BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

How to change 2003 Z4 thermostat - Help!

Z4 
5K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Droptop85 
#1 ·
2003 Z4 E84, temp guage shoots to far right over-hot for a second then retrurns to normal. Engine check light is on as well. Heater only blows hot air intermittently but usually just cold even though temp setting in the cab is all the way hot. I figured it was time to replace the thermostat but have not yet done this on my Z4. Need your help, pics, videos, etc.

#5 ·
ZEEBOY, sorry for the delay in follow up. Many thanks!! You were spot on with the air in the coolant system tip. New to BMW maintenance and was not aware of this problem even existing. But it was exactly that, simple to remedy. Thanks for being out there helping us newbies!!
Pete82

#6 ·
These cars have a fail safe thermastate. Once the thermastate reaches a certain amount of high psi it is forced open. This explains the engine overheating and then cooling down a bit. I would replace the thermastate, water pump, and exansion tank at the same time as these typically all fail at the same time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.