BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Ashtray for E90 would be its crowning glory

4K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  kosinar 
#1 ·
OK so my '11 335d is perfect in every other respect but it lacks an ashtray. And what's the point of a long Sunday drive in the country without a cigar, right? Does anyone know what would be involved in retrofitting an ashtray?

#2 · (Edited)
The replacement of the bin with the ashtray is fairly straightforward, involving removing the shift knob and popping the center console up (simpler than it sounds). A hundred or so in parts for the tray and cover.

The cost gets stupid when you try to match the skin on the ashtray cover to the trim skin on your center console. A new set is >>$100, because you can't get just the ashtray lid skin alone. Best bet is to go looking for the parts on eBay.

Once you have the parts in hand, perhaps 30 - 60 minutes on the morning of the nice Sunday drive.

EDIT: Had one too many zeros in the skin cost.

#3 · (Edited)
Your real identity has been flagged in Utah, classed among those tobacco dissidents who actively seek to pollute our air.

You should remember that it is not your air, it is our air. Shared by many government employees and those licensed by government, we are the majority and upon ID, will treat you accordingly.

Some years of conditioning are required to create the new man you shall be, free of tobacco's tyrannical bond, happier, more cooperative, and in much better health. Trust us - we know better than you, an addict.

#6 ·
Your real identity has been flagged in Utah, classed among those tobacco dissidents who actively seek to pollute our air.

You should remember that it is not your air, it is our air. Shared by many government employees and those licensed by government, we are the majority and upon ID, will treat you accordingly.

Some years of conditioning are required to created the new man you shall be, free of tobacco's tyrannical bond, happier, more cooperative, and in much better health. Trust us - we know better than you, an addict.
I'm sure his cigar smoke is not going to be noticed mixed with the California smog.

#4 ·
ASHTRAY 51167132380 $89.90 $0.00 $17.98 $71.92

Console - Center console - Trim panel - W/o i-drive control
Walnut 2006 - 2007

51167129547 $475.51 $0.00 $95.10 $380.41

Yes, BMW doesn't sell the walnut ashtray lid separately -- probably because the grain won't match. Your car probably doesn't have the console wiring harness, so you'd need to tap into one of the other power outlet circuits.

Including shipping and a couple bags of wire taps, less than $500, using new parts. I'd figure on a Saturday morning to do the job. (If you smoke Cuban Habanos, it might be worth the investment!)

It's probably much cheaper to either buy these parts on fleabay or from a recycler, though. The "lazy man's" solution would be to just to buy an ashtray that fits into a cupholder.

#5 ·
Cheaper to use an empty soda can, fill to about 1/3 with water, and put it in the drink holder.

#8 ·
I like the idea of a half full soda can of water jammed with dead cigars! I don't smoke, but seems that it would be easy enough to collect discarded butts and fill-up. For the glory! :str8pimpi

#12 ·
It still comes as part of the "smoker's package". BMWNA just doesn't let you order it any longer.

#14 · (Edited)
I ordered "Smoker package" for my 2012 335is without any problem. I seldom smoke my cigars in the car but simply despise that ugly pit they replaced ashtray with. There are various ashtrays that fit into cup holder. The last thing you want is to leave cigaret or cigar but in the car. It should be discarded as soon as possible. And do not smoke in the car if it is not moving and with window opened at least little bit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.