BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Climb to the Clouds 5, June 29 in the White Mountains of NH

135K views 1K replies 48 participants last post by  Bemo 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)

Official Website of Bimmerfester's Climb to the Clouds http://www.climbtotheclouds.org/index.htm

On June 29 Bimmerfesters driving any BMW model will meet for our fifth annual tour of the White Mountains! The 'high point' of the day will be an ascent of Mt. Washington (it's the "Climb to the Clouds"). It's possibly the most intense drive opportunity east of Pike's Peak. Braving a seven mile long, steeply twisting road without guardrails, with spectacular views in occasionally very challenging weather will be an adventure you'll not soon forget.

Along the way we'll cross a covered bridge, possibly dodge a moose or two, tour the Kancamagus Highway (a US Scenic Byway), and experience Bear Notch Road -the condensed Dragon's Tail of NH.

We are looking into a BBQ lunch at the MWAR base lodge this year, and adding to the tour for CtoC vets who might want to get a look at a waterfall or The Flume Gorge. Details to follow later as we check things out.

We'll wrap it up with old and new friends meeting for a banquet at a country inn. This year we'll revisit the Woodstock Inn Station and Brewery which has undergone major expansion and renovation with an all new banquet room downstairs.

As we have in years past, following dinner we'll have an auction to raise a donation for charity. We have supported Susan G Komen for the Cure, and Voluntary Services Overseas. This year we have selected Survive the Drive to support. I'll leave it to Captainaudio to describe the wonderful work they do to educate youngsters in the critical skills of road safety. Bimmerfest members have been very generous in the past, both in donations for the auction, and the bidding on the items up for auction. Suffice to say, the auction is a fun and fitting end to the day.

If you'd like to get some sense of what this is all about, here's a link to last year's thread for CtoC4. Take a look at the photos and read the comments. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=607948&highlight=

Here are the URL's for the sights we'll see, and a Google Map of the tour and meeting points.

This Google Map was used in previous tours and will be modified for some new scenery this year. All the highlights will remain, but there'll be some new roads of interest to the veterans.
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msi...1.430358,2.763062&iwloc=00046ab6b4cc4f3bf3dc1

The Omni Mount Washington Resort:
http://www.omnihotels.com/FindAHotel/BrettonWoodsMountWashington.aspx
"As grand as the history behind it, the Omni Mount Washington Hotel, located in Bretton Woods, New Hampshire, is gracious in ambiance and generous in amenities. A favorite New England retreat of presidents, poets and celebrities, the hotel delights every sense with enchanting music, refined dining and luxurious décor."

The Mount Washington Auto Road:
http://mtwashingtonautoroad.com/
"The timeless and dramatic beauty of the Presidential Range and the Northeast's highest peak is yours to enjoy with a comfortable SnowCoach ride up to treeline on the Mt. Washington Auto Road. Our custom made SnowCoaches are the only vehicles that can take your whole family to this remarkable place-a place that will leave you with breathtaking memories (and pictures) that will be enjoyed for a lifetime. The SnowCoach on Mt. Washington is truly a one of a kind experience!"

The Mt. Washington summit observatory
http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/

The Kancamagus Highway:
http://www.kancamagushighway.com/
"The Kancamagus Highway is a 34.5 mile scenic drive along NH's Rt. 112 in Northern New Hampshire that is well known as one of the best Fall Foliage viewing areas in the country. The Kancamagus Highway is now designated an American Scenic Byway for its rich history, aesthetic beauty and culture."

We have a block of rooms reserved at a discounted rate at the Omni Mount Washington Report (Hotel Mount Washington)
Please contact the hotel and mention Bimmerfest Climb to the Clouds for the special discounted rates.

This year's entry fee of $30 per car, and all proceeds of the auction will go to Survive the Drive.
Although it is not a requirement all participants are encouraged to contribute items to the auction.
As usual souvenir "Swag Bags" with event postcards, window stickers, refrigerator magnets and other event memorabilia will be distributed to all participants along with official Climb to the Clouds name tags.

URL for the auction will be posted soon.

