BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

should i buy a 1980 320i?????????????

14K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  fast.work 
#1 ·
hey ya'll new to this...i'm looking at a 1980 320i...runs good...light surface rust...i'll do the timing belt...interior looks pretty clean...he wants $1500....does that sound right? what's a good offer? are they worth anything now or in the future??? i know about e30's but i need some help with this...thanks

#2 ·
hell yes

i just bought my first e21 it has 107k miles i bought it for 1000 it needed a water pump, i got some electrical problems but nothing major, it runs on an timing chain which very rarely needs to be replaced your problem might be more simple, but its a fun easy car to work one parts are usually fairly cheap. if you want a nice little project which won't take a lot of money (in most cases) and all your time, go for it.

#4 ·
My brother-in-law was the original owner of a late 70's E21, 320. He drove that thing for about 250,000 miles. Even had the engine rebuilt after 150K.
I remembered not appreciating it back then. He borrowed my truck one weekend, and so we exchanged cars. That was back in about 1989, when his car was pretty old. I remembered thinking it seemed, 'stiff'. The seats were somewhat torn and I didn't know what he saw in it. He told me that he never had another car that was as fun to drive. Great visibility, firm ride, and they turn and drive like a go-cart.

Today, I appreciate all bimmers, and wouldn't mind having one of these myself, if I had the time to put into the repairs. They are definitely classics.

#8 ·
I just picked up a 1981 320i for $1650 Cdn. Drives very well, interior is perfect (was replaced with all new leather by previous owner). Idle hunts a little and the blower fan does not do anything. I have some work ahead of me, but otherwise decent ride. Also get to figure out how to install aftermarket audio. Looking forward to learning German engineering.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.