BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

328i coupe v ix coupe

1K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Chop362 
#1 ·
in the northeast i models are almost impossible to find. it is my understanding the ix coupe,even with sport pkg,does not have the sport suspension,correct? if so, is the handling difference substantial between the ix and i coupes? I can't even find an i coupe to test drive!!

does the 335 have sport suspension or is that an option too?..why do so many bimmerfesters recommend the 335 even though it has that documented fuel pump problem?

#2 ·
the 335 has the turbo in it......In NJ, there are i coupes. I actually test drove a DINAN3...which is a 335i with the DINAN performance package.....what a sick car. I got the 335xi with the M package, and even that car doesnt come with the sport suspension.

#4 ·
There is a lot of debate on this issue. I've never drive a coupe with Xdrive. However, my experience with the recent iterations of the ZSP suspension convince me that the difference in handling is noticeable even in daily driving (and I'm saying this as somebody who does not have ZSP and still would not buy it today). There is less body roll, a quicker turn in, and a much more "tossable" feel. Its definitely the sportier vehicle.

There is a cost in ride comfort though, although I believe that gets overstated sometimes. The ZSP suspension brings a more nervous ride - I took one on the rolling pavement of the stretch of the I-5 near me and I felt like I was in a boat on a stormy sea. I personally don't see it as umcomfortable at all but it is not optimal for urban areas with bad roads.

Incidentally, the Xdrive suspension has some ride issues too. Its not ideal either, at least as far as ride comfort is concerned.

#5 ·
does the 335 have sport suspension or is that an option too?..why do so many bimmerfesters recommend the 335 even though it has that documented fuel pump problem?
If you are buying new, shouldn't be a BIG problem. Yes, high pressure fuel pump can fail on a new N55 engine, but from what I succeeded to read it was early march 2010 built models. Mine has 12,000 miles on it (05/10) and for now is OK.

Why would I recommend 335i? I probably wouldn't but for completely different reasons than others. The problem is, IF you are not willing to break the laws, there's very little you can do here in U.S. to fully enjoy 335i. If you still go for it, don't do European Delivery - you might hate it here for months after that. I know I did.

Other than that, 335i is a great vehicle that can really transform itself to a full-hooligan mode with a downshift and pressed gas pedal, low torque is absolutely addicting and I love playing the video-game of feathering it out of the corner going as fast out as possible without nannies flashing up - very nice educational tool with all that torque low so you don't end up in jail on public roads.

My 2 cents.

#6 ·
Around here, I couldn't find any 328i vehicles either. My guess is that when people have enough money to buy a new BMW off the lot in New England, they have enough to buy the xi and they figure it's safer. So the dealers take that into account as they spec out their vehicles. And if you want the MT, you won't find a thing. Thank God, we can order what we want.

The sports suspension is great fun on good roads. You can really feel the road grain through the wheel. I love it. But you can also really feel each defect. And get into some temporarily patched road full of potholes or a bad bridge deck and you better be at 10 and 2, fully attentive... it ain't for the meek.

I've never regretted my choice. I respect the 335 and the drivers that choose it, but the 328i is no slouch.

Sent from my DROIDX using BimmerApp

#7 ·
Also an ix has a smidge higher ride height. I don't think that has been mentioned.

#8 · (Edited)
I had the sport suspension on my Mini cooper and you can really feel the difference between that and the standard suspension.

While I enjoyed the "go-cart"like feel of the Mini and believe me they are fun to drive.....I also can appreciate the smoother ride of my 328xi. The winter tires aren't helping things right now but it is a much smoother (but not quite as sporty) ride.

Also, my wife has a Honda Element SC (sport suspension, lowered, 18" wheels etc...) and that is one harsh ride over rough roads but it handles around corners like a dream while the standard Elements have a lot of body roll around most corners.....

#9 ·
I had an 07 328i and it really stunk in the bad weather, not just the snow. IMO, i dont care what tires you put on an i, the car is rear wheel drive, and will not respond well, especially in the snow. I would actually slide sideways down the street in the snow. I was soooooo happy to get rid of it and get an xi.

#12 ·
New Englandahs love their AWD just like they love their Dunkin Donuts coffee with 8 sugers and loads of half and half. Toss your standard New England resident an AWD car and they'll be happy as a fly on sh!t (and think their invincible). They also love BMWs, hence the prevalence of the AWD 3 series in the region.

If you're not willing to order from the factory, it could take some time and patience to find the car you're looking for. For me, it took almost 3 months and a 400 mile drive out to Buffalo, NY to find the right car.

I bought my 335i after reading a years worth of complaints about the fuel pump. (I didn't buy into the HPFP craze). I had the symptoms of a failing pump for a week and simply took it to the dealership where they replaced the pump. No hassle. No failed pump. No limp mode. No big deal. It's just a matter of being aware of the symptoms, and taking action when and if necessary.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.