BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

330xi vibration- possible center driveshaft bearing, but no other issues

25K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  majors03 
#1 ·
Hey all,

My 2003 BMW 330xi, 95,000miles, 6 speed, has vibration (no clunking) while under full acceleration, starting at 3500 RPM+ in any gear. I can't seem to figure out why, so I'd like to tap into all the knowledge of this forum!

Last weekend, I did the following to attempt to fix the issue:
1) Replaced both front drive shafts w/ new aftermarket units purchased from FCP Groton. (originally thought that was the "for sure" issue, did have minor clicking while turning.)
2) Front and rear diff changed with Castrol synthetic 75w-90.
3) Replaced transfer case fluid with Redline D4.

A few months ago, I installed new swaybar end links & lower control arm bushings (L & R) and had a recent mount and balance of winter tires. Everything in the suspension/brake department seems great.

At this point I'm looking further into the drivetrain. From what I've read on various forums, it seems the center bearing (usually) only fails when something else (i.e. guibo/flex plate) has failed. I've closely inspected my flex plates and they seems to be in great condition, no movement of the bolts or shredding of rubber.

My question is:
Does anyone know of the rubber supporting the center drive shaft bearing simply going bad by itself? I currently suspect the center differential bearing bushing might be bad- it has a bit of movement when I grab it. However, I'm not sure what "normal" is, Should the driveshaft be rigid at that point? Or am I not thinking of something else that may be causing my issues? I uploaded a quick video at http://youtu.be/z0cbw29xzpo of my center bearing & rubber flexing when I grab and pull on it. I did not totally remove the exhaust or heat shield so I had to fight to get a camera in there.

Thanks again for any insight into this issue!

See less See more
#3 ·
I think you're right to be looking at the center differential. A vibration in my 2001 330xi that occurred under very light throttle at 45-60 mph was finally identified as being caused by that diff. It was gradually getting worse; first started being noticeable at 125K, was one reason I got rid of it at 145K, as replacing the thing would have been pricey.

#4 ·
Thanks floydarogers for the suggestion. I believe the vibration is only due to RPM because higher engine speeds creates more power, and whatever is causing this vibration only shows up under higher loads. It takes much more power to get a vehicle moving than to keep it moving. If I'm at a high RPM, but constant speed, there is no vibration.

I only know of the transfer case (which is in the center) and the front and rear differential. Regardless, how was the center differential diagnosed as the issue on your car? What I don't want to do is just randomly start replacing parts. That is a PITA, plus can end up being a lot of $$$ for nothing. When I changed my transfer case fluid it was pretty dark, but no chunks or metallic items came out that I observed.

#5 ·
... Regardless, how was the center differential diagnosed as the issue on your car? What I don't want to do is just randomly start replacing parts...
We eliminated everything else. The shop worked on it 3-4 times, but eventually managed to narrow it down. I had two sets of tires/wheels (snow/summer), which was a big help in eliminating balance type problems. I had also replaced CABs and other suspension bits at 110K... Some other minor bits as well. And, my front diff had failed, so it was new.

I guess I was lucky that it started manifesting itself after all that stuff had been done as part of "normal" 100K-120K maintenance.

#7 · (Edited)
I can tell you that I have a *similar* problem where I get a vibration under load / acceleration, and it's definitely coming from the rear of the car. It also occurs most noticeably around 3,500-4000 RPM in 2nd gear. It's almost non-existent in other gears. I replaced the driveshaft center bearing and support last year and the rubber was indeed totally cooked, while the bearing itself was basically fine. The sound went away COMPLETELY for a while but now it's back, to a lesser degree. I was under there the other day and inspected the center bearing support; it was not torn, though it seemed to have a little more play than I thought it did when it was new. If there was an HD version I would have used it.

I think that torn rubber support was definitely causing the noise / vibration, but I am now thinking that play elsewhere in the system (motor mounts, trans mounts, diff mounts, etc) is wearing out the rubber support at a much faster rate than normal. So basically I ease off the throttle 10 % at that RPM and never hear it. If I have the exhaust off again sometime I might replace the support bearing assembly again and just ease off the throttle a bit at those speeds (I know, no fun).

So if I were you, I'd maybe try replacing that and the driveshaft/transmission coupler (aka guibo) and see where you're at.... not to throw parts at it but those aren't too bad in the grand scheme of things.

#9 ·
Same old, same old...

So if I were you, I'd maybe try replacing that and the driveshaft/transmission coupler (aka guibo) and see where you're at.... not to throw parts at it but those aren't too bad in the grand scheme of things.
'72Ford- I replaced the center driveshaft bearing over the weekend with a new OEM bearing/carrier. While I was down there, I checked the rear guibo (it was in great shape), and moved the disconnected driveshaft in various directions to see if there was any play/binding/etc from the u-joints- there was not, they also seem fine.

