BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Z4 Cup holders

31K views 45 replies 31 participants last post by  Jermy1304 
#1 ·
Am I too easily impressed, or are those retractable cup holders the coolest thing since sliced bread? I never would have thought of something like that.

#2 ·
#4 ·
#3 ·
I happen to like these cup holders a lot on long trips. Very versatile ...

#7 ·
Cupholders are essential for the American market. Say whatever romatic notion you want about "Oh, but these cars must be driven!!" but not everybody does 10/10 mountain road carving as their dailiy driving pattern (we can wish!).

The cupholders in the Z4 do have a bit of a "cool factor" but are a bit flimsy and not adequate for a "big gulp" type beverage. There are reports in here of the cupholders breaking but it hasn't happened to me (yet!). My biggest beef is that the cupholder is right in front of the side A/C vent which not only blocks airflow to the occupants, but heats/cools the beverage.

#9 ·
Hate the factory cupholders. :thumbdwn:

Ordered a pair of ultimate cupholders and have been very happy with them. :thumbup: Hold everything from my morning travel mug of coffee to a 32 oz fountain drink without so much as a bobble. The factory ones never held my travel mug anywhere near vertical (Always leaning hard) and with the RFT's on this thing, the cups would try to jump out at every little expansion joint in the road. Absolutely no movement in the ultimates. Haven't even extended the factory ones since the ultimates got delivered.

#13 ·
my ultimate cupholders just arrived in the mail today. looks to be a quality product. i ordered one for each side.

#15 ·
Cupholders

When I picked up my CPO Z4 the passengers cup holder was broken and replaced under warranty. While they may be ok, I don't use them because things just quite don't fit. Besides when I have something in the drivers side cup holder, I tend to hit it getting out or in. I purchased the factory cup holder that mounts to the console and have been very happy with it. It is removable and only has a small mount when it is out.

#16 ·
I'm one that enjoys the fact that they are there. I did bump mine once with I got in luckly the cover just popped off and I could re clip it back.
I'll just make sure there isn't anything in it when I get out or in :)
Oh mine don't rattle either :) or not as of yet.

#17 ·
Is it me or does anyone else find that the Z4 cp holders (OEM) don't fit a regular Starbucks paper cup ? Mine allows the cup to move around and potentially spill.

And for those purists, a cup holder is actually quite useful for the times you are not racing around! I typically don't drink coffee whilst driving but when I go somewhere long distance, it's nice to have a few comforts with you.

#18 ·
Is it me or does anyone else find that the Z4 cp holders (OEM) don't fit a regular Starbucks paper cup ? Mine allows the cup to move around and potentially spill.
The C-arm of the cupholder adjusts in clicks/steps as you push it in towards the wall of the cup and locks at each step. This way you can put a thin red bull style can or cup to a fatter coffee cup etc. Look at the pics I posted earlier in this thread.

#25 ·
I got my "ultimate" cup holder today and I'm not impressed. I can't figure out where exactly would it fit and how straight is supposed to be. Does anyone have a picture with theirs? I'd appreciate some help.

just so you dont think i'm a a complete idiot - I tried sliding it under the center console but the curvature of the holder is wrong and only a small lip fits under the console. Is the bottom of the holder supposed to sit on the floor?

#27 ·
I got my "ultimate" cup holder today and I'm not impressed. I can't figure out where exactly would it fit and how straight is supposed to be. Does anyone have a picture with theirs? I'd appreciate some help.

just so you dont think i'm a a complete idiot - I tried sliding it under the center console but the curvature of the holder is wrong and only a small lip fits under the console. Is the bottom of the holder supposed to sit on the floor?
Mine:

#46 ·

They actually are really good cupholders. I thought the same thing when i first got mine. My exact words were "That's it...? Installing it there is stupid". I quickly changed my mind. I remember having to change the bend on mine. Just put the whole metal extension up under the side of the center console material. The cupholder stays in there very nicely and does an excellent job holding cups of most sizes.

and yes, the bottom of the cupholder sits on the floor.

#29 ·
I agree with the OP - they are a pretty cool design. But...they suck ass. Sure, they'll hold a drink....for about 20 seconds...then you go over a bump and your drink is all over your leg.

I dont' really care all that much though...I didn't buy the car for the cupholder! lol

#33 ·
My passenger side cupholder has begun to rattle, off it goes ... two covers ordered from Tischer :thumbup:

#34 ·
The reality is that one needs a drink from time to time and it's good to be able to cool yourself down with a cold drink - especially here in Texas. I use my car as a daily driver and I need my coffee mug with me in the morning when I drive to the office.

Of course I wont have any of that when I'm driving my car like it should be driven but it's good to have a cup holder when stuck in traffic or cruising to work.

So - yeah - we need a decent cup holder. So far, I'm using the ultimate cup holder. Seems to be a good choice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.