BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Need help with key pl look at he pictures

926 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  NoBull 
#1 ·
I just took some pictures of my key and I am wondering is this key has a rechargeable battery meaning no need to replace at any point of time, or there is any chance battery can die and one would need to replace those if thats the case how can one open this key to have the access to the battery and it would be really helful if soomeone can tell where I can find the battery.
The car I have is 2001 530i
Thanks a lot guys

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
That key changes thru the ignition...you seem to be missing the roundel though...take a nice long ride to charge it...I think some people use an electric toothbruch charger stand to recharge theirs...you'll most likely need to reprogram too.

#3 ·
I have the roundel in my car just havent found the time to put it back on, and the charging thing I use this key everyday and it takes me 45 mins to get to work, I think thats long enough to recharge the key, and reprogramming I have tried that lot of times just doesn't seem to work

#4 ·
The key I used daily for over 3 years died a couple of weeks ago. So I started asking the same questions. If ound out that the key does have a rechargeable battery. It's a Panasonic VL2020-1HF vanadium pentoxide lithium 3V rechargeable battery.

I found this DIY and this DIY on an e46 forum.

BTW, I did manage to get the key apart, but it's pretty ugly. I plan to replace the battery and fill the gap. At least it should be functional.

#5 ·
just for laughs..check the central locking fuse...if it's blown change it and un-hook the fuel door actuator...then try to program the key again....

#6 ·
OK I have tried the fuel door actuator thing, my fuse is not blown, actuator is fine and I dont think I need a reprogramming because once in a blue moon it just works all of a sudden, like yesterday I hit the unlock button and beep..beep.. unlocks the driver side door but then I hit the button again it wont do anyting, then wont lock the car wont pop the trunk, like died all of a suuden again, I think I can put money on dead battery too. Lets see if anybody else had the same problem too, thanks a lot guys..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.