BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Does Z4 get a bad rap on Handling?

23K views 52 replies 23 participants last post by  Et Hop 
#1 ·
I have a 2004 330Ci, M package w 6 speed manual (225 hp, 215 torque, 3,700 lbs). Car is slow off the line but once it hits its power band it moves and with 49/51 weight ratio it is well balanced. Corners great - off ramps at 80mph in dry conditions are fun not scary. Always regreted not having a bit more power.

Looking at the new Z4 28i or 35i. Like the increase in preformance but have seen review on line that trash the cars handling (esp when going against the Boxer S). Is this a bad rap or are the reviewers on to something?

Would appreciate some feed back on what I can expect in handling vs my current car and thoughts on the 28i vs 35i

Thanks!

#48 · (Edited)
This thread began in 2013. Comments are all over the place depending on individual experience. I have driven a lot of sports cars over the years including Ferrari, Porsche. I have some track time and drivers schools. I have driven my Z aggressively. It handles very well and it sticks very very well. I have not tracked it because it is too nice to track. (dammit) I am sick of hearing it compared to a any Porsche. Exploring the traction limits of any of these cars takes a lot of practice and seat time. You cant hope to do it on public roads. All these cars are also crazy fast. The Z4 is an amazing combination of roadster and coupe. It has 50/50 weight distribution. It is a glorious top down drivers car. Today it was 55 degrees and sunny. The heat/AC has an automatic feature for when the top is down. The heated wheel coordinates with the heated seat settings. There is a now standard wind deflector. I had to turn the climate control down. . I rarely drive this car with the top up except on trips on the the interstate. It is that addictive.
If the handling/balance/steering is not up to expectations for sporty driving, keep the setting in one mode and learn it well. When I am being foolish I use Sport+ because once its on, its tight and predictable. The other settings can be responding to externals without you even knowing and it can be counter productive when driving hard and even make the car seem unpredictable. Also beware of summer tires. If you are in the mountains and you climb into colder temps the summer tires can become loose at about 45 degrees or less. When I first drove this car I had to get accustomed to the rearward seating position. The long hood feels odd at first when cornering hard. Are there better track cars? Of course. Track cars should be cheap and easily maintained and have a roll cage.

#53 · (Edited)
Hello. I currently own a Z4 35is since end of 2011. 67mkm now. I only changed the tires for non RF as soon i received it ! And i drive it with winter tires for about 6 to 8 monthes a year (i can explain...).

As i also own a E61 M5 for family displacing, and a single seater for my tracking itching, you will easily understand that i had no need to improve the handling of my Z4. I was satisfied, yes, but also i was not dupe : the steering is tilting, the front and rear bumpers work as if they do not know each other, the soft position of the adaptative susp leads to diving at each braking phasis, and the hardest position does not avoid tilt and lackness of lateral guiding. And is not apppropriate for french nor english country (but yes pleasant) roads...
And, last but not least, the brake pedal feeling is way soooooooooft and unconsistent (even if it brakes, yes).
But all of us know that, i guess.

So... What finaly hapened ?
Well, week after week, year after year, my expectation raised and i definitely could not bear my Z4 lacks.
Finally i decided 1 month ago to replace the springs and the adaptative dumpers for a carefull, cost friendly, comprehensive fix : i got a B12 pro-kit (eibach spring and bilstein B8), plus the Eibach Pro-Tronik module to neutralize the adaptative adjustable suspension (which is not useful with the B8).

And this is now a pure revelation ! i can't still believe it : amazingly more comfortable at midle and high sppeds (not at very low speed but who cares), so much more predictable at the limits, no more tilting phenomenon, the steering is sharp and easy (better feedback and no more adverse reaction on bad roads), and the DCT is less requested on greasy/wet. DCT off, it is easier to drift and keep it sliding, and the grip recovery is soft and predictable also. Braking distances are shorten.

I-CANNOT-BELIEVE-IT.

Yeas I am used to racing and to much more powerfull and lighter cars, but i am also able to distinguish between racing purpose and road needs : i was not searching for a track behavior for my Z4 : i only expected something sharp, predictable, efficient and daily manageable.

All the good aftermarket kits are surely of interest : Ohlins, KW, E/B... Inside all these famous solutions, my choice was finally based on a pricey consideration : if i have made a bad choice, it had to be painless to flow the kit in the garbage !

Now we are in november, already 2mkm with this B12 kit, and i mounted the winter tires (michelin PA4 in 18" 225 and 255) since one month.
It is (if possible) more amazing : corner handling and traction with these winter tires are improved to an unexpected level.

If i had to summerize my feeling with the B12 kit replacing the electronic dampers of my Z4 35is, i would talk about the steering feeling : sharp and easy, without any side effect.
(i can give advices or details by mail if wanted)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.