BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Got the error code today, Need Help

999 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  pankaj3536 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

So I got the code for SES light ON, on my 01 530i, the code was p0128 and the text said, coolant temp lower than thermostat actauting temp ( not the exact words), but as I could understand from the text that, the coolant wasnt getting at the temp high enough to get the thermostat to open, or something like that, any coments guys, does that mean it time for cooling system overhaul or I can just get the thermostat changed or is it something else.

Thanks a lot guys

#2 ·
P0128 Coolant Thermostat (Coolant Temperature Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature)

Sounds like the thermostat is bad, but it could be a bad temperature sensor. Or it might be something else in the cooling system.

IIRC, the thermostat is electrically heated which is controlled by the ECU.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to check those components.

#3 ·
I have the exact same code, but my t-stat appears to be operating normally. The needle moves from cold to the 12 o'clock position just as it always does, so I am going to assume it is a problem with the sensor for the computer. I don't have a bently manual, but am pretty handy, so can someone point me to the location of the sensor and a brief overview of the job and if there are any "tricks" to getting it done.

Thanks
Scott
2001 330i

#4 ·
Coolant temp sensor. Passenger side of radiator near the top. It faces the engine. Be prepared to lose some coolant when you remove it. I think you can access it by just removing the fan shroud.

EDIT: On the 6cyls it's below the expansion tank and is fairly simple to get to. Here is a thread on the main page explaining the part in question.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268268

#5 ·
Changed the Coolant temp sender

I just changed the coolant temp sensor just 2 days ago but that didnt seem to help, have an appointment at the dealership to get it checked thoroughly lets see what do they have to say, just wondering do I have to disconnect my battery for the computer to reset or it does that by itself. And also for the members from Vancouver, BC does anyone of you can recommend a place where I can get my windshield replaced.

Thanks Guys

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.