SurvivetheDrive®
Your Best Behind The Wheel: A Teen Driver Safety Program
http://www.survivethedrive.org
Survive the Drive is an organization that promotes safe driving by teenagers and educates them on the consequences of unsafe driving practices. Survive the Drive was founded by Bob Green, Bob is an experienced racer, a Senior Skip Barber Racing School Instructor and drives the BMW M3 Pace Car at Lime Rock Park. Well known racers Sam Posey, Bob Sharp are on the board of directors of Survive the Drive as was the late John Fitch until his death last year.
This is a very worthy cause and is especially applicable to our event as it is automobile related and as many of the Climb to the Clouds participants are parents of young drivers.
SurvivetheDrive® is an independent, not-for-profit, educational organization educating drivers of all ages, particularly vulnerable and inexperienced teenage drivers, about the often hideous and everlasting results of inattentive driving.

The primary goal is to reach every newly or soon-to-be licensed teen (or adult) through the use of a multi-media presentation by Bob Green. He focuses the students on the detrimental activity of texting, reading, drinking, phoning and any other activities that remove conscious understanding of the ever-present operational hazards of heavy, moving equipment. Bob calls this type of driving 'Driving While Oblivious' (DWO) and results in driver error in 93% of all crashes. Past and present novice driver training and DMV driver testing results have been shown to have little deterrent effect on these crash rates.

SurvivetheDrive presentations can be scheduled as a single assembly or as an accompanying presentation that will focus on each student's competence and the desire to be their "Best Behind the Wheel."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=8Yd66ucjA8I

Don't miss out this year! It's unforgettable family rated fun with many options to custom tailor your weekend, or make it part of a vacation in the mountains.

Interested? Questions? Want to hang out with other Bimmerfesters who'll be Climbing to the Clouds? Then click on over to the Bimmerfest Social Group set up by Captainaudio. See you there!
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/group.php?do=discuss&group=&discussionid=71

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
first post!

MT WASHINGTON HOTEL UPDATES HERE

3/7 Update: Main hotel is full for Sat night, we are working on getting more rooms. Some of the issue is people only booking one night (e.g., Saturday), so there are rooms on Fri night, but not Saturday night. Please book Bretton www.brettonwoods.com using the code and Lodge. I recommend calling the reservation desk ( 1-888-444-6664) as opposed to the website. As of today there is availability in both Bretton and Lodge. If you would like to stay at the main hotel you can always book Fri night at the main (still has availability) and sat night at the Bretton and Lodge. Please let us know if you book outside of the group block. We want to make sure that bimmerfest gets credit for every guest we bring in :)

Hey all. CaptainAudio and I worked with Mt Washington to get us some great rates.

• Mount Washington Hotel Main: Double Occupancy (kids free): $229/night
  • Bretton Arms Hotel: Double Occupancy (kids free) $229/night. Includes Breakfast
  • Lodge Hotel: Double Occupancy (kids free) $139/night
  • Waived hotel amenity fee
  • Bimmerfest Climb To the Clouds code -> 062613BIMMERFES
Those who join the rewards program:
Complimentary 3 mg Internet Access
Complimentary Morning Beverage Delivery
Complimentary Pressing (2 items)
Complimentary Bottled Water (night of arrival)
Eco-Friendly Housekeeping Options
Complimentary Shoe Shine
Exclusive Member-Only Offers
Express Check-In And Check-Out
Complimentary Newspaper Of Your Choice Daily
Customized Room Preferences
Evening Housekeeping Service, Including
Turndown
You can opt to stay one or two nights. You can also opt to stay longer.

If you book there please let CaptainAudio know so we can track and know when to add rooms to the block. Reserve the rooms fast as there are limited spots at these rates!

We highly recommend you stay here, though you can stay anywhere. As one of our stops this makes it easy for folks to quickly change/wash up before dinner. Friday night we tend to hang out getting some food together, relaxing on the veranda, and drinking scotch in their oppulant lobby! Saturday night, after the long day, we hang out late night drinking and chatting.

#153 ·
#3 ·
second

#8 ·
Unfortunately, it doesn't look like we'll be able to be there. A competing family event has come up on the same weekend. :(

#9 ·
I think you posted this message on the wrong forum. What you meant to post on your family forum

"Unfortunately, it doesn't look we'll be able to be there. A competing BMW family event has come up on the same weekend. :("

Copy, paste, you're welcome.:p

#11 ·
Ha! In the spirit of driving "any BMW model," we just might come with the GT. I remember being asked to bring some picnic gear, we can probably accommodate another 25 festers in the cabin and of course effectively clutter the Mt. Washington road, during the climb.:D

Let the teasing begin!

