BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Do I dare trade my c6 z06 in for an m3 coupe?

12K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  6spdg37s 
#1 · (Edited)
The thought has crossed my mind...

I love my z06 to death... I put about 2k in work into it and it is a beast. I run 11 at the track all day. It only has 13k miles on it... and I love it more than any car Ive ever had. Ive also had it for 2 years and 6 months making it last 2 years 3 months longer than any other car ive owned.

I am itching for an M3.. I could technically keep the z06 and get the M3 but with the unstable economy and job market if I were to end up unemployed one of the 2 could potentially be getting repod...

decisions decisions...

also side note .. are people now ordering the f30 m3 coupe?

my 08 z06 black on black
-corsa exhaust

some of my time slips car 7656

See less See more
#4 ·
Just for a change of scenery I suppose. I really would like to keep my vette as well though ...

I have car ADD generally and have changed cars like every 6 -12 months

g37s coupe 6 speed, dodge viper srt-10 convt , bmw 750Li, infiniti m35x , acura tl-s, infiniti i35t, few various streetbikes, nissan 240sx

#6 · (Edited)
I also have owned many cars. Jus' for fun I went to my local Corvette dealer two nights ago....I went with an open mind, and with the hope, at the very least, that this would be fun. (BTW I am not a Corvette hater - I owned two briefly in the past). In short the driving experience, however brief, was indeed fun - no denying that the Corvette is fast. I started to get swept away by my "something new - somethng fast" enthusiasm until I stepped back and reflected. At 6'3" and 210 lbs - I had to shoehorn myself into the car. I could not take a long drive in a Corvette without suffering significant fatigue. The interior had an upgraded leather interior, but the design left me cold. Moreover, the quality - especially the hardware - was a definite turnoff. . My overal impression of the car was that it was indeed fun, but it was a lot of money for something not particularily well made. The Corvette did not satisfy my personal needs or desires.

When I purchased my M3, I thought I would use it only as a weekend and pleasure car. However, I soon found the car was addicative and it has become my daily driver - every morning I push the start button and hear the rasp of the exhaust - is a good morning! The M3 is a great GT - fast, and wonderfully responsive - it offers the driver a very "connective" experience. Moreover, I find the car to be more comfy than even a 650i - it is one of the very few sports cars I know that I have to advance the driver's seat forward - I have room to spare. Moreover, I can bring my German shepherd with me on spirited drives in the mountains, and at other times, there is room for family and friends. I would characterize both the exterior and interior styling as purposeful - conveying a quiet athletic intensity.The M3 aesthetically and dynamically just works for me. The M3 is the decathelon champ.

You are obviously very passionate about your Corvette - and sports cars are less about what is practical, than what floats your boat. I say, go drive an M3 - then decide. I think in the end you will probably stay with your 'vette, just as I am happier with my M3 - it's all about passion....

#12 ·
No tech package? Might as well. I find it very convenient.

I have the enhanced sound, it's very nice to my ears, but I'm not an expert.

#14 ·
Tech Package was an older option. My 2010 M3 had it. I think you are correct in stating it's now the Premium Package.

Rob

#16 · (Edited)
6 Speed,

I'd love to hear what you like about the M3 as compared to your Z06 and what you miss or might miss about it.

Since the 60s, I've loved Corvettes and just never owned one let alone test drove one. Last year after I spent way too much money on a repair to my well loved, well cared for, but well used 99 Lexus GS 400, I test drove a Z06. I was surprised how blasé I felt about it. Quite surprised. I read some reviews and they were lukewarm about some things. and they loved other things. The seats and the steering seemed to be the biggest complaints. (Power was impressive, but the handling was not).

In March, I was looking at Corvettes again and saw an M3 and test drove it. WOW, instant love. I test drove a Corvette Grand Sport, and again wasn't that impressed. I wanted something that made me WANT to drive it all the time. The M3 did that for me.

Now that I've owned the M3 for some months, I wish the M3 were as iconic as Corvettes are, but I sure am glad I bought the M3.

I'd love to hear your thoughts and comments regardless is you decide to keep your Z06 or if you get the M3. I'd love to hear your likes and dislikes of the M3.

Thanks and good luck with your decision.

Rob

#17 ·
Good post. I don't have a background in Vette's, but definitely 'get' the driving part of the M3. I get in every morning, listen to the rumble, stutter during warmup, all the quirky noises. Taking it up to 8K is just...wondrous.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.