BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

trying to pick up '13 Z4 - questions

5K views 40 replies 19 participants last post by  DNK 
#1 ·
Hello wonderful folks!

In the market for a convertible and Z4 caught my eyes. Really love the styling. Could you please tell me:

1. difference between 35i vs 35is? Is 35is worth extra money?
2. what is the discount off MSRP I could expect for a 2013 model? I see one at local dealer going for 70K MSRP and dealer is marking it down to $67.5K at this time. The sales gave me another $500 off. how much more could I get?
3. What other things should I be aware of?
4. If you want to receommend any dealer/good sales, please feel free.. I don't mind buying from out of state (I live in Seattle) and have it shipped.

Thank you for any help you could provide!:)

J.

#2 ·
35i has 300 hp and 300 lb. ft. I think the 35is has 330/330. I would offer 65K. Dealerships vary of course and so do negotiating skills. I'm not very good at it. Others will be able to tell you more about the differences. I'm sure many can be found out by the "Build Your Own" section on BMW site. Good luck.

#3 ·
Just my opinion, but hard to rationalize the almost $10000 bump in price between the 35i and the 35is. As mentioned more torque and hp, something you may never use. Just ordered a 28i with sports pack and cold weather and couldn't jump to the 35i even though finances would let me.

#7 · (Edited)
Guess it takes some people a while. You're comparing the list prices of the base model 35i and 35is. BUT, many features are supplied standard on the 35is which are available only at extra cost on the 35i. The M Sport package is a good example. Standard (included in base price) on 35is, add $2,500 to the base price to get the same package on 35i. And so on. Add 'em all up and you end up with two very similar vehicles with a list price difference of $5,300. The vehicles are identical with the exception of:

1) slightly different body panel features
2) brakes are somewhat beefier on the 35is
3) exhaust is modified on 35is for tuned tone
4) ECU tuning map in 35is provides 10% additional HP and a bit more torque (exact same engine hardware)

#10 ·
Do yourself a favor and test drive both if you can. Depending on what kind of driving you do, you may find the 35is "harsher" than the 35i. Also, consider wheel sizes. I went with 18" on my 35i simply for comfort -- but many say that if you change the RFT for non-RFT, it doesn't matter as much. If you lease, you may not want to go through the expense of changing to non-RFT.

#16 ·
I agree - test drive both and decided which better suits your needs. BMW Tucson ask for the General Manager -Greg Polsen and tell him Bill F. referred him. A closer alternative is Long Beach BMW in CA. Again ask for Eric - Service Manager and he will direct you to the right person - mention my name. Good Luck!

#17 ·
Thank you, Gentlemen!

I do not know about ultimate driving experience! Good tip!

Also powerwise....do you feel 28i is that much weaker than 35i/35is?

I'm looking to buy this car for my dad..he also wanted a convertible. Power is not the main concern for him but I don't want 28i to feel that much slower since it's I4...:rofl::)

#39 ·
I think the best way to look at it is HP to weight ratio. In the 28i you are looking at 1 HP for every 13.77 lbs. vs. the 35i where you have 1 HP for every 11.76 lbs. Obviously, the 35i is going to be faster, but the kind of torque you are getting out the 28i is more than enough to get lots of fun out of it.

#18 ·
There is nothing wrong with this car in the 28i configuration. Remember they use the same engine to power much bigger cars such as the X3 and the 5 series.

It's still plenty of power plus should return some great fuel economy numbers.

I bought an "is" but I remember thinking more than once while I bombed down the Italian motorways that this will be the last time I ever get to use the power of this car in such a manner.

#19 ·
There is nothing wrong with this car in the 28i configuration. Remember they use the same engine to power much bigger cars such as the X3 and the 5 series.

It's still plenty of power plus should return some great fuel economy numbers.

I bought an "is" but I remember thinking more than once while I bombed down the Italian motorways that this will be the last time I ever get to use the power of this car in such a manner.
Thank you! That's very comforting...:) Now I just need to find a 13 White/Red/no woodtrim! :p

#20 ·
You should search through the "Ask a Dealer" forum for more advice on buying a new Z4. $3K off MSRP sounds like a bad deal to me, but who knows? As for the price difference, if you want things like the M sports package and the other adds that are standard on the IS, the jump isn't that bad. If you don't care about those, the price difference is way too much. However, there may be o0ther things included so read the fine print. In 2006 when I bought my first Z4, I bought the 3.0si because in addition to the slight power boost, it came standard with premium audio and great looking wheels (see signature picture) among other things.

I would recommend a potential third option - you can buy certified pre-owned Z4's with minimal mileage if you broaden your search. Many people treat the 2 seater as a garage queen and turn them in at lease end with very low miles. Rather than buy new, I got a loaded 3 year old 35I Z4 with less than 10K miles on it. Searched all over the country and found exactly what I wanted in Florida with a reputable BMW dealer. Had a friend check it out, bought it and had it shipped. I have bought 2 Z4's new (one for my son) and 2 CPO and both CPO's drove like new and have been a great deal. I may never buy another brand new Z4 again.

FYI - That turbocharged 4 banger is actually a pretty sweet engine which provides great power for efficient gas economy. It is more powerful than the original 2.5 Z4 and (I think) just as powerful as the 3.0i of the mid-2000's.