#12 ·
Cut and pasted from MWOBS, the official website of the Mount Washington Observatory (pay no attention to the "vehicular accidents" bit, the last person to go over the side was a well lubed Harley rider whose last words were reportedly "Watch this!" :
Surviving Mount Washington

Few people traveling to the summit of Mount Washington expect to face a life threatening situation. Yet not everyone who ventures up this mountain has returned safely, or even alive. The purpose of this section of the Observatory's web site is to consider the reasons for some of the tragedies which have occurred on Mount Washington, in the hope that site visitors will learn from them and will develop a greater understanding of what a trip up Mount Washington might entail. Perhaps, by knowing about the unfortunate experiences of those few whose visits to Mount Washington ended in disaster, future visitors might be better prepared to face the potential hazards of this ever unpredictable mountain.
Among the reasons for fatal accidents on Mount Washington are:

• HYPOTHERMIA
  • DROWNING
  • FALLING ICE
  • AVALANCHES
  • FALLS
  • NATURAL CAUSES
  • VEHICULAR ACCIDENTS
  • CAUSES UNKNOWN
At 6,288 feet, Mount Washington claims the title of the Northeast's highest peak. While its height may not be especially impressive by global standards, Mount Washington rates as anything but an ordinary mountain. For one, its climate is similar to that of Northern Labrador, hundreds of miles further north. Three major storm tracks converge over the mountain, forming harsh and turbulent weather conditions. Above treeline, alpine conditions prevail and only the hardiest plants and animals survive. The combination of the extreme wind, fog, wet and cold have dubbed Mount Washington "Home of World's Worst Weather".
Many seriously underestimate the conditions atop Mount Washington. Within a day's drive of nearly 70 million people, this mountain is highly accessible and frequently visited. Visitors often arrive unprepared for the stark, blustery weather they encounter above treeline. Here, temperatures typically remain 20 to 30 degrees F colder than in the neighboring valleys, while visibility can be limited to 100 feet and winds fierce. Hikers who anticipate valley-like weather conditions at the summit are unpleasantly surprised when they find themselves severely underdressed and exposed to the elements. Even those visiting the summit in summer via automobile and cog railway may find themselves chilled as they step out into much cooler and potentially winter-like conditions.
The vast majority of the quarter million people who visit the summit each year experience no problems whatsoever. Yet each year several "close calls" accentuate the dangers of the mountain. More than 135 fatalities have occurred on and around Mount Washington since 1849, many of them involving ill-prepared hikers, skiers and climbers. There is no room for poor judgement and carelessness in this unforgiving mountain environment.
To gain an understanding of the harsh conditions atop the mountain, observe the following statistics.

• The average year-round temperature is below freezing, at 27.2° F.
  • Winds average 35 miles per hour on an annual basis.
  • Fog frequently limits visibility to 100 feet or less.
  • The average annual precipitation is almost 102 inches, including about 26 feet of snow!
  • The world's highest recorded surface wind speed, 231 miles per hour, occurred here.

#13 ·
Furby - For the block booking, I will want Friday and Saturday night at the main hotel. That's a great rate. Late arrival on Friday. I am happy to help with the Flume Gorge trip - people just follow the blue Subaru Forester! We'll call it the "Plunge to the Pool", sorry P2P1 (needs work, makes it sound like a bathroom trip) to make it special!

I will also have an unused BMW OEM sunglasses holder in grey (that doesn't match anthracite headliner) and a much-sought-after "Grumpy Old Men" abstract montage for the auction.

#14 ·
Furby - For the block booking, I will want Friday and Saturday night at the main hotel. That's a great rate. Late arrival on Friday. I am happy to help with the Flume Gorge trip - people just follow the blue Subaru Forester! We'll call it the "Plunge to the Pool", sorry P2P1 (needs work, makes it sound like a bathroom trip) to make it special!

I will also have an unused BMW OEM sunglasses holder in grey (that doesn't match anthracite headliner) and a much-sought-after "Grumpy Old Men" abstract montage for the auction.
Sweet. I got an e-mail a few minutes ago, from the hotel, saying guests can call in and reserve rooms. So call up and make sure to get a room.

@EVERYONE - If you are running into issues then send me a PM. If the block is sold out then I will work on increasing it.

