BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Recall letter

12K views 51 replies 19 participants last post by  tsoc88 
#1 ·
Has anyone with a 09 or newer Z4 35i received a letter from BMW about the recall and the replacement of their HPFP?

#5 ·
Anyone tried to figure out how much money BMW has "lost" on this HPFP issue? Considering all the pumps they have already replaced, some more than once and now recalling thousands of vehicles this is going to turn out to be a very costly engineering debacle. I'm glad I sold all my BMWAG stock.

#6 ·
As the HPFP event hopefully nears closure, lets say they end up replaceing 200K pumps @ $300/unit (their cost & labor reimbursment - way conservative) = $60 million. Now BMW competed in F1 for 3 years easily spending $60 million for that same period. They're big boys they can handle their financial position. I hope you sold your BMW stock recently since it is currently near all time high.

#7 ·
HPFP Recall

Although I have not had any problem with my '09 35i Z4, with 10K miles I have spoken to other who have. If something goes wrong shall I assume that the dealer with "fix-it" even if the recall notice has not been received?:dunno:

#8 ·
I dropped my car off at the dealer today to troubleshoot the issue I have with the long engine crank after the car has been sitting overnight. This issue started about 1k miles ago. Most likely this is the HPFP, so I decided not to wait around for BMW to get around to sending me their letter.

The dealer really rolled out the red carpet with the loaner vehicle - a 128i, auto, with no options.

#11 ·
Audi has some seriously nice vehicles and I may well try one in a couple years. The RS4 is an awesome machine and if my ship ever comes in an R8 would be in my garage.

#18 · (Edited)
Interesting that these are not new cars reporting failure but ones whose pump had already been replaced. Could it be a combination of factors compounded with the pump?

"So as Donald Sutherland once said in Kelly's Heros "...no negative vibes man"." Great movie btw
It certainly is a weird situation. Some cars that needed a new pump with only a few thousand miles and then requiring 2-3 more vs. getting a new pump and no more issues vs. cars that have had no issues (I have 18k on my 2008 135 and no long cranks).

#19 ·
BMW Letter on HPFP

Received this, via email, from BMW today. I had written them asking what was the procedure on the recall:

Thank you for contacting BMW of North America, LLC regarding our voluntary recall announcement of some model year 2007-2010 BMW vehicles equipped with twin-turbo inline six cylinder engines. In the affected vehicles, a failure of the high pressure fuel pump may exhibit symptoms such as long crank engine starting times along with the illumination of the "Service Engine Soon" light. In certain cases, the driver may experience reduced engine performance in a Safe Mode. An audible tone and an "Engine Malfunction" display warning will accompany any reduced engine performance.

Affected BMW models include:
• Model Year 2007-2010 335i, 335xi, 335i xDrive (all body types)
• Model Year 2008-2010 135i (all body types)
• Model Year 2008-2010 535i, 535xi, 535i xDrive (sedan & wagon)
• Model Year 2008-2010 X6 xDrive35i Sports Activity Coupes
• Model Year 2009-2010 Z4 Roadster sDrive35i

Owners of affected vehicles will receive notification in December requesting the scheduling of a service appointment with an authorized BMW Center to inspect their vehicle. Drivers who now experience long cranking at start and/or reduced engine performance with illuminated warnings should immediately schedule a service appointment with an authorized BMW Center.

BMW remains committed to maintaining the highest level of automotive excellence. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience should your vehicle be affected.

The BMW Customer Relations and Services Department is available Monday through Friday from 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M., Eastern Standard Time. You can reach us at 1-800-831-1117.

Sincerely,

#22 ·
Received this, via email, from BMW today. I had written them asking what was the procedure on the recall:

Thank you for contacting BMW of North America, LLC regarding our voluntary recall announcement of some model year 2007-2010 BMW vehicles equipped with twin-turbo inline six cylinder engines. In the affected vehicles, a failure of the high pressure fuel pump may exhibit symptoms such as long crank engine starting times along with the illumination of the ***8220;Service Engine Soon***8221; light. In certain cases, the driver may experience reduced engine performance in a Safe Mode. An audible tone and an ***8220;Engine Malfunction***8221; display warning will accompany any reduced engine performance.

