BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Removed intake manny, valves carbon help?

868 views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  194449 
#1 ·
Hey guys! I had to the intake manifold in order to get to the water pipe leak which I have. As I inspect things the CCV has gjunk in it tubes going to the oil spout has is gunked too. I'm going to be replacing the CCV and the tubes as well as all the vacuum but I noticed that the valves had a lot of carbon buildup on the tops of them. What's the best way to clean these? Can I use throttle cleaner on top of the valves in the intake area to clean it up? Then use a small vacuum with the hose to suck out things in there? I don't want anything to get down in the engine however I hate leaving it dirty like that. Your thoughts??

#3 · (Edited)
Seafoam or some other de-carbonizing solvent...

I recently did this job on my '99 528i, and the intake ports and tops of the intake valves (as far in as I could see, anyway) were spotless.

My car runs Chevron premium with Techron. You might try the Techron additive later on in a few tanks of gas.

#8 ·
I just removed my intake manifold yesterday to replace the heater inlet pipe and water pipe as well. This was my second time removing the mani - valves look spotless. I cleaned the manifold with throttle body cleaner and Brakleen non chlorinated. Used brushes to get gunk out of the ram tubes and runners. I also used Brakleen sprayed onto a rag to clean the slightly browned intake ports on the head but didn't touch the valves. Auto part Automotive engine part
Vehicle Engine Auto part Car Bumper
Bumper Auto part Vehicle Subcompact car Engine
Auto part Engine Bumper Automotive exterior Vehicle
Eyewear Auto part Sunglasses

#10 ·
Mine looked gross when I took my manifold off. There was also quite a bit of gas sitting there.

Sent from my SPH-M840 using BimmerApp mobile app

Attachments

#11 ·
Btw, does the heater and water pipes need two Orings on them? There seems to be a place for two... One set inside the housing and the other in the channel of the end of the pipes. Also, I noticed a slight build up of white (cream colored) residue inside the pipes. I assume that this is through out the cooling system arteries. Is there anyway to clean this out throughout the engine ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.