BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Bavarian Technic Diagnostic Tool

31K views 77 replies 14 participants last post by  Ron Stygar 
#1 ·
#3 ·
I have this tool. It is OK for the S54 Z4M, but not great as it does not support commands, config, or coding for the our DME/S54 combo . It is easy to use and seems like good code. I purchased for use with my 03 530i.

#4 ·
Bruce - Do you mind bringing the tool over this weekend to Pocono? Would like to play with it a bit if you don't mind. I have been using the generic OBD2 features on my VAG-COM for the Z4MC so far.

#6 ·
Sure I can do that - they license the software per VIN, so you will need to look at my car's info.

#10 ·
Look forward to checking out the tool Bruce.

Ross Tech (www.ross-tech.com) has a simply amazing tool for VWs and Audis (VAG-COM) that can interact with all the control units (Radio, Instruments, Central Convenience, Airbags, Engine, Brakes, AWD etc), allow customizations (yesterday I configured my wife's 2007 GTI to raise and lower the windows and sunroof with the remote), reading codes, clearing codes, monitoring real time data (MAF, O2 Sensor, timing, misfires on each cyl etc). They were working on a version for BMWs a few years ago but seem to have put that project on hold :(

I use the VAG-COM in OBD2 mode on the Z4MC for engine codes, clearing codes and monitoring engine data and its works well.

#13 ·
Ron -

When I bought the kit they were on version 1.5 and I was able to get values from the S54 - not all, 40% maybe. When I upgraded to the latest version 1.7 - I can't get anything. I really have to retract my original post as this new version of code has major issues. Won't read codes and makes cpu spike to 100% for extended periods of time.

I will be curious to see what they come back with for you.

Bruce

#15 ·
Bavarian Technic Update

Ron -

When I bought the kit they were on version 1.5 and I was able to get values from the S54 - not all, 40% maybe. When I upgraded to the latest version 1.7 - I can't get anything. I really have to retract my original post as this new version of code has major issues. Won't read codes and makes cpu spike to 100% for extended periods of time.

I will be curious to see what they come back with for you.

Bruce
I have upgraded to 1.7.0.5 and the tool now works great for my E39 530i - it is still virtually unusable for the Z4 ///M Coupe...

#14 · (Edited)
If you are currently considering Bavarian Technic, you may want hold off a bit until they get some things straightened out.

I'll second the statement that there are definitely 'issues' related to their most recent release, v1.7.0.5. This update leaves quite a bit to be desired. At best I would call the product not quite ready for market... At least not for a US Spec E36 M3.

My 'enthusiast' set (w/round 20-pin connector) was delivered 8/7, and here are some of the issues I've run into:

- will not read/detect my VIN
- numerous application 'Unhandled Exceptions'
- better than half for the module queries I attempted came back with Communication Error/Failed to Initialize
- All errors referred to 'E46' even though I manually entered a VIN and it was correctly decoded as an S52 E36 Sal CD93
- 2 'Shadow' DTCs were returned as unknown and a link to report them to B/T for look-up; I did and have not gotten a response.
- a number of the 'Actual Value' readings did not show any reading at all; Though I did find out my inlet coolant temp is -46C. I should prolly look into that...
- One trouble code was identified: Catalyst Sensor Bank 1. Okay, great. Would that be sensor 1 or sensor 2?

Anyway, after reaching a level of mild frustration, I called the 800 number for tech supp and explained the issues. The rep. was polite and responsive, but didn't have much to offer other than, "there are some cars we can't read the VINs on", "Yes, there seem to be issues with build 1.7.0.5", "Turn on application logging and upload a session with errors, etc. and the 'engineers' will diagnose the problem", and "the engineers will not be back in until Monday, sorry".

Well, no word from anyone today, so I'll follow-up tomorrow.

I didn't expect I'd be beta testing for BavTech after spending $350 for their product. They really need to take a closer at look their QA process and put in some additional development time, because right now, it just ain't gittin' it.

#18 ·
I'm wonderinging if it's worth going for this or just taking my Z4 in to get the air bag light reset ($ for tester or $ to have a dealer hook it up). Since I had a terminal on the module corrode/arc apart I replaced it. All my systems are back to normal but since I disconnected the control module to replace it the dash light is now on.

Anyone know what they usually charge to do a computer diagnostic test/reset visit? I have a local garage that works on imports and might check with them over going out to the BMW dealer.

Thanks,
Andy

#20 ·
The air bag control module under the center rear console. Mine was a 65-77-6-935-919 which was superseded by 65-77-6-965-146 and superseded by 65-77-6-962-766 which is what I ordered. But I was sent a 65-77-6-965-146. I think they are all the same anyways. The listed price on the original one was under $300 but is not available since it's been re-number.

#33 ·
Yes. Borrowed from Alan.

I own the Peake Research tool which is the best way to read/reset faults when taking the car apart.

I own the Auto Enginuity with enhancement. It reads/resets faults along with data.
The enhancement never worked.

I got an email from Jay from Auto Enginuity saying it works now.
He said that they also went through all of the BMWs.
It's very confusing to me. Based on the new data may be worth to learn.

http://www.autoenginuity.com/ScreenCaptureSamples/BMWZ4MCoupe07/BMWZ4MCoupe07ABSActuationList.htm

04/15/2009 7.2 Release:
-------------------------
BMW / MINI
• Added enhanced 3 Series (E90/E91/E92/E93) '06 - '07 full model support (Requires ProLine Connector)
• Added enhanced 5 Series (E60/E61) '04 - '07 full model support (Requires ProLine Connector)
• Added enhanced 6 Series (E63/E64) '04 - '07 full model support (Requires ProLine Connector)
• Added enhanced 7 Series (E65/E66) '02 - '07 full model support (Requires ProLine Connector)
• Added enhanced Z4 M Series (E85/E66) '06 - '07 MS70 S54 engine support
• Added Conditional Based Service (CBS) for E6X and E9X models
• Finalized VIN decoding for models to include determining the engine series
• Fixed 330Xi and 330Xd tables being swapped

#34 · (Edited)
Well I just dropped my car off to have a local shop try to reset my air bag light. I stopped to check on it and was told they couldn't reset it since a there were problems. Codes 93F1- Driver bag coded out instead of passenger bag, Code 93E7 undervoltage and code 93AC system time fault.
Do you guys know if a newly installed Airbag control unit needs to be coded back at the dealer? That's what they thought. At least it was only $60 but I like to find the cause.

