BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

645 vs. 650

39K views 30 replies 11 participants last post by  DIV 
#1 · (Edited)
Now I'm in no way trying to justify my budget and my getting a used 645, but for me, somehow I prefer 645's over 650's.:dunno:I know 650's have more power, and better features, but still...maybe there's something special about the 645 as it was only around for 2 years and the 650 is in it's 3rd year and still going strong (isn't it?). When I see another 645 around I kind of think "ah, another classic!"

#2 ·
A fair statement. Have you actually driven a 650, or are you just speculating on the differences between it and the 645?

Both are very good cars in my opinion. I traded-in an `05 CPO 645 convertible for my `07 650. Aside from certain amenities, such as comfort access and updated software on the iDrive, the only real difference I have been able to perceive is horsepower.

#3 ·
I think it's too early to call a 645 a "classic" just yet. In my opinion. If you like the 645 you should go for it. To me both are the same car. Just different features.

My $.02

#5 ·
You must have good eyes. It takes me forever to even distinguish the e63 from the e64. Glad your digging your 645. Wait, do you have the car yet?

#6 ·
You must have good eyes. It takes me forever to even distinguish the e63 from the e64.
+1! I have to be close enough to see the badging to tell the difference.

#7 ·
I would suggest driving the exact 645 or 650 you are considering. It seems every car is a little different even amongst the same year and model. If you find a 645 that is "your" car, color, options, etc go for it, you'll probably save money and won't really notice a difference between engines. Or just bag it and get an M6. :D

#9 ·
Not to pick nits, but the E63 is the coupe and the E64 is the convertible. Both the 645 and 650 are available in E63 or E64 model designation.

I had a 645, and did not miss the extra HP of the 650. The 645 got me into enough trouble as it is! :) Would it have been nice to have the 650 over the 645? Yeah, sure, but for the price difference (I bought my 645 as the 650's were coming out), the 645 was a much better deal and value to me. All it lacked was HUD and Active Cruise.

#10 ·
No frakin way. Really? I thought the e63 was 2003/2007 cab/coupe and the e64 was the face lifted 2008. Now I fell stuipid. :eek: Anybody else think this or just me?

#12 ·
I already have the car. I've had it for about 3 weeks.
Are the 630's coming out in the US??
And yes, I did know that the E-63 was coupe and E-64 was cab. No worries, RixSix, but it was an honest mistake. The body style didn't actually change, just facelift like they did with the E-39 a few years before the E-60 came out in 2003.

#14 ·
Well I learned something new today.

I don't think there is anything wrong with a 645 vs. 650. I personally like some of the interior improvements of the 650, but I can see how others would not like it as much. Bottom line is the 645 is a sweet ride. In fact it's the whole reason I feel in love with the 6s in the first place.

Enjoy the ride! :thumbup:

#13 ·
Doesn't look like the 63x series is heading to the states. It would be great to see the twin-turbo diesel version here, lots of torque.

#15 ·
there is one thing about the 650 in my opinion that is the reason i think it is way better looking (from the inside at least). It may just be because i have the chateau leather, but i CANNOT STAND the gray leather on all the 645's, to me the black leather just looks way way better no matter what interior color you choose. my friend has pretty much the same color combo as me on his 645 (except for sapphire black instead of jet black) and my interior looks so much better because of the chateau and black instead of his chateau and gray. just my $.02

#16 ·
Sure. But when people remark on the color, you have to tell them that it is "chateau".

#18 ·
And when you tell them "chateau", they say "what is chateau?", and you say "ah... gray."

:)

#19 ·
when they ask whats chateau i tell them dark red. i dont get why i would say gray?

#20 ·
LOL! Sorry, I've seen chateau palettes in gray, not red. Just giving you the biz. Chateau is not a color; it's a castle. Makes sense, though, that it is red. Chateau can also be a winery, like a bordeaux.

#21 ·
should of said the full chateau/dakota to clear everything up then i guess sorry lol

#23 ·
You hit it right on the head. When I thought of the 645 interior there was something about it that I couldn't put my finger on and that was it, the Chateau/Gray interior. Makes it look dullish for lack of a better word. The the 650 Black instead of gray really makes the interior pop.

Also, on the 08s both Saddle and Chateau come with Black regardless of whether you get the Dakota or Pearl leather. Only the Cream beige seems to come full cream beige (no black) with exceptio of the console and dash. What I mean is that the seatbelt shrouds are black instead of chateau/saddle.

I was also surprised when I first heard they called that color red Chateau instead of Bordeaux. Did they use Bordeaux on another model?

#22 ·
My bad. Now I wish I had chateau.

#25 ·
But the 645's gray interior with the black wood looks pretty sharp to me.

With the lighter color interiors, they can a PAIN to keep clean and can generate a lot of glare in a convertible. For a convertible, the darker colors actually work well from those perspectives.

Though I did have my eye on a Barbera Red with light interior convertible - sometimes logic only gets you so far! :D

#27 ·
I also agree with your statement... black/gray would be nice contrast as well.

But all black interiors ftw

#29 ·
For me, the best color combination, and the one I got, is Black Sapphire exterior, with Pearl Chateau (dark red) leather and Dark Wood trim. I saw it once at the dealership and 2 months later I ordered it exactly that way :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.