BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2013 550 w/ 445hp?

4K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  agraham2252 
#1 ·
#2 ·
It appears so. Surprised they didn't bump up the power on the 535i to match the 740i.

#3 ·
I'm very surprised. But good for them. The Audi S6 can go home now.

#4 ·
I thought there were rumors that the extra power would be part of a m performance option, but i guess they made it standard.

#5 ·
Does the 2013 550s come with 445hp? Here's what I saw on the bmwusa website:

"4.4-liter BMW TwinPower Turbo V-8, 32-valve 445-hp engine. Combines two turbochargers with variable valve control (Double-VANOS and Valvetronic) and high-precision direct injection"
But at two other places, on the 550i area front page and within the specs. section of the they still list it @ 400hp. So either they made a mistake in the highlights section or they haven't updated the front page and specs. sections yet.

#7 ·
I think they would need to revamp the entire line to introduce that into the 550. That is probably way they did not do it now. The 445hp comes with better efficiency. It would eat into both the M5 and 535 markets. Right now they have a nice predictable porfolio distribution on the F10. If they intro the 445 now, they'd probably stock out quickly. My guess is 2014 with full line LCI. It will be interesting to see what happens, my guess is they will need to drop the hybrid, upgrade the 535 and 550 and leave the 528 alone. They will need to prep for 550 sales going up substantially with respect to the 535. Just my guess.

#9 ·
Just to add to the confusion, I just got back last night from my ED of my 550i xdrive. The guy introducing me to my car was Benjamin. I specifically asked him what engine was in my car. He said no one had ever asked him such a thing. I told him that I was an engineer and was interested in details and if my engine had the valvetronic technology. He left me there with my new car for 20 minutes and talked on the phone and came back with a yellow sticky which I just stuck in my pocket and drove off into the German sunset. All it said was S63B44TO with valvetronic. After a few moments on the web looking at this that night I wish I had just gone back and asked them again as that is what is in the M5, etc. In my dreams that would be true, but seem unlikely, but that is what I was told at the Welt in writing if a sticky is writing. Fastest car I have ever owned but is was just out of the break-in period at `1200 miles when I turned it in but I do not have calibrated accelerometers build in.

It did not have the 3 electronic dash boards reported earlier. I was told that that was just coming out on some of the 7 series.

In an earlier post, I had asked my CA, David Aviles and he asked the regional tech guy who refused to give an answer.

It will be here in a couple of months and perhaps they will clarify by then as there is a lot of conflicting information out there.

#10 ·
You must have an outdated page refresh on that site link...when I clicked on your link it says 400hp...

#11 ·
Or it was there and they "fixed" it.

My money is that BMW is sandbagging the HP numbers on the 550 either to differentiate it from the M5 or for some other marketing reason.

#14 ·
previously I posted:

agraham2252

Mein auto: 330xi
View My Garage
Just to add to the confusion, I just got back last night from my ED of my 550i xdrive. The guy introducing me to my car was Benjamin. I specifically asked him what engine was in my car. He said no one had ever asked him such a thing. I told him that I was an engineer and was interested in details and if my engine had the valvetronic technology. He left me there with my new car for 20 minutes and talked on the phone and came back with a yellow sticky which I just stuck in my pocket and drove off into the German sunset. All it said was S63B44TO with valvetronic. After a few moments on the web looking at this that night I wish I had just gone back and asked them again as that is what is in the M5, etc. In my dreams that would be true, but seem unlikely, but that is what I was told at the Welt in writing if a sticky is writing. Fastest car I have ever owned but is was just out of the break-in period at `1200 miles when I turned it in but I do not have calibrated accelerometers build in.

It did not have the 3 electronic dash boards reported earlier. I was told that that was just coming out on some of the 7 series.

In an earlier post, I had asked my CA, David Aviles and he asked the regional tech guy who refused to give an answer.

It will be here in a couple of months and perhaps they will clarify by then as there is a lot of conflicting information out there.

*****************************************************************************************

Given the recall on the M5 and M6 with the S63TU, I wonder if I should panic with my new 550i in transit? I guess that I do not know how to proceed.

Any suggestions would be welcome

#16 ·
That reply helps and I will check with my CA on the VIN number listing. As my car is in transit to the US there is nothing to be done about it for a while.

Just a side note, I was surprised that the instrument cluster with extended content was not on my 550i with the executive package.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.