BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Reviewing the Infiniti EX37 this week, what are your thoughts?

3K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  nightmareuki 
#1 ·
Hey fellow X3ers,

I m reviewing the 2013 infiniti ex37 this week and i m feeling rather confused. The size is similar to an x3 but inside, the rear is worse than an X1. It costs less than both the x3 and x1 (35i) but can't get my head around what a bad design the cabin interior offers. Its so tight I would classify the Mini Countryman as a competitor!

Who would buy a 3.7lt V6 325bhp crossover that in the real world fits 2+2 and costs 40k base?

I am all ears!!!

Cheers!

PS: In case some of you dont know, I am an automotive journalist :cry:

#3 ·
When I was shopping for a car a few years back, my first stop and first choice was Infiniti.

I found the G35 and G37 too small for my needs, which included carrying a bike, preferably inside. Plus there was no practical roof rack attachment available at that time. Still I liked the way they handled, liked the interior, liked the available MT.

Looked at the EX and FX. FX was too big. EX as you pointed out was too small on the inside, couldn't see the point of it. Plus no MT available for either.

BMW wasn't initially on my radar, but when I found that X3 offered MT plus had adequate interior room for hauling a bicycle, including an OEM accessory interior bike rack, that became my #1 choice.

Of course, now the X3 (F25) doesn't offer MT either. And I think they've also dropped the interior bike rack accessory. Glad I bought when I did.

#4 ·
Looked at the EX as well. Thought it was a great car for a driver and one pax but the rear was almost useless. OTOH it drove very well and handled at least as well as the X3, while riding much better over nasty roads. Might have gotten one had the dealer been inclined to deal more than 2% off sticker -- bought the X3 at a much better deal instead. As it turned out, given the horrid ride of the X3 over the EX on nasty pavement I regretted that decision. However now at least I can carry "stuff" and have room for the grand kids in back.:angel:

#5 ·
I had a 2012 ex35 and loved it. The price to feature ratio is fantastic. Someone tried to drive through my car while I was in it. I walked away and the car was written off. In its place I bought a 2013 x3 28i. I paid a lot more for less features but a different experience. I lost 60hp but gained in gas mileage. I lost a unique style but gained a lot of passenger and cargo space.

Honestly, they might be categorized the same but after having owned both I'd say the ex is more of an oversized hatchback and the x3 is a small SUV.

If you go with the ex I'll sell you the weathertech mats and tonneau cover left over from mine :)

#8 ·
Thanks for the replies guys,

Let me just point out that I am an automotive journalist and I am reviewing the EX37, not buying it :)

Love my X3 and not giving it away.

After banging my head to figure out what this EX competes against, it suddenly struck me. "Its powerful, exclusive, luxurious, handles like a GTi but offers no real space."

BOOM! Called BMW and asked them to borrow an X1 xDrive35i. It costs the EXACT SAME $39,000.00, is same fast, as luxurious, handles better but is less exclusive. Plus, someone can sit in the back.

So heads up, my Infiniti EX37 Review has become a head to head comparison to the X1.

Stay tuned.

#9 ·
I can see that. While walking in to see the x3, I passed an x1 and ended up test driving both. In a comparison between the ex and the x1, the infiniti won hands down for me. The finish of the x1 doesn't match the price tag. Little details like the hard cargo cover and the passenger cup holder just feel more along the price range of a VW, not a luxury car.

#13 ·
sj, as an automotive journalist I hope you will keep your personal BMW bias out of the article (unless it is for Roundel of course :D) and review them both objectively and fairly. I think you will find that the interior of the X1 has a long way to go to beat the EX in that respect. I have not yet driven the X1 but I did "kick the tires" of one in dealership and thought it was a bit of a tin can compared to the rest of the X line:tsk:. Not much sound deadening in the doors, and not a very solid "thunk" when you closed them. Frankly I found the Kia sportage to have a much more solid feel -- with the turbo that is not a slouch either.:angel:

#14 ·
sj, as an automotive journalist I hope you will keep your personal BMW bias out of the article (unless it is for Roundel of course :D) and review them both objectively and fairly. I think you will find that the interior of the X1 has a long way to go to beat the EX in that respect. I have not yet driven the X1 but I did "kick the tires" of one in dealership and thought it was a bit of a tin can compared to the rest of the X line:tsk:. Not much sound deadening in the doors, and not a very solid "thunk" when you closed them. Frankly I found the Kia sportage to have a much more solid feel -- with the turbo that is not a slouch either.:angel:
To be fair the X3 is horrible in this department as well. You can't get much worse, in fact, its the one thing I actually dislike about ours. I am trying to find a way to fix that, not sure if its possible.

