BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Is Your Z4M Your Daily Driver?

13K views 69 replies 45 participants last post by  trjgatordoc 
#1 ·
It seems I've noticed a few people expressing reservations about using their Z4M's as daily drivers.

Do you use your Z4M as a daily driver, and if not, why not? Lack of room, ride quality, unwillingness to roll up the odometer, panic attacks when trying to parallel park, etc.?

#55 ·
If it meant that I would not have a z4m I would drive it daily...but other wise I don't even find my wifes e90 a good daily. I find trucks to be the best dailies...tall enough to avoid door dings, long enough suspension travel to speed through bumps/dips and 4x4 traction....the only bad thing is fuel consumption and parking:p

#57 ·
Not an M, but I use my 2007 3.0i Roadster as a DD, with snow tires/wheels during the winter months. Actually I was one of only 15 out of 120 people that made it in to work in a major storm last winter through unplowed roads. I was amazed, even as low as the car is, that it rode so well. I use a cover most of the time (even in the lot at work), so my car looks nearly as good as it did new (cleanest example I have ever seen). I keep the miles low because I ride a motorcycle too 3 days a week to work (weather permitting). Now that I am buying the car off lease I will likely get it through this last winter, then buy a used cooper or new fiesta as "beater".

#58 ·
2007 Z4MC w/20,700 miles

I use mine on nice warm days only. I live in NY, and with winter and rain I probably use it 50% of the time. Essentially, I use it whenever possible. It is garaged when not in use. I have 50 miles RT to work. After 2y and 10m, it has 20,700 miles on it. Inspection I coming up.

I love every minute in this car. It's the most fun most involving most satisfying car I've ever had. It's my daily dose of reliable sex...

---Michael

#60 ·
My Z4 is my daily driver for my commute to work and home. 4 years and almost 80,000 miles and smiles. Why not enjoy going to work? :)

#61 ·
I use my M as my DD and will probably put 1k miles per month on it. The only thing I use the 530i for is long trips out of town where I need to haul people and/or luggage that the M can't handle. I just got back from one of those trips of about 1k miles in the 530i. I never thought this car was slow until I drive only the M for about 2-3 weeks and then I get into the 5. I will say that there is nothing better for long, highway trips than the 5 series.

#66 ·
Before I sold it a few months ago, my Z4M was certainly the daily drive and that included 1,200km round trip every 3 weeks, a 2,000km round trip every 2 months, average 80km daily round trip other work days, plus whatever it was used for on weekends

A friend purchased an M3 six months ago and doesn't drive it anywhere just in case something happens to it or he puts too many kms/miles on the clock - why bother buying it?

At the end of the day, whatever you drive it is only a car, it's designed to be driven, and so it should be - scale models are for "collectors"!

#67 ·
My '07 M Roadster is my daily driver...in fact, I put about 20K on it in the first year driving 120 miles round trip from NY to CT a few days a week. In the last 2.5 years it's done about 7K/year and now does about 3K/year. Still my daily driver 4 days a week, but the commute's 10 miles roundtrip :)

I must say that it's a little bumpy on the NY and DC roads, but if you can live with a stiff suspension, it's a wonderful car. Responsive, agile, and quick - exactly what you need to get AROUND obstacles and out of harm's way. Isn't that what we want in a daily driver?

If I could do it all over again, I'd probably use my 5 series more, just to keep the miles off the M (which, god willing, will be a permanent member of my stable like the '72 tii!)

#68 ·
My '07 M Coupe is purely a weekend/twisty road car. I have driven the 27 miles each way to work a few times, but I am trying to keep the miles off of it and use it as my "special" car to be driven when I feel like really driving :bigpimp:

My DD is an E93 M3 which is a much more civilized ride than the M Coupe - especially after I put H&R coil-overs and a Supersprint exhaust on the M Coupe. I love the M Coupe and feel energized every time I drive it - but I don't see it as a practical every day driver - at least for me.

#69 ·
My '07 M Coupe is purely a weekend/twisty road car. I have driven the 27 miles each way to work a few times, but I am trying to keep the miles off of it and use it as my "special" car to be driven when I feel like really driving.
That's how I feel. I currently drive the M Roadster daily, but I'd rather not mainly because of the maintenance expenses and I hate leaving it parked in the hot Texas sun since I don't have a covered parking lot at work.

My DD is an E93 M3
OK, that's just not fair... :bawling:

#70 ·
Mine is definitely a daily driver, as I drive 50 miles each way on US 98 along the Gulf of Mexico. The trunk is actually fairly generous, and actually roomier than my original roadster ('79 MGB). I'll keep the top down as long as I can. There are few cars that rival it as a cruising car through Destin, FL!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.