I put everything back together and was really not too surprised to find the exact same vibration under heavy acceleration issues I was trying to resolve. I was skeptical because the new center bearing/carrier had similar flex in the rubber to the unit I just replaced. It is apparent to me now that the bearing carrier rubber movement I thought was excessive was in fact normal.

Multiple test drives, with riders and stethoscope. Inspections and stethoscope use on rack.
Floydarogers- did you notice any metal particles in the center diff fluid when you changed it to suggest failure of that component? I'm still trying to get to the bottom of this issue!

Thanks all!

#13 · (Edited)
So you did replace the front axles? Since you said "both driveshafts" I'll assume thats what you meant. Did the vibration change in any way after the FCP axles were installed? IF it did its probably still the axles. Many have had issues with the aftermarket axles vibrations being a fair amount of those issues.

If you havent really changed your axles then:

The most common issue issue for vibration on acceleration symptoms in the XI are the front axles. Dry (lacking Grease) inner CV joints to be exact. You need to rule this out before trying anything else. Inspect all of the CV joints and look for rips/tears, grease leakage etc. One important aspect to note is that the joints can look perfectly fine from the outside but that doesnt mean that there is grease in there. The inner CV joints on these BMWs have a very viscous grease (more like a thick oil than grease) used in the inner cv joints. What happens is that over time the clamp on the inner joint slacks off and allows the grease to escape.

-GCoop

#16 ·
I can tell you that I had a similar baffling issue that lead me to the drive shaft. It may have been the bearing in the center however I just purchased a used drive shaft assembly for $75 at a junk yard and had it installed for $250. WALA vibration, which always occurred at around 55-65 mph, gone! It took me along time to find this. I spend several trips to BMW dealer. First it was bad wheels, so I had them repaired/straightened out. Then it was tires. The dealer actually proposed to, replace all wheels and tires at an astronomical cost of thousands. I said F--k that. Took it to an auto-import repair place, got it up on the rack, used a stethoscope and narrowed it down to either drive shaft or transfer case. Took a chance on the drive shaft.

Now I have a new vibration issue at idle after just replacing spark plugs. Replaced Vanos's, cam sensors, coils, no luck. What a friggin joke this GD car is.

Nice car when it works, but bleeding me to death with maintenance costs/upkeep.

My findings are, half the battle is buying one, the other half is paying to keep the fkn thin on the road. Much more cars out there comparable in features and way more reliable.
BMW? Never again.

#17 · (Edited)
I would appreciate any help on this issue. 2001 330 CI. I had the typical heavy vibration felt like right under the center console at 27-30 under even light acceleration. I jacked it up pulled the exhaust and heat shield and sure enough the rubber in the center bearing was worn out and the bearing had a fair amount of slop in it. Pulled the bearing out and while I was there replaced the flex disk and transmission mounts. The flex disk actually looked to be in great condition, it may have been replaced already. The transmission mounts measured 30mm while the new ones measured 33mm which I though, (good thing I'm changing these.) The only universal joint seemed to be completely clunk free and neither stiff nor sloppy. I got the car with 142K on it with a blown head gasket which I fixed 5 years ago. Now has 178K on it. Just got it ALL back together and it is still about the same. Maybe the vibration is better under very light load, but it may actually be worse under moderate load. This car is not like what is shown in the Bently manual. Only one U Joint and a CV joint at the rear end. The vibration definitely seems to come right under my right arm. WTF!

#18 · (Edited)
... center bearing was worn out and the bearing had a fair amount of slop in it. Pulled the bearing out and while I was there replaced the flex disk and transmission mounts. ... The only universal joint seemed to be completely clunk free and neither stiff nor sloppy. I got the car with 142K on it with a blown head gasket which I fixed 5 years ago. Now has 178K on it. Just got it ALL back together and it is still about the same. Maybe the vibration is better under very light load, but it may actually be worse under moderate load. This car is not like what is shown in the Bently manual. Only one U Joint and a CV joint at the rear end. The vibration definitely seems to come right under my right arm. WTF!
I had the same symptoms--vibration under right arm. I also found a torn rubber diaphragm on the CSB but flex disc was in good shape. I replaced them both (flex disc and CSB). I also replaced my "transmission mount" which on AWD is a single bushing in the transfer case. But I also found the rear-most u-joint to be very stiff and gritty feeling, clearing needing replacement. A driveshaft shop removed and replaced the u-joint. Now all is well. I drive a 325xi, which has a different driveshaft of course. This happened to me at 144k miles.

My vibration went away. Your u-joint was in apparently good condition. It's the only thing you didn't do though. IDK. Good luck. :dunno:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.