BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Drivetrain Malfunction

9K views 30 replies 16 participants last post by  pony_trekker 
#1 ·
1st BMW, 1st post...

Anyone else get a Drivetrain Malfunction error?

I just purchased a 2012 328i... It had 35 miles on it, and I literally drove it home about 55 miles when I noticed several hard shifts. The following morning it gave me a "Drivetrain Malfunction" error and said "Drive moderately", "Maximum drivetrain output not available" and to have the system checked. Started to drive back to the dealer, but shortly thereafter, car wouldn't shift out of first gear.

So, with just under 100 miles on the car, and 12 hours in my possession, I watched her get loaded onto a flatbed and hauled away. :cry:

Got the call back from the dealer 1 day later. Bad transmission and they are waiting on a replacement.

Dealer has been absolutely great, roadside assistance was wonderful, loaner car is ok, but I'm pretty disappointed. Is this a common problem? I'm extremely nervous about reliability now...

#4 ·
I had the same thing during my euro delivery. I pulled over, turned off/on and started up again. I ended up driving another 400 miles of spirited driving without issue.

My car arrives on Aug 15 and the VDC will be looking at it. I hope it's a sensor or something!!!!!

#9 ·
In my case, the sensor for 5th gear failed, which caused abnormal up/down shifting. Upon examination of my trans, they found the fluid was over-filled and was a darker-than-normal color with a foul odor to it. Not sure if they found metal in the fluid as that was not reported on the repair description - but based on the conditions above - BMW decided to replace the transmission. My local dealer was working directly with the factory on the diagnosis - they ran multiple test plans and sent the data back to Munich.

2500 miles post-repair - the car is running flawlessly and I am glad I had it repaired.

#6 ·
Thanks for the responses... Glad to hear that it seems others have had the problem corrected.

Like I said, the dealership is doing a great job - they actually brought me a loaner on the flatbed when they picked up my car. They've since tinted the windows and paid my first payment on the new car as well.

Fingers crossed :)

#25 ·
Thanks for the responses... Glad to hear that it seems others have had the problem corrected.

Like I said, the dealership is doing a great job - they actually brought me a loaner on the flatbed when they picked up my car. They've since tinted the windows and paid my first payment on the new car as well.

Fingers crossed :)
Its really great that the dealer is doing everything for you but don't you think it would also be great if you told us the dealers name.
cheers
vern

#10 ·
I don't agree with this at all. Transmission failure is not something that should be attributed to "rough edges" and "needing further development". Bugs in the software and maybe a software problem with a transmission shift falls into this - not a mechanical failure. There are way to many years of development in transmissions to have a failure such as this be attributed to a first year of production. That's why the long face...

#11 ·
I agree; a transmission failure should not occur - although it may be a sensor or some other minor issue. Even if they need to replace your transmission everything will be fine.

Nevertheless, I'm sure you knew before buying the car BMW's reliability is average at best.

#14 ·
Well, so far I am very pleased with the outcome on the transmission issue. Transmission was expedited, however, I was told it would be done by 8/17 at the earliest. They have since paid my first payment and tinted the windows on the car. Today I got a call and the car was done a few days early! Car drives great, and absolutely no shifting problems.

They stated they replaced the whole transmission with a new one, and sent the old back for examination.

Crossing my fingers for no more problems and excited to finally have my car...

#15 ·
Well, so far I am very pleased with the outcome on the transmission issue. Transmission was expedited, however, I was told it would be done by 8/17 at the earliest. They have since paid my first payment and tinted the windows on the car. Today I got a call and the car was done a few days early! Car drives great, and absolutely no shifting problems.

They stated they replaced the whole transmission with a new one, and sent the old back for examination.

Crossing my fingers for no more problems and excited to finally have my car...
Glad to hear that :thumbup: Would like to see a pic with the new tints :bigpimp:

#18 · (Edited)
Got a chance to take some pics... These are the before tint pics:

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Personal luxury car Bmw 3 series (f30)

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Personal luxury car Alloy wheel

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Personal luxury car Hood

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Personal luxury car Trunk

And yesterday got the tint done, so these are the after tint pics:

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Personal luxury car Sedan

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Alloy wheel Luxury vehicle

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Personal luxury car Luxury vehicle

Attachments

#19 ·
what % is that looks pretty dark. Is it 20% or even lower?

#27 · (Edited)
Yeah what do you need such dark tints for? Transporting Lindsey Lohan back n forth from rehab?
My guess is he's under 35. When I was in my 20's I wanted the darkest tint I could get. I wanted the car all blacked out. I was delusional that the super dark tint made the car look cool and made me look very mysterious. I was going to get a lot of tail with my blacked out window tint car. Yeah baby yeah!

Then in my 30's I still wanted the windows tinted to reduce heat and glare on my favored black interiors but I didn't want my car to look like it was being driven by a wanna-be-member of a gang or Yakuza... so I went with a much lighter tint.

Now that I'm 40, I don't give a sh!t about window tint. Seeing at night is hard enough without black tinted windows focking things up. :confused:

#28 ·
My guess is he's under 35. When I was in my 20's I wanted the darkest tint I could get. I wanted the car all blacked out. I was delusional that the super dark tint made the car look cool and made me look very mysterious. I was going to get a lot of tail with my blacked out window tint car. Yeah baby yeah!

Then in my 30's I still wanted the windows tinted to reduce heat and glare on my favored black interiors but I didn't want my car to look like it was being driven by a wanna-be-member of a gang or Yakuza... so I went with a much lighter tint.

Now that I'm 40, I don't give a sh!t about window tint. Seeing at night is hard enough without black tinted windows focking things up. :confused:
You know I have to admit - I came to this forum and found it really informative when I had a problem (by the way - for those asking, it was Valencia BMW that took such great care of me). However, as I've continued to read and try to be a part of the forum, I've found that it is full of people being rude to others and putting others down just based on their opinion.

My in-laws are the ones that pointed me at the BMW's and my only concern was that I didn't want to be grouped in with the typical BMW owner. They asked what I meant, and I explained this forum to a T.

I'd like to know where you pick up such as skill as estimating someones age based upon their posts and tint preferences. Get your money back, your way off. For all those who NEED to know what I'm transporting - it's people, and I live in a place where it regularly gets 115 in the summer. PS - it looks great, 20 or 50 year old, it still looks great.

Thanks for the input. I don't think I'm going to be an active member of the forum anymore just based on the general feeling I get around here. Thanks to those that were supportive and helpful though.

#22 ·
K had the same thing happen, car was at the shop for over a month and I am going through a BMW trade assist. Push for a new car if you can, I am getting a 2013 with 2k more in features.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer App
Dealer took care of me and had the car back in about a week total. I'm fine with keeping the car, it's what I wanted, and it's not like it was someone at the dealer that caused the problem. Awesome deal for you though! Congrats!

#30 ·
2013 328xi Power Train malfunction at 500 miles

Hi - first bmw and first post here. The power train malfunction warning message came on at 500 miles and I brought it back to the dealership. They are still diagnosing.....I wish I read all threads under this forum before purchasing. Oh, the bmw dealership gives a Toyota sentra as loaner too....so much for sophistication.:mad:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.