BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Why isn't the Z4 more popular?

40K views 138 replies 61 participants last post by  ljkiter 
#1 · (Edited)
Why don't I see more Z4s on the road?

Like this one:

See less See more
#125 ·
Well, I am just getting on board the Z4 train. New, it is an expensive car compared to others in its segment. There is decent value in a Z4 used/off lease, but it is a small market that thinks about buying used upscale cars rathern than new mid-market cars. Value and status is something many people covet, but can't admit to coveting and few actually invest their dollars there. And many other people just don't understand the relative value. That makes used Z4s (and Boxters and others) a pretty good value. Many people driving Mazdas, Accords, Camry's and Civics that paid in the mid $20s for their cars are shocked when they find out that lightly used BMWs. Audis, Mercedes Infiniti's etc are available for the same money or less. And then they go right on and get more of their Joe Average cars. I'll stick with my lightly used gems.

#126 ·
I've been wanting a Z4 ever since I test drove one a couple years ago when I was looking to purchase an M3. To me, the Z4 35is was more fun to drive than the M3. However, the Z4 was not very practical for me and the cost to purchase new with everything that I would want had an MSRP for about $75k. So... I waited and started to look for a gently used one with everything I wanted. I finally found one Easter weekend and snagged it up. It is our weekend joy ride car. My wife and I love it!

#127 ·
I'm with you on that. Lightly used 3 year old CPO's are all around, and a bargain compared to buying a new 'appliance car'! :thumbup:

#128 ·
I'm a big fan of keeping your ears open and being ready to jump fast when a deal shows up - my last two Z4s have both been new and deeply discounted. My '09 was bought in April, 2010 - sticker $58k, paid $40k. It was a demo with under 100 miles and I lost 9 months of warranty because of punch date. Good enough deal that it was worth it....and my new one, a 2014 35i, just bought in February 2016. MSRP $68k, I paid $43k. 200 miles, Spec 8 punch so FULL WARRANTY! I really like brand new - and with some hunting, some luck, and reasonably fast decisionmaking I think it's doable to get one of these for a price within reach of the average Joe/Jane!

#133 ·
The E89 is selling poorly for three reasons. 1.The market for upscale roadsters is very small 2. Corvette dominates the market, selling more than all the Porsche sport cars and the z4s combined. Mercedes dominates the "cruiser" market in that bracket. Cayman does well in the Performance segment.
In between is the very versatile E89 which came out in the crash of 2009. Many 09s were left sitting for a year or more and it didn't start to recover until 2011. That was hard enough to overcome but the auto press could not review them without comparing them to the Cayman/Boxsters. The E89 has a very robust top mechanism taking the edge off the track-ability which the reviewers could not appreciate. Last week I cruised top down blissfully in the mountains and at times aggressively. If a Cayman or Corvette could do it a little faster, I could not car less. If I really wanted to go faster in safety I would be on a track and then not with an expensive Porsche or BMW.
Just the opinion of a very longtime driver.

#134 ·
I had a 2006 Z4 for many years and just upgraded to a new model (2015). The Z is a unique car, offering a look and feel that hasn't really been replicated. My 06 Z was a great little car; fast, fun, sporty. My new Z is a real step up, but retains the same sporty, fun feel of the older models.

I really don't see the comparison to a Porsche or Jaguar. These are true sports cars, meant to go really fast or to be really fancy (i.e. a Jaguar), and your paying a real premium for that. The Corvette, some say it's a good car, personally I would never own one. The brand carries the burden of being a car for the "middle age life crisis guy", not wanting to go there.

Other options, like the Nissan Z (fast and fun, but no frills) or Audi (R8 or TT, closest match I can think of, also fast and fun). Of the two, the Audi is a nice alternative and I did consider it, but for me it came down to my history with the Z.

So, my Z is not common (which I see as a positive), fun to drive, cool to look at and a joy own. It's a premium priced car, but not bad as compared to expense of a Porsche or a Jaguar or even an Audi for that matter.

Just my two cents.

#136 ·
When I bought my first Z4 I also drove a 'vette - I felt like it was a boat compared to my Z4. Plus the gas mileage showed as 11 mpg!

I was actually going to revisit the 'vette with this purchase but m y deal came down too fast. I've never found anything to equal the Z4 in look or feel.

#138 ·
There are expensive to "buy", and rarely anyone with a family will lease a Z4 unless they are a granny or grandpa whose kids are already adults or you have no kids. However, since many of the older peeps lease these cars they will start flying wild into the hands of enthusiasts and tuners cause they will be affordable and got a shnit load of potential of being a super fast car. My Z4 is making over 500whp with tons of torque and it is FUN

Im planing on getting a second one with DCT to have two. They are very easier to fix if your into turning a wrench or willing to explore to learn how to do things on your own.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.