#16 · (Edited)
I had the pleasure of having an X1 for 2 days a few weeks ago while my X3 was getting its oil changed. I found it to be a fairly useless vehicle; it was too low to be a "usable" SUV/SAV, yet too tall to be anything but an awkward-looking wagon. The center console and its tacky add-on passenger cupholder reminded me of something I'd find in the junk isle of an Autozone. The steering wheel had a hard, cheap feel and was exceptionally thin; to be quite honest, the hard-used steering wheel in my 180k mile '97 Jetta felt better in my hands, and more substantial. Thin steering wheels do not go hand-in-hand with sporty character. Fuel economy wasn't worth the loudness and roughness of the turbo 4, and start-stop technology would probably prevent me from ever buying a newer BMW. I know it can be turned off, but it was obnoxious to have to hit the button every time I started the car. Perhaps the biggest annoyance? Being its chassis is already several years old, it has that obnoxious second left-side steering column stalk to control the cruise control... you know, the one whose actions cannot be read while driving the car, that gets hit by your left knee when getting in and out, and that is constantly confused with the other stalk when using the blinkers or high-beams. If I was looking for something that sized... I'd buy a Tiguan hands down. VW got it right with that one. If I hadn't found my X3, I would have purchased a Tig. Or, I'd just purchase an AWD sportwagon, probably an A4 All-Road. At least those still have dipsticks...

#17 ·
duk, If VW had put their diesel in the Tig I would be driving one now! Why on earth they didn't do that just amazes me. The Tdi sportwagen sells out around here, yet the Tig languishes on the lot. Just finished a two day drive with a brand new Allroad! The wife's A4 was in for repair. Have to say that after my initial excitement with the car, it rapidly paled on me and I was glad to give it back. Just too stark in the interior for my taste, and not all that comfortable. Perhaps that was by design but it didn't work for me. I was not impressed with the performance either. It was "adequate" but not exciting. Now if it had the V6 diesel coming to the Q5 it would be been a different story.:yikes: The little 4 cyl turbo just didn't seem to have the right "stuff". I liked the 4 banger in the BMW 238 I drove for a couple of days last month much better -- although I was happy to give that one back too and get back in my X3 -- I did miss the great nav with the HUD though.:angel:

#20 · (Edited)
sj, very interesting review. Was not expecting a video but it brought out the stark difference between the interiors of the two cars. I had forgotten how luxo the EX was compared to the rather spartan BMW. Also the rear space (or lack thereof) was dramatic between the X1 and the EX with the latter being almost useless. The X3 of course having even more room put them both to shame back there. You stayed true to your craft's objectivity however, showing no BMW bias, and for that you are to be commended.:thumbup:

#22 ·
Nice review! Reminded me of why I was originally looking at Infiniti (impressive interior style and comfort) and why I turned away (impractical). I still think the X3 interior is stark in comparison, yet highly practical. I don't know whether that's for marketing reasons (make higher price BMW series more attractive as luxury alternatives) or the difference between a German and a Japanese aesthetic.

I do wish you had highlighted the difference in luggage capacity by stuffing the X1 with a stroller and some suitcases, and showing they won't fit in the EX. It was hard to see the comparison with just the open hatch with a black interior. Consider that as a suggestion for the next comparo review.

#23 ·
I do wish you had highlighted the difference in luggage capacity by stuffing the X1 with a stroller and some suitcases, and showing they won't fit in the EX. It was hard to see the comparison with just the open hatch with a black interior. Consider that as a suggestion for the next comparo review.
Thanks man,

I was going to do it, but I drove the Infiniti to where the BMW was, so there was no way I could have the stroller with me :rofl:

Good point there though :)

PS: The only reason I did not compare the EX37 to the X3 is the massive price difference between them. That is why the X1 made sense.

I ll be reviewing the 2013 Honda Accord Sport starting tomorrow so need to switch my mind to family sedan mode now :dunno:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.