BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Dublin?

707 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  dkreidel 
#1 ·
So I'm off to Dublin a few days. Despite having visited every country on the continent I've somehow managed to have never been to Ireland.

Any tips on sights to see or restaurants to hit?

I'm all ears.

#2 ·
I've spent lots of time there - are you going to remain in the City or have wheels to run around in? I've done two ED's to Eire, and worked there off and on for a few years on a large construction project.

#4 ·
Was just there for the first time in July this year. Spent a couple days before picking up a car and driving around.

Sometimes you just have to do the touristy things.

The Guinness tour is worth it. We got there early in the morning right before they opened and were able to get right in. By the time we left, it was crazy busy. Make sure you get your training on how to pour a pint and drink one at the gravity bar.

Trinity college was pretty cool. Got to see the book of Kells. I thought it was worth it, some may not. The library there is incredible. Plan to spend a little bit of time walking around.

St Patrick's Church was nice, but I liked Christ Church better. It was right across from my hotel. The crypts are cool, we didn't get hooked up with a tour, but wish we had.

Dublin Castle was pretty cool, we got there late and missed the last tour. Again, wish we had done a tour, there is a lot of history there.

We did a lot of walking around, some of the bridges across the river Liffey are pretty cool. The Temple Bar district gets pretty crazy, plan on spending an afternoon and evening just walking around there. Lots of stuff going on on the street, lot of bars. If your in to staying up late and partying, its pretty wild. The crowd is pretty young there.

Favorite bar was the Porterhouse. I like microbrews and it is just starting to take off in Ireland. They have a good selection, and the seafood stew is very good. O'Neils bar and pub is worth a stop for lunch or dinner, near St Andrews church on the corner across the street. Watch a little Irish Football. Pretty interesting to watch. We are generally pub people, but there is plenty of fine dinning also. Gallaghers Boxty house in the temple bar district is pretty good.

Grafton street is worth at least a quick look. Very cheek shopping, high end stuff. I walked a couple blocks and then headed back.

The Irish Whiskey museum was interesting, maybe worth a half hour stop. Didn't get to the Jameson factory.

The rest comes down to what you like. There are plenty of museums, art and other cultural things to do.

#5 ·
All good advice above if no car. If you want a real Irish experience, get on the tram/train and run out to the horse races; it's not far:D The Guiness brewery tour is worth the time and expense - Jameson not so much.

Try the Old Storehouse for a meal :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.