BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Service Engine Soon!

4K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  0w40X1 
#1 ·
Just took a X1 x28i on lease last month and have about 1300 miles on the odo. While driving this evening, notice that the Service Engine Soon light came on and stays on.

Checked the Vehicle Info on the iDrive and all appears ok including the engine oil level. I have been driving very gently considering its still in break in. Called the sales guy and he says it might be the fuel cap which I doubt since I have seen a separate message on the iDrive display when that happens.

The car does not feel/sound any different. Going to drive some more tonight so will check if the light goes away or will schedule a service appointment. Also I have the Progressive Snapshot plugged in on the OBD port but I doubt thats the cause. In any case, will remove and check.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Reading some other threads showed up that the light is an indication that some component is failing the self tests. Any ideas? :(

#4 ·
You are correct that some portion of the drivetrain has or is in the process of failing. Usually it's part of the emissions system, but could be anything. Although the engine may continue to work well, the ECU has put the engine into a "safe" mode. If anything further fails or the condition worsens, you may get into "limp mode".

don't worry just a reminder to bring the car in for service

happened to me last week
The SES light is not the same as the Conditioned Based System that calls for maintenance. The CBS indication for service says "Service in xxx miles".

#5 ·
MyX1 s28i did that on second fillup in Germany Euro delivery. I think I was distracted by someone pulling close, and moved my car with gas cap off.

I was somewhat panicked myself as I also had strong fuel smell inside car, but googled it at hotel and saw it was very common.

When I got car 2 months later the dealer cleared it.

Just always be sure gas cap it tight.

#6 ·
#7 ·
Interesting! Strangely enough the light has gone now. I removed the Snapshot device last evening itself (and the fuel cap was closed tightly as well) but the light continued to remain so difficult to gauge whether that's the contributing factor.

Do you guys recommend still taking it to the dealer for a check or best leave it undisturbed?

Just curious but can BMW service still check to see what if anything caused the light to come on even thought its not actually not on now? Like a history log which the car maintains!!! Too farfetched maybe :)

#10 ·
Some incidents were stored in my computer that told them I overheated the brakes or something, also

I eased it down a mountain once or twice, and barely touched the brakes.

The service soon light had already come on.

I later drove it as hard as I could on High Plain Raceway braking from 90 down to 40, and that bedded the brakes in with no fade and no service engine soon light.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.