Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 10-10-2013, 11:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 x28
Nav maps version in 2014 X3?

Hi, what maps version is factory installed on the 2014 X3? Mine came with version 2013-1.

Shouldn't it be 2014-1? Can I ask dealer for a free upgrade to this version?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo1.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	401440  
Advertisement
Old 10-10-2013, 11:22 AM
2014X3*****

Mein Auto: X3
Nav maps version in 2014 X3?

I was about to ask this. My x3 is just 3 weeks old. But today I got an email that new nav upgrade is available at $250.

I thought NAV upgrade is free.

Again this is brand new to pay and upgrade.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-11-2013, 05:51 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
haha, this is a cheapo cash grab by BMW. Map updates should be free during the warranty period. You can buy a TomTom for $100 with lifetime updates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinkhai View Post
I was about to ask this. My x3 is just 3 weeks old. But today I got an email that new nav upgrade is available at $250.

I thought NAV upgrade is free.

Again this is brand new to pay and upgrade.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-12-2013, 07:30 AM

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i / '03 F350
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_us View Post
Hi, what maps version is factory installed on the 2014 X3? Mine came with version 2013-1.

Shouldn't it be 2014-1? Can I ask dealer for a free upgrade to this version?
Yours is later than mine (April 2013 build). Mine is 112113.2.121 Road Map North America Next 2013

You can ask the dealer for a free upgrade. Do not expect him to give it to you, but that might work.

The fact that BMW USA does not give free map updates as part of the free maint has been a sore point oft lamented on these forums.

Link to update site which will tell you the latest version available:
http://store.bmwgpsmaps.com/

Our BMW: '14 X3 35i, Deep Sea Blue, Black Nevada Leather, Fineline Wave Wood, Satin Aluminum Roof Rails, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Navigation System, Driver Assistance Pkg with ALL them cameras, Premium Sound
Our truck: '03 Ford F350, 7.3L turbo-diesel, 4WD, Lariat package, Lear topper, cow catcher, Blue over Grey (Go Rice!)

"Old Faithful's just a fountain compared to the glory of true love" -- John Prine
Old 10-12-2013, 08:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
Ya can get a "deal" on the latest navi on the other forum.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 x28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverman View Post
Yours is later than mine (April 2013 build). Mine is 112113.2.121 Road Map North America Next 2013

You can ask the dealer for a free upgrade. Do not expect him to give it to you, but that might work.

The fact that BMW USA does not give free map updates as part of the free maint has been a sore point oft lamented on these forums.

Link to update site which will tell you the latest version available:
http://store.bmwgpsmaps.com/
Thanks for the link and the info (although disappointing to know that a justified update is not a given!).
Anyway, when I selected 2014 X3 on store.bmwgpsmaps.com, got a message "Coming soon". Looks like the 2014 update is not available for the 2014 X3...yet.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 2.8i
I picked up my 2013 X3 in April. One of the things that REALLY bothers me is the absence of the street that I live on. While I didn't move in until May of 2011, the subdivision has been on the state maps since 2003 so one would expect to find his own home on the map. (The whole subdivision is missing from the BMW map.)

I'm going to press them for a free update when I go in for service.
Old 10-20-2013, 01:35 PM
Loving my car.

Send a message via Skype™ to lib
Mein Auto: 2007 530xi
My X3 has a 10/10/2013 production date and was delivered with 2013-2 maps. Gonna bug the dealership this week..

There are cheaper ways to update if you search the forum.. but I have no experience with doing any sort of update.

Old 10-21-2013, 04:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3
Disappointing Nav System

Got my X3 delivered in first week of July. The Nav system could not find my house! (Garmin Unit does). What's worse, it sent me off onto side roads that lead away from my home. Most recently I used the Nav system to find a government office in Boulder that has been there for many years. It sent me a half-mile away! It is useless IMHO. I called BMW to complain and they suggested I pay $250 for the latest maps.

I am filing a written complaint. IMHO they should refund the cost of the NAv system, not ask for more $$. Sounds like a class action suit to me.

Apparently they changed from Navtec maps to Tom Tom in 2014.

This system is a very expensive POS.

Old 10-21-2013, 04:58 PM

Mein Auto: 09 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACAT View Post
Got my X3 delivered in first week of July. The Nav system could not find my house! (Garmin Unit does). What's worse, it sent me off onto side roads that lead away from my home. Most recently I used the Nav system to find a government office in Boulder that has been there for many years. It sent me a half-mile away! It is useless IMHO. I called BMW to complain and they suggested I pay $250 for the latest maps.

I am filing a written complaint. IMHO they should refund the cost of the NAv system, not ask for more $$. Sounds like a class action suit to me.

Apparently they changed from Navtec maps to Tom Tom in 2014.

This system is a very expensive POS.

Any GPS is only as good as the vendor mapping database and they all suck, it is just a matter of your pain tolerance for them. So your Garmin had your street, how many other streets did the Garmin not have? Do you know? Before throwing stones, research the Garmin flaws. Honestly, if navigation was that important to you, did you test drive a model with nav and put in your home address?
Old 10-21-2013, 06:58 PM

Mein Auto: X3
ACAT, I've had the same experience in the San Francisco Bay Area. I've complained twice to the dealer who says it's operating according to specs. My old Garmin is far more accurate. I agree, BMW should provide a software fix, my goodness these are 2014 cars and should have the most comprehensive and accurate information.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:39 AM

Mein Auto: F25
Quote:
Originally Posted by FomerZ3NowX3 View Post
I picked up my 2013 X3 in April. One of the things that REALLY bothers me is the absence of the street that I live on. While I didn't move in until May of 2011, the subdivision has been on the state maps since 2003 so one would expect to find his own home on the map. (The whole subdivision is missing from the BMW map.)

I'm going to press them for a free update when I go in for service.
I mentioned my dissatisfaction with BMW nav as well in another thread. My home (about 5 years old) apparently still does not exist!

And the flaws are not limited to just the newer addresses....recently, I entered the address for UPenn Hospital in Philadelphia (an old and well known landmark). The BMW nav directed me to a location 9 blocks away, with nothing nearby remotely affiliated with UPenn!! Luckily, I am familiar with the area and had entered the address just to test the nav.

Unfortunately, you *have* to pay at least $2K+ extra as other useful features like enhanced USB and bluetooth audio streaming are bundled with the nav.

Last edited by x3x; 10-23-2013 at 08:46 AM.