#21 · (Edited)
Thank you, Z4Luvr! Ok, here's what a dealer offered me...5% off MSRP for '14 28i with Cold Weather + Technology package. Do you think Sports Package is a must (love the aerodynamic kit...etc.)? I mean as far as transmission goes, is the only difference being that the sports package offers that extra paddle on steering wheel?

Kind of don't want to fancy it up too much because it will end up costing almost like a 35i...

$53,075 - MSRP
-$2,654 - 5% discount
$50,421 - Selling Price
$4,941.26 - Sales tax
$369 - Estimated DMV Fees
$150 - Documentary fee
$55,881.26 - Total out the door

What do you think?

#22 ·
No. Sport package also provides for sport seats, which are seriously more comfortable than regular seats. Do a sit comparo to see for yourself. Totally worth it.:thumbup:

#36 ·
No. Sport package also provides for sport seats, which are seriously more comfortable than regular seats.
+1 on the sport seats. Absolutely worth it.

Don't see much point in getting an 35is over an 35i unless you plan to race. But if you are racing why get a convertible???

#26 ·
FROM EDMUNDS.COM concerning the 2011 BMW Z4

Standard equipment on the sDrive30i includes 17-inch wheels, adjustable sport driving settings (steering, throttle and automatic transmission if applicable), automatic adaptive xenon headlights, automatic wipers, a fully powered retractable hardtop, cruise control, leatherette premium vinyl upholstery, six-way manually adjustable seats and a sound system that includes a single-CD player, auxiliary audio jack and HD radio. The sDrive35i gets you a more powerful engine, sun-reflective leather upholstery, automatic climate control and brushed aluminum interior trim.

The sDrive35is gets an even more powerful engine, a standard dual-clutch automated manual transmission, sportier steering and the M Sport package that is optional on the other Z4 trims. This package includes 18-inch wheels, adaptive suspension dampers, an aerodynamic body kit, increased top speed, a thicker M steering wheel and 10-way manually adjustable sport seats with power bolster adjustment.

A regular Sport package available on the 30i and 35i includes only the suspension, seats, increased top speed and 18-inch wheels (the 30i sticks with the 17s). The Cold Weather package adds to all models heated seats, a heated steering wheel, retractable headlight washers and a trunk pass-through. The Premium package adds auto-dimming mirrors, power-adjustable seats, BMW Assist telematics, Bluetooth and on the 30i, leather upholstery and automatic climate control. The Premium Sound package adds a 14-speaker sound system with two subwoofers, satellite radio and an iPod/USB adapter. Many of the above package items are available as stand-alone options, along with Comfort Access keyless entry (push-button start is standard), automatic transmission shift paddles, front and rear parking sensors, automatic high beams, a navigation system (includes the iDrive electronics interface) and a six-CD/DVD changer. The 35i and 35is can be equipped with 19-inch wheels.

#32 ·
FROM EDMUNDS.COM concerning the 2011 BMW Z4

A regular Sport package available on the 30i and 35i includes only the suspension, seats, increased top speed and 18-inch wheels, (the 30i sticks with the 17s).
This is incorrect, Sport package (ZSP) adds 18" wheels to the 30i :thumbup:

#33 ·
Thank you, Fripp!

Ok..so which one would you choose (both certified pre-owned) and how much would you offer the dealers?

2011 30i $43K (MSRP - $53.5K) - 15K miles / premium package

2011 35i $50K (MSRP $58K) - 7K miles / premium package + cold weather package

THANK YOU, EVERYONE!
All other things being equal, there is no choice here. You go with the 35i. The power and dual clutch transmission alone are easily worth $7K more. By the 2011 models the high pressure fuel pump issues were pretty much resolved. Plus you will probably appreciate the CWP in a northern climate. I would probably offer around 90% of the asking price and negotiate from there. I would definitely mention to the 35i dealer that my alternative is $7K less.

One key question to consider - what tire size are they and are both still equipped with the OEM tires? That's the one expensive thing that the BMW warranty doesn't cover. The 30i is probably going to need new tires very soon if they have not already been replaced.

Not sure about your dad, but for me the premium sound and comfort access were must haves as well. When I did my search I also wanted NAV , which is rarely installed on Z4's. I regularly drive both my 35i and my son's 30i and my car is 1000X more fun. :p

Good luck.

#28 ·
Only YOU can answer that question...

It all comes down to what you want in your next car, cost and how you'll use the car.
My situation...and yours may vary (ha ha)
I was coming out of an '08 335 after 2 High pressure fuel pumps and turbos gone at 79k miles I wanted to go back to the tried and true 3.0 I had in my previous 330ci.
I would love the have the power of the 35 versus the 30 but for my daily commute and some spirited weekend jaunts the 3.0 is more than adequate for me.
I did take the Z4 on the track two week ago and would have loved to have had more HP and torque.
I would HIGHLY recommend you drive both and see what your butt tells you...which one feels like the car you have to have?

Good luck!

By the way, I wouldn't worry about the carfax...they are CPO and I'm willing to bet they're clean or the local dealer wouldn't have "Certified" them.

J.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.