#19 ·
I'm hoping to come! It sounds like a fun experience and would be my first in the e92 since I got it. It would also be fun meeting all the people who regularly make me chuckle in my cubicle at work throughout the day.

#26 ·
I'm hoping to come! It sounds like a fun experience and would be my first in the e92 since I got it. It would also be fun meeting all the people who regularly make me chuckle in my cubicle at work throughout the day.
Can you tell me where that forum is on Bimmerfest?

#27 ·
Can't wait !
Guess I need to poke our friends in Munich @ BMW for a trunk full of giveaways :)
Also if there are folks considering picking up Kat at Logan in a convoy we could make it a mini-meet in Boston...

#34 ·
C2C5 Bimmerfest Social Group

If you are interested in joining the Climb to the Clouds Social group send me a PM and I will send you an invitation.

The link to the group is here.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/group.php?groupid=118

If you were a member of the c2c5 group you are already a member.
Since we are going to be using this to communicate with the attendees you may want to subscribe to the group. The subscribe option is in the Group Tools pull down.

CA

#38 ·
We'll be sure to stop at Curtis' in Putney and pick up some BBQ Sauce.

#40 ·
Do you know how to barbeque Moose?

CA

#49 ·
Seeing those photos in the base lot got me thinking: I wonder how many times this year we''l hear, "They're BMWs, I guess they can park wherever they want!" :rofl:

I'm (officially) in!

#50 · (Edited)
You know there will be a Honda Fit getting in our way somewhere. I swear, each year there is a Honda Fit getting in my way. Purposefully driving slow.

I just need to get an //M X5 with a plow in the front (mad-max style) and push those Hondas out of our way.

EDIT: BTW we are officially on the headlines for Bimmerfest home page. Go to the other subforums and spread our news!

#52 · (Edited)
As we go along I'll post confirmed sign-ups. Each revision will be posted as the thread progresses. This particular post will not be revised.

Here's the list so far;

Bemo
Lqaddict
Captainaudio
Bimmerfest Muckety Muck (Possible)
DSX
Furby
Zeichen
///M-rated
AnotherGeezer
Nordic Kat and TopKat
Angler and Vanna
Bimmerdiesel
tmcgrew
jmh

#53 ·
As we go along I'll post confirmed sign-ups. Each revision will be posted as the thread progresses. This particular post will not be revised.

Here's the list so far;

Bemo
Lqaddict
Captainaudio
DSX
Furby
Zeichen
///M-rated
AnotherGeezer
Nordic Kat and TopKat
Angler and Vanna
Bimmerdiesel
tmcgrew
jmh
We already filled up our block of rooms at the main hotel.
I spoke to them and they are adding five more but I would recommend that you confirm your booking ASAP.

CA

#54 ·
If it fills up then let CaptainAudio or me know. We will work to get more space, but as always there is no guarantee once they fill up.

#62 ·
Here's the list so far;

Bemo
Lqaddict
Captainaudio
Bob Green (yes, that Bob Green)
DSX
Furby
Zeichen
///M-rated
AnotherGeezer
Nordic Kat and TopKat
Angler and Vanna
Bimmerdiesel
tmcgrew
jmh
Thunder Dump
Kamdog
Just made reservations this morning for Friday ~7pm arrival!

#58 ·
I was still able to book a room online for the main hotel at the special rate using the group code on the first page of this thread. So woohoo!! Only staying there Saturday night like years past. We'll be slumming it Friday in Tilton to be closer to the filth in the morning.

#59 ·
I was still able to book a room online for the main hotel at the special rate using the group code on the first page of this thread. So woohoo!! Only staying there Saturday night like years past. We'll be slumming it Friday in Tilton to be closer to the filth in the morning.
There's a poster of you in the lobby of the Tilt'n Diner. You're banned from the "All you can eat" breakfast buffet. They asked me to remind you that it's "All you can eat" not "You can eat all".

#61 ·
More rooms at the main hotel were added to our block of rooms but they are going fast.

CA

#64 ·
We made our reservations, see you all there.

Furb, any chance you will have your car back by then?

Kam.
Crossing fingers. I will reserve my room anyhow, and hope to make it. Wouldn't mind stretching her legs out after a long, cramped, boat ride.

So my last ride was called Bob (against my desires). I need a new name for the 335. I figure she (it will be a she this time) is the offspring of Bob. Suggestions?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.