Affected BMW models include:
***8226; Model Year 2007-2010 335i, 335xi, 335i xDrive (all body types)
***8226; Model Year 2008-2010 135i (all body types)
***8226; Model Year 2008-2010 535i, 535xi, 535i xDrive (sedan & wagon)
***8226; Model Year 2008-2010 X6 xDrive35i Sports Activity Coupes
***8226; Model Year 2009-2010 Z4 Roadster sDrive35i

Owners of affected vehicles will receive notification in December requesting the scheduling of a service appointment with an authorized BMW Center to inspect their vehicle. Drivers who now experience long cranking at start and/or reduced engine performance with illuminated warnings should immediately schedule a service appointment with an authorized BMW Center.

BMW remains committed to maintaining the highest level of automotive excellence. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience should your vehicle be affected.

The BMW Customer Relations and Services Department is available Monday through Friday from 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M., Eastern Standard Time. You can reach us at 1-800-831-1117.

Sincerely,
Blah, blah, blah, I'll bet they still don't have a real fix.

#24 ·
Recall

And to further add to the confusion:

Called my dealer to have a slight problem fixed with my Z and asked about the recall. Service department said "Oh, people are already receiving their recall notifications and arranging appointments. If you didn't get a letter, your's is not recalled"

I thought this was odd and called BMA NA - they told me no letters had gone out, but
they will be out by mid December.

Dealer is Herb Chambers BMW, Sudbury, MA -

#25 ·
And to further add to the confusion:

Called my dealer to have a slight problem fixed with my Z and asked about the recall. Service department said "Oh, people are already receiving their recall notifications and arranging appointments. If you didn't get a letter, your's is not recalled"

I thought this was odd and called BMA NA - they told me no letters had gone out, but
they will be out by mid December.

Dealer is Herb Chambers BMW, Sudbury, MA -
Sounds Like the folks at Herb Chambers need to get their heads out of their asses.

#26 ·
No Recall Letter, Yet

Here we are, Dec 26th, no recall received by me. Sent BMW a note on the 22nd asking where the recall notification might be. No response to date.
I think some of you may be correct - they do not have a solution.

#28 ·
Well we've been hearing rumors about a Z2 for over 4 years. Don't hold your breath.

#30 ·
Recall Call

Received a phone call from BMWUSA yesterday. Headlines of the phone call:

They are doing the recall in waves
They will be replacing the HPFP (at least in my case) - though I've had none of the
reported problems. Was told they have a reengineered pump.

#36 ·
Received my recall letter yesterday for my 2010 Z4.

Letter says "Based on the individual service history, your authorized BMW center will inspect and replace (if required) the high-pressure fuel pump (including the low-pressure fuel sensor) and/or will reprogram your vehicle engine control unit. Additionally, to minimize any inconvenience and assure your satisfaction, other fuel system components may be inspected and replaced, if required. the complete repair may take approximately one day."

Wonder what the basis is for "if required"

#37 ·
Thanks. Stopped by the dealer yesterday (to look at the new X3 - nice ). SA confirms that reflash of ECU is necessary part of doing a pump transplant. So will wait until either pump fails (yes can still drive it - had the problem in wife's 535i) or lease is about to expire.

BTW, in asking about status of recall for the 535i (no letter yet), SA said there's a new recall just a week old to update the ECU on N54s that had the HPFP earlier replaced on failure. So even if your pump is replaced and good, you will probably still have recall action to upgrade the ECU software.

#38 ·
the letter's here

the official recall letter just arrived on Friday. But my dealer already replaced the HPFP in my 2009 twin turbo Z4 after 1) reprogramming in September after a rough start and it wouldn't restart, 2) Check engine light came on in early November with two error codes showing up in the diagnostic but no specific fixes and 3) rough start in early December resulted in engine malfunction and safe mode kicking in. Fortunately, none of the issues happened when I was on the espressway, but I now have a new fuel pump and noticably smoother accelleration and idle. My car was about 17 months old when the HPFP was replaces, with about 8000 miles on it.

#39 ·
the official recall letter just arrived on Friday. But my dealer already replaced the HPFP in my 2009 twin turbo Z4 after 1) reprogramming in September after a rough start and it wouldn't restart, 2) Check engine light came on in early November with two error codes showing up in the diagnostic but no specific fixes and 3) rough start in early December resulted in engine malfunction and safe mode kicking in. Fortunately, none of the issues happened when I was on the espressway, but I now have a new fuel pump and noticably smoother accelleration and idle. My car was about 17 months old when the HPFP was replaces, with about 8000 miles on it.
Recommend you still check with dealer on latest ECU reflash added to the recall campaign just last week...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.