Ron I checked out the Auto Enginuity site and that's a nice set up :) Did that run about $480?

#39 ·
Your pioneering efforts are very valuable to other owners. I want the AE product and would pay for it but only if it functions properly. It obviously still needs work and until such a time when you find it worthy of your endorsement, my checkbook will remain safely tucked away. Please keep the pressure on the company and your B-fest buddies informed.

#41 · (Edited)
Got the battery back in

Battery is in with the connectors in place with lube.
Torque for both terminals are 5Nm.

I used my Sears 25>250inlb torque wrench.

The two rivets that go into the battery holder base are too tight.
End up breaking both getting them out or in.
One uses 51 47 1 911 992 $0.42r. The other uses the same base with a plastic screw.
I drilled out the two holes with a 1/4 inch drilll. Now both go in and out using the 992.

#43 ·
Bavarian Technic Reset Tool

Hello Guys.

I have a 1996 328is and a 2003 325. Both have the air bag on due to simple mistakes.
The 328is (1996) was caused by the wiring harness to the seat being disconnected while the baterry was connected. Next the 325 (2003) was caused by soda that spilled down the passenger seat onto the seat belt lock.

Is Bavarian Technics a good tool at diagnosing SRS problems and is it really worth the money? Am I better off getting a Peake reader or a Carsoft scanner.

Thanks All Mikey

Riverside, CA

#44 ·
Hello Guys.

I have a 1996 328is and a 2003 325. Both have the air bag on due to simple mistakes.
The 328is (1996) was caused by the wiring harness to the seat being disconnected while the baterry was connected. Next the 325 (2003) was caused by soda that spilled down the passenger seat onto the seat belt lock.

Is Bavarian Technics a good tool at diagnosing SRS problems and is it really worth the money? Am I better off getting a Peake reader or a Carsoft scanner.

Thanks All Mikey

Riverside, CA
I wouldn't recommend it. It didn't work with my '97ti and '06 Z4M.
It used to before they changed the software.
You would have to try it to see if it works now.

It works very well on the E9? 335's.

#45 ·
Bavarian Technic Reset Diagnosis...

Oh okay. I was looking at Auto Enginuity, but they are only OBD II Compliant. Although my 1996 is OBD II compliant, it still has the 20 pin round connector and requires most diagnosis/resets via that interface.

When did it work and what version of the software did it stop working?

According to thier site, they have undergone multiple changes....Many within the past year

Feb 16 2010 Release 1.7.4.7
November 8th 2009 Release 1.7.3.0
September 20th, 2009 Release 1.7.2.0
September 15th, 2009 Release 1.7.1.0
July 31st, 2009 Release 1.7.0.5
July 4th, 2009 Release 1.7.0.0
June 14th, 2009 Release 1.6.8.0
June 3rd, 2009 Release 1.6.6.0
May 12th, 2009 Release 1.6.5.0
May 6th, 2009 Release 1.6.4.0
May 3rd, 2009 Release 1.6.3.3
April 24th, 2009 Release 1.6.3.0
April 23rd, 2009 Release 1.6.2.0
April 21st, 2009 Release 1.5.12.0

****** And Many More!!!*****

Sounds like they still dont got this nailed correctly...

Maybe I should Try CARSOFT...

#46 ·
Oh okay. I was looking at Auto Enginuity, but they are only OBD II Compliant. Although my 1996 is OBD II compliant, it still has the 20 pin round connector and requires most diagnosis/resets via that interface.

When did it work and what version of the software did it stop working?

According to thier site, they have undergone multiple changes....Many within the past year

Feb 16 2010 Release 1.7.4.7
November 8th 2009 Release 1.7.3.0
September 20th, 2009 Release 1.7.2.0
September 15th, 2009 Release 1.7.1.0
July 31st, 2009 Release 1.7.0.5
July 4th, 2009 Release 1.7.0.0
June 14th, 2009 Release 1.6.8.0
June 3rd, 2009 Release 1.6.6.0
May 12th, 2009 Release 1.6.5.0
May 6th, 2009 Release 1.6.4.0
May 3rd, 2009 Release 1.6.3.3
April 24th, 2009 Release 1.6.3.0
April 23rd, 2009 Release 1.6.2.0
April 21st, 2009 Release 1.5.12.0

****** And Many More!!!*****

Sounds like they still dont got this nailed correctly...

Maybe I should Try CARSOFT...
You have to read the whole thread.

Autoenginuity comes with the 20 pin cable too.

I went through many versions and it went worse and back etc..
I gave up with them.
When Alan stops by with his BT, I'll try it again.

I have the Peake Tool, ScangaugeII and the Autoenginuity enhanced.
I use them all. Took awhile though on the Autoenginuity. Around $775.

#49 ·
Got my BT enthusiast kit. Works great on my e39. Seems like they may not have alot of $ to exercise all the demons out of the code as some codes read are "unknown" to the program but the code is reported so i can look it up. No other experience with tools like this so not sure if CarSoft has similar issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.