BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Got my 750i! REVEAL PIX and a few basic questions, please help!...

5K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  kath00 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I received my preordered 2013 750i yesterday (Graphite II with Saddle interior and Matte dash). :beerchug: I absolutely LOVE it. But boy is it a complicated machine! LOL. It's taken me 2 full days to learn the basics (having come from a Lexus LS460 that is 3 years old).

I have a few questions if that is ok.

1) When I turn the engine off using the on/off button, the radio and dashboard lights stay on. So I have to push it again to turn it off completely?? Is there a way to just adjust it so the button turns off everything the first time?

2) I also have to open the car door by pulling on the lever twice. Can I just pull on it once and have it open? All this extra effort seems crazy to me.

2) When I wear my sunglasses while driving, I can hardly see the pop up display. When I set it brighter, I can see it better but then it's really annoying when my sunglasses are off. Any trick to this?

3) The pop up projection display is shifted a bit to the left of my steering wheel. I can see where I can change the height of the projection but is there a way to ask BMW to center it more?

4) My Ipod touch continues to charge in USB port even after I turn off the car and lock the doors. Will this drain the battery? Is there a way to disable this? Or do I have to unplug the ipod every time (it's an older large GB device).

5) When I drive, if I take the foot off the gas pedal, the car slowly slows down, as if it's breaking. This even happens on a hill on the freeway. Is this normal? It seems like i have to "ride the accelerator petal" in order to maintain my speed. I am used to "coasting" but my car doesn't. Is this normal?

Thank you for any and all help! K

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Congrats on your beautiful car!

I don't have answrers to all your questions but the ones I do I will answer;

1) When I turn the engine off using the on/off button, the radio and dashboard lights stay on. So I have to push it again to turn it off completely?? Is there a way to just adjust it so the button turns off everything the first time?
-I believe you can go into your iDrive and adjust the time you want the lights to remain on. I believe it's under "lighting".

2) I also have to open the car door by pulling on the lever twice. Can I just pull on it once and have it open? All this extra effort seems crazy to me.
-Yes, you can remove this feature but you will need to have it coded out. I coded this out myself, couldn't stand this.

3) The pop up projection display is shifted a bit to the left of my steering wheel. I can see where I can change the height of the projection but is there a way to ask BMW to center it more?
-I don't think you can shift the heads up display. And sunglasses will interfere with the heads up display.

4) When I drive, if I take the foot off the gas pedal, the car slowly slows down, as if it's breaking. This even happens on a hill on the freeway. Is this normal? It seems like i have to "ride the accelerator petal" in order to maintain my speed. I am used to "coasting" but my car doesn't. Is this normal?
-Yup, it's normal, actually it's the norm on most BMW's. My e92 did the same thing, I actually like when the car slows down.

#3 · (Edited)

1) I think F1 mis-read, yes you will have to push the start button twice. First to turn off engine, then electronics. I thought it was crazy, but give it a couple weeks and you'll be doing it to your other cars by accident like I do :)

2) This can be coded. If you don't have children, or feel comfortable enough getting it coded. In the iDrive settings, turn off the locking while in drive or whatever it says. Essentially your doors will stay unlocked, so when you come to park, you won't have to do the double pull.

5) Yes it does not have that same coast as other cars do, I suspect it has something to do with a quasi-regenerative system when that efficient dynamics blue arrow comes on in the MPG meter. Another thing you'll just get used to...

Can't help you with the HUD as I don't have it.

Good luck
Chris

#6 · (Edited)

1)If you press it once, get out of the car and lock it, the radio and dashboard lights will shut off upon locking.

2) If you hold the door handle for a delayed second or two before pulling it, you'll notice the locks pop up and then only one pull will open the door. (It can be programmed that comfort access on drivers door unlocks all doors or just drivers door in iDrive settings.)

#10 ·
Same thing here. I am used to it now. This was not the case with my 2006 750i

I don't have to do it twice.

2) When I wear my sunglasses while driving, I can hardly see the pop up display. When I set it brighter, I can see it better but then it's really annoying when my sunglasses are off. Any trick to this?
Yes. Head up display does not work with certain sunglasses. I learned it the hard way. I took it to the dealer and they gave me a loaner. After few hours they told me, they fixed it by reprogramming the car. Pickup the car at night and it was fine. Next morning it was gone again. Then I realized it was fine all along. Glasses were the culprit. Manual says that.

#13 ·
->If you only hit the button once, the radio and dash lights will go off on their own after about 5 minutes, or immediately when you lock the car. However, if you wish to use the residual heat function, you must press the on/off button twice to totally shut the car down. Then use the driver's side fan button to set the residual heat.

->Your options are to pull the lever twice or unlock the doors first and pull the lever once. The car can be reprogrammed to automatically unlock the doors on shut down, but that requires recoding.

->Polarized sunglasses interfere with the display. Nonpolarized sunglasses will not interfere. I keep two pair of sunglasses in my car. Nonpolarized for driving, and polarized for when I'm out and about.

->Height and brightness are adjustable. Unfortunately, there is no horizontal adjustment.

4) My Ipod touch continues to charge in USB port even after I turn off the car and lock the doors. Will this drain the battery? Is there a way to disable this? Or do I have to unplug the ipod every time (it's an older large GB device).
->It only seems that way. About 15 minutes after you shut down the car, it will "go to sleep". You iPod will stop charging while the car is asleep. Once you open a door, the car "wakes up", and it will start charging again.

5) When I drive, if I take the foot off the gas pedal, the car slowly slows down, as if it's breaking. This even happens on a hill on the freeway. Is this normal? It seems like i have to "ride the accelerator petal" in order to maintain my speed. I am used to "coasting" but my car doesn't. Is this normal?
->This is normal. It has to do with the transmission programming.

Good luck with your car. It's beautiful!

#14 ·
Thank you so much for all of the responses! I am spending the week learning all the ins and outs of the car and really enjoying the driving experience, especially coming from a Lexus. I love the fact that I can change "modes" to Sport or Comfort and get such a significant feel to the way the car drives. Most other cars offer this switch only as a gimmick without noticeable difference.

I am getting used to all the double pulls, pushes clicks, etc to get things done. A bit unnecessary it seems but I am sure it will be second nature by next month...

Oh, and someone ALMOST hit me today! OMG, I practically had a heart attack. Thank goodness I saw it coming and slammed on the brakes. Smelled awful afterward for a good 30 min but by this afternoon's drive home, I smelled nothing. SHEESH!

I need an alignment. Apparently I have a very conservative car because it is pulling to the right. Dealer said they'd take care of it. I miss the Lexus service guy showing up to pick up the car and leave me a loaner at work. Now I need to try to find an afternoon when I can drop it off, leave it, and pick it up. OY.

Kath

#15 · (Edited)
I need an alignment. Apparently I have a very conservative car because it is pulling to the right. Dealer said they'd take care of it. I miss the Lexus service guy showing up to pick up the car and leave me a loaner at work. Now I need to try to find an afternoon when I can drop it off, leave it, and pick it up. OY.

Kath
Haha :rofl:

That's somewhere Lexus might have BMW beat is that type of service. Be aware some dealers require you to make an appointment (and indicate you need a loaner) for you to get one, even with a 7. I do this online or over the phone.

I've dropped mine off a couple times unannounced/unplanned and only once I couldn't get a loaner because they were out.

Of course this could be just my dealer or the dealers in SoCal.

Congrats again!
Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.