BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

I'm back from LA

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  germanblood 
#1 ·
I was pleasantly surprised by the car! It looks much better in person - very proportional. I like how the hood bulge is almost parallel to the sides, as opposed to a more wedge shape on other contemporary models.
Overall shape is pleasing and it looks very muscular. I was a bit disappointed that we couldn't enter the car and that the doors were closed. All of the pictures I took are very similar to what has been posted over the past months.
The one thing that stands out, in my opinion, is the camber of the wheels (both front and rear). In addition, both front and rear wheels extend a bit beyond the sides of the car, giving it a very nice shape. Bottom line, I like it very much and will order one!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I too saw the 135 at the L.A. Auto Show and I have to say I think the car looks disproportionate and fat, not muscular. In the pictures I had seen, the car looked good from some angles and awful from others. In person, the same holds true. The front looks good and when it's slightly angled and you're looking at it from the front and seeing a bit of the side, it looks good too, but from the side and back it looks too tall, too horizontally scrunched and compacted, and too fat. It really needs to go on a diet. In addition, the back also doesn't work, in my opinion. My wife said the car looked "cheap" in comparison to the 3-Series coupe which she called "beautiful." I think the public will agree.

Considering the inclusion of a moonroof, the small weight difference, the small price difference, and the car's looks compared with its larger brethren, I personally see no compelling reason whatsoever to buy this car. Granted, I haven't yet driven it, and perhaps that's where the reason will show itself, but on paper this car makes no sense.

#4 ·
I too saw the 135 at the L.A. Auto Show and I have to say I think the car looks disproportionate and fat, not muscular. In the pictures I had seen, the car looked good from some angles and awful from others. In person, the same holds true. The front looks good and when it's slightly angled and you're looking at it from the front and seeing a bit of the side, it looks good too, but from the side and back it looks too tall, too horizontally scrunched and compacted, and too fat. It really needs to go on a diet. In addition, the back also doesn't work, in my opinion. My wife said the car looked "cheap" in comparison to the 3-Series coupe which she called "beautiful." I think the public will agree.

Considering the inclusion of a moonroof, the small weight difference, the small price difference, and the car's looks compared with its larger brethren, I personally see no compelling reason whatsoever to buy this car. Granted, I haven't yet driven it, and perhaps that's where the reason will show itself, but on paper this car makes no sense.
You are conjecturing about the car based solely on your personal feelings and opinions. I would like to offer an opposing perspective. I am perhaps in the minority, as the E9x has been selling like hotcakes, but for me there is every reason to get the 1 and few appealing ones in favor of the 3 unless the 1 really flubs the Test Drive.

Here are some comparison images. To me, the 1er feels like the rightful successor to the E46 (isn't it built on the old E46 chassis??). The overall shape/lines of the car look (to me) to be practically identical - do you consider the E46 to be compacted?

As for the rear, the only thing I would change is that slightly silly black insert, and maybe splitting the exhaust, but I consider those minor (esp seeing as mine will most likely be black all over). The slight flaring at the sides gives the car more character, I think. But then again, I prefer my women to have curves, too (go eat a hamburger and get back to me, Olsens/Lohans/Hiltons of the world)

#5 ·
Hmm... the bum is a bit better looking than I thought it would be as I don't care for the new bums (last photo) they do look cool at night tho LOL.

If I were to get the 1 it would almost be as close to a stripper as I can get, only auto (I know the horror) and premium (gotta have my leather, well really I prefer fabric but they will probably come with fake leather and that's not OK) that's it, that's all I need :)

#6 ·
I liked it too, but I wasn't blown away by any original lines that I was hoping would be more prominant in person. I think the color ruined it for me, but then again, the lighting is so blown out and all over the place in there that it's hard to tell. I think in any other color, it will look much better in person. Still don't love the rear end, but I can't wait to drive one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.