BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

What has been your best MPG/range on your X3

14K views 58 replies 33 participants last post by  tcoop 
#1 ·
I know we have done this before, but what has been your best MPG and range you have achieved in your E83?

After 3 years of ownership of my 2009 and a little over 77k miles I just hit my best single trip MPG and range on a 417 mile trip from Sacramento to Los Angeles. Although I did fill up before I hit rush hour traffic I was on track to a 460 mile range and a MPG of 25.1. My average speed before traffic was 72.1 and after arrival was 64.5 (darn traffic).

My consumption 2 hasn't been reset in 7 months on my nav board computer and it shows a combined city/hwy (mostly hwy) of 22.8.

#5 ·
Interesting website, hadn't seen it before. Collects a lot of data for X3's, as well as other cars. Worth taking a look at.

For what it's worth, my best MPG was about 26.5 running about 70 - 75 down I-5 to L.A. Never tested range, always try to fill up before that becomes an issue.

#7 ·
Click the signature..........current tank is averaging 9 l/100km according to the BC using midgrade, no-ethanol fuel.

#9 ·
18 city, 22 highway (using gas from AAFES). When filled at sunoco, i usually get 19/23. Overall comp averages around 19.5ish, but i also have a lead foot (high speeds 85-95 mph).

#10 ·
Never gotten more than 17/23 and 20 combined, also have a lead foot. You gotta stop thinking about your gas mileage if you want to enjoy your drive! If not, get a Prius! ;)

#13 ·
Usually about 17 in town and 22 on the road. Best speed for my '06 3.0 is 70 mph, seems to be happy there and returns decent mileage. I think the trip down I-5 going south is "down hill" as I always did better going there than coming home mileage wise.:angel:

#14 ·
I average 22, but that is mostly highway (at 70-80 mph mind you). On our trips to the beach which is an 8 hour cruise we were getting close to 27 mpg. That was doing about 65-70 and no dramatic speed changes.

I still think whatever they treat the gas with during cold months and the temp itself eats about 1-3 mpg, but that could also be the added heater and ac/defog adjustments.

#15 ·
... I still think whatever they treat the gas with during cold months and the temp itself eats about 1-3 mpg, but that could also be the added heater and ac/defog adjustments.
Those things certainly all contribute. As well as the fuel mixture, which remains richer for a longer period of time after start-up (until the engine reaches operating temperature). It just takes a bit longer to warm everything up during the winter months...

I generally get ~18 mpg in pure city driving; ~22 mpg in mixed; and 25-27 mpg on the highway.

#17 ·
I live on central new jersey and idk of its because I have 135k miles or a lead foot and a 2.5, but my gas is like at best 22 on the high way...if I reset as I'm coasting at 70 to 80 between 2500 and 3000 rpms I get like 26 but idk if thats true. Given I went from driving a Mercedes s500....which I also had a lead foot, but getting 16 highway keeping it below 2000rpms

#18 ·
Generally with the smaller engined 2,5 litre, I find that above 120km/h (74mph) the fuel consumption decreases rapidly. When I cruise and average closer to 150km/h (93mph or so) I usually get no better than around 20 US mpg (11,6 l/100km) dependent on terrain.

#22 ·
A lot of the time, I wish I had the newer, more efficient 2,5si engine. But then when I step on the throttle.....it's all okay (prefer the sound of the older M54 engine) :p

#23 ·
My BEST mpg is 24.8, at a "partial" fill-up (took only 8.9 gal). At a more complete fill-up (took 15.7 gal), my best is 23.7 mpg. I've had the car just over 3 years now, and I'm still averaging 21.2 mpg overall, with a daily mix of hi-way and city driving in central Jersey, but lately my mileage has been going down -- only averaged 20.8 over the past year. Perhaps this is due to the new tires, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus (versus the OEM Pirelli Scorpions).

Charlie
07 X3 3.0 6MT silver-gray sand-black sport/premium/xenon/heated/privacy

#24 ·
My best MPG over approximately 660 miles of interstate driving at around 70 - 80 MPH has been a solid 24.5 - 25 MPG per the trip computer. Recently I made that same trip, without AC in the cooler fall weather and nailed 28 MPG. All this on ethanol free fuel. 2007 model, 60k miles, new primacy tires, good inlfation/alignment, oil changes, etc.

#31 ·
It's interesting to hear that the petrol versions are similar to my 3.0 sd oil burner. I'm getting 12.3km/l or around 28mpg on a 1300k trip at an average of 103 km/h and 10.3km/l around town. Great thing with the sd is, when you want to exercise your right foot you've got 210KW and a ship load of torque.

#33 ·
Yes, we know! You're making us jealous! :banghead:

Whoever comes out with the first compact diesel SUV and/or wagon will probably make some good revenue. I mean, given the success of larger diesel SUVs in the US, the demand is there........but I think the sticking issue will be whether Americans are willing to pay a premium for a small SUV. It'll likely cost well into large SUV territory and generally Americans shop along price points; they don't see the value of a smaller package if it costs more than a larger package.

#38 ·
Ok, I did a quick test this morning on my way to work and tried to get my best MPG (without over doing it)

I reset the speed and MPG on the OBC as soon I got in the Interstate, drove 22 miles and averaged 73 MPH:

Got 26.7 MPG

Reset OBC again when I exited the highway, drove 2 miles averaging 33.7 MPH:

Got 17.5

So I guess these are my best numbers so far.

P.S. It was so boring! Promise I won't do it again! :)

#39 ·
P.S. It was so boring! Promise I won't do it again! :)
I like seeing how low I can get my fuel consumption, although I don't keep the BC display on the average (it's too depressing to watch- I just use the instant consumption readings). When conditions are appropriate, I also stop-start the engine at long stops and have been doing so for years.

Can't say I an eco-mentalist but I do what I can to save fuel and my chequebook (and reduce CO² emissions). It's always depressing to think of how far technology has progressed. The M5 is more eco-friendly than my X3 and makes 3x the power. :bawling:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.