BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Quick shout out to BMW and a little something else that gets on my nerves!

1K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  deccody 
#1 ·
Quick shout out to probably the best car maker there is! :thumbup:

Now that being said... EEEFFFFFFF your window regulator designs!!! Every SINGLE BMW I owned breaks AT LEAST 1 regulator. The design itself is great but your choice for materials in some areas slack BIG TIME. Construct those ends that hold the wire in place out of METAL!!! not cheap plastic that loves to snap. I've gone through at least 6 so far in 3 cars and I just lost another yesterday! (I cant even remember how many times ive had to do it. Once in mine, twice in the 540, and now a third time in the 528....) That one that just broke is the one i just fixed!!! Sad BMW.... Sad. Makes me wanna cry. Now Im hearing popping from the ONE I FIXED in my car... If that goes bad Imma abandon windows... maybe even write a letter. Thats over 600 bucks in parts alone... could have bought my car a nice toy with that money.

HOW MANY REGULATORS HAVE YOU GUYS LOST??? :dunno:

#2 · (Edited)
4 in 10 years, with 2 done by myself in the last six months. It's a pretty easy diy, tbh and I don't feel it's a big deal at all and I'll do the right rear (according to my records it's still on the original) when it starts creaking some more.

On the 2 E46's I've owned since late 2000 (current one since 2005), I've found always found the following helps make them work longer:

making sure the window seals/contact points are lubed with gummiflege
the windows themselves are nice clean and waxed as much as possible (easier if you car has a garage obviously)
and most importantly, USE THE WINDOWS, roll them down when you are in the car or even with the key fob while you are walking up to it. USE THEM, WORK THEM OUT.

A lot of the stress on them is when they never get used and "bond" to the rubber at the top and then have to crack loose. Furthermore, never using them leaves the cable in the same position and doesn't "work them out" either. If budget is a concern, buy a regulator when you can afford it and replace yourself when you have time. The first one will take longer but after you get the hang of it, it's easy. It also gives you a chance to inspect/repair the weather seals. I noticed on my driver door when I went in there a few months ago to replace the regulator (Regulator originally replaced by dealer in 2003 per my CPO records) they tore the thing up and didn't attach it back very well so I fixed it as well while I was in there.

#3 ·
4 in 10 years, with 2 done by myself in the last six months. It's a pretty easy diy, tbh and I don't feel it's a big deal at all and I'll do the right rear (according to my records it's still on the original) when it starts creaking some more.

On the 2 E46's I've owned since late 2000 (current one since 2005), I've found always found the following helps make them work longer:

making sure the window seals/contact points are lubed with gummiflege
the windows themselves are nice clean and waxed as much as possible (easier if you car has a garage obviously)
and most importantly, USE THE WINDOWS, roll them down when you are in the car or even with the key fob while you are walking up to it. USE THEM, WORK THEM OUT.

A lot of the stress on them is when they never get used and "bond" to the rubber at the top and then have to crack loose. Furthermore, never using them leaves the cable in the same position and doesn't "work them out" either. If budget is a concern, buy a regulator when you can afford it and replace yourself when you have time. The first one will take longer but after you get the hang of it, it's easy. It also gives you a chance to inspect/repair the weather seals. I noticed on my driver door when I went in there a few months ago to replace the regulator (Regulator originally replaced by dealer in 2003 per my CPO records) they tore the thing up and didn't attach it back very well so I fixed it as well while I was in there.
Oh I exercise the crap outta them... only use my windows, no A/C and my car is always pampered :) I did all of them myself hence why I didnt give a price to Labor... I can afford them its just a HASSLE you know?

#4 ·
Just wanted to say... the driver side front regulator went out... again. I have become a pro at these things and can do it in the dark in 5-10 minutes (it was midnight without lights)... Another 200 somthing bucks down the drain.

So again, thumbs down to the designer of these systems... The rear window designs are better, but the front are down right cheap - I wish they were manual windows.

#7 ·
just wanted to say... The driver side front regulator went out... Again. I have become a pro at these things and can do it in the dark in 5-10 minutes (it was midnight without lights)... Another 200 somthing bucks down the drain.

So again, thumbs down to the designer of these systems... The rear window designs are better, but the front are down right cheap - i wish they were manual windows.
$200?

#8 ·
If it's any consolation, BMW did not design or manufacture the window regulators. You can blame a company named Brose.
These crappy parts aren't exclusive to BMWs either. I've only replaced regulators in two other cars ( one was a VW, the other a Cadillac). They happened to have Brose regulators too.
I'm starting to see a pattern

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#11 ·
Actually I can tell you how to keep them from EVER failing :) Well besides never rolling the windows down...

Lube the seals the window rest against when its up. The glass sticks to them and when it frees up it causes the cable to jump the plastic wheels and damage itself. Eventually it snaps the plastic piece where it attaches to the cable or it jumps and totally mangles the cable. Ive been using gumi fledge since it was recommended to me and no more regulator failures since. Thats been 6 years ago now.

#13 ·
I did the zip tie thing on both sides of mine just today lol been meaning to but put it off till my driver side window took three minutes to row up this morning... both plastic things was broke ... cheap two dollar fix lol works like new ;)

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using BimmerApp mobile app

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.