BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Removing Virbration Damper from M52TU HELP!!!

11K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  cracker928 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 1999 528i with a M52TU engine which I need to replace the Vibration Damper on the crankshaft. I ordered the special tools 11 8 190, 11 8 200 and 11 8 210 to remove this damper and install a new one however my particular Vibration Damper has 6 screws holes and not three oval shaped slots to insert the special tool 11 8 200 into. The center hex bolt which is torqued down to the crankshaft has a flared out lip on it like a washer which holds the "outer" pulley to the vibration damper. (See picture.) How do I attached the special tools I have to keep the crankshaft from turning and remove this center bolt then remove the Vibration Damper? Help ASAP!!!

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Gentlemen:

Thank you for your reply. I am still confused as the center bolt seems to be holding the pulleys on the crankshaft. When I try to remove this bolt, the crankshaft turns moving the pistons, flywheel, etc. There must be a way to secure it with a special tool or a plug to keep fly wheel from turning.. I have noticed a "plug" between the two bottom screw holes on the right (See new pic attached) ... However, there is a way to lock the flywheel from turning with the plug in back of the engine (going into the torque converter)... perhaps this is the manner to secure it?

#7 ·
you DO NOT need to remove the center bolt to remove the damper. Period. The center bolt holds a hub onto the end of the crank. The hub is what the 6 bolts thread into.

I see you added a pic to your original post. The arrow is the locating dowel, which stays in the hub.

Soak the thing in some PB blast and tap with a rubber mallet if you have to, it's just seized on there. The AC pulley AND the damper will come off, while the center nut stays.

The only time you need to remove the hub is for taking off the timing cover. They make a special tool which bolts on in place of the damper to hold the crank. That special tool is number 112150 but it is not needed for what you are doing.

I've had enough of these apart to know. You're making a big job out of nothing here.

#11 ·
ahh I see. Sorry I was close but not 100% on my info. The 98 I had done had a two piece pulley system. The AC pulley was sandwiched on top of the damper. Same overall thing though. Looking again I see your damper also does not have the same "bumps" on the outer edge as mine pictured. There were a lot of little changes between late 98 production and 99 production. It's hard to keep it all straight.

Glad to be of help though, and no, I am far from a genius. :) Just a case of been there, done that, got the Tshirt.

#12 ·
I am about to dive into the same job for my '99 528iT and have the same setup. My reason for doing so is to replace the front crank seal. I have two questions after reading this thread.

First is, will I need to dig deeper than this and with special tools to replace the seal?

Second is, how do I keep the crank from turning while loosening/tightening the six pulley bolts?

Thanks in advance,
Neil

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.