BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Harman Kardon worth the upgrade?

102K views 109 replies 67 participants last post by  mshu 
#1 ·
Ordering a 335 and saw a CNET review where the guy talked about how awful the Harman Kardon stereo was in the 3 series. He is only one guy and reviews all sorts of cars....so who knows.

Anyone that is into tunes do any extensive comparison and have any quick input for me?

Anyone done the upgrade and been happy/unhappy with it?

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
I have it I have not had a chance to play with it yet nor listen to a CD. I will post when I do. the reason I got it was because my 07 E90 base system was average at best. I also have a base system in the X5, that one is better but nothing to get super excited about. I am hoping the HK is worth it.

#3 ·
I'm not a huge audiophile, but I hear parts of music with the HK system that I have not heard in previous cars. It would be a "definite get" on my options list.

#4 ·
Ordering a 335 and saw a CNET review where the guy talked about how awful the Harman Kardon stereo was in the 3 series. He is only one guy and reviews all sorts of cars....so who knows.

Anyone that is into tunes do any extensive comparison and have any quick input for me?

Thanks in advance!
That guy is an idiot lol. It's one of the best cound systems in a car. On the other forum, an audiophile/installer did a massive review with instrumentation and said it's one of the best stock systems he has heard in a car

Must get.

#11 ·
If you listen to I-Pods you'll absolutely love the HK system. If you are an audiophile that listens to high end stuff in an acoustically adjusted room you'll be listening to a lot of talk radio.

It is a major improvement over the last HK system I had in my 08 550.

#13 ·
If you enjoy audio it is absolutely worth it. You aren't going to get the same experience as a high-end audio system in a dedicated room, but you'd never get that in a car.

#19 ·
You have an F30 with the base system?

I have to disagree. Although not what I would call audio nirvana, the base system is very good. Definitely not a POS. Much better than the system that came in my TSX (which I upgraded) or the systems I've heard in my friends vehicles. I have not heard the HK system in the F30 nor have I heard the systems that came in the E90.

#21 ·
I have the HK as well. I used to have a bose audio upgraded kit on an old Nissan I used to own with a really powerful amp. Coming from that the HK is mediocre at best. So what I'm really saying is that don't expect it to blow your mind but instead consider it just as a nice upgrade to the base system. That being said, the HK was worth the upgrade for me because if I didn't do it the only other choice that I would've been stuck with was the base system. The sounds are a bit more refined and distinctive once you play around with the equalizer settings.

#23 ·
Yes, and any good aftermarket setup will cost substantially more than the $875 HK system. Plan on spending at least a couple thousand, and probably more, for a premium quality upgrade.

:drive:

#24 ·

Thanks in advance!
I'm in the minority here, but because my E90 sound system was so bleak the jump to the stock F30 stock system was mind-blowingly good. In the US, the stock system is an upgrade to the base system they have in Europe, so it's better than base but below HK, somewhere in the middle.

So my advice to you is this: If the $800 is going to stand in the way of you getting a really important option like the Lighting Package or the Technology Package or PDC and the Rear Camera, skip it and use the money towards those. If price is no object, go get it.

A car's cabin is not a great place to listen to music anyway, AM/FM/Satellite/iPod is all compressed as it is, I find that it gets to a certain level of above-averageness and that's enough.

BJ

#26 ·
I recently did test drives of about an hour and a half in an F30 with the standard audio and one with HK. I listened to the sound systems for a good portion of each of those drives (turning them off when things got interesting on back roads and enjoying the sound of the engine). The standard system is OK. Certainly listenable. It is not nearly as good a system as the HK. If you can and you enjoy listening to music spring for the HK. You won't regret it.

#28 ·
Another update. I played my benchmark song this am to compare - Chop Me Up bu Justin Timberlake. I played at very loud volume with windows rolled up ofcourse. It sounded AWESOME. Made me want to have a dance party in the car. Highly recommend the HK.

#31 ·
LOL. No, that's my benchmark song to compare audio systems. Been using it for years. Used it to pick Beats HI FI over Bose. And to measure stock F30 system against HK.

#51 ·
From your lips, to BMW's ears. If only, If only...I would take it in a heartbeat, damn the price.

I have the PS package. If you like to listen to music a lot, and at higher volumes, go ahead and pony up for the PS package. The HK is an upgrade from the base system, however I find it passable at best. In a 50K+ car, I had hoped for better. The HK in the BMW is only slightly better then the HK system in the Legacy I had, and that car costs almost 20K less. Cmon BMW, step up to the plate and offer B&O or some other high end system in your 3 series cars, we'll pay for it, we promise!!

For the HK system, turn off the L7 surround, and adjust the EQ to your liking. It makes a big difference. With the L7 surround on, it's really not good and the sound is artificial. Personally, I've always found HK to be overrated as a premium sound system.

Note: If you plan on keeping the car for a long time, I would even consider taking the base, and going AM. Cost will be higher, but you'll get exactly what you want.

#37 · (Edited)
Cranked up some Bob Marley and The Wailers the other day. Gotta say it sounded rather awesome on the standard system. Not sure if my hearing could detect $800 improvement in the audio system. However I can't help but occasionally consider if the HK system may have been worth the upgrade. It may be worth the peace of mind knowing that you got all the best that the brand had to offer at the time of purchase.

#40 ·
im all about EDM. and it sounds ****ing awesome on the HK.

any fellow EDM fans, let me know and i ill give you some epic songs for HK

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.