BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2008 328 Xi vs 2011 328i

9K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  spicytofu 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a heavy debate right now. My girlfriend wants a BMW 328 but which one should I get her. After looking at quite a few online, we bore it down to these two. One is younger and one is newer. But they both have same miles and the packages/features are all the same as well. Which one would u get? We saw these 2 on carmax.

BMW 2008 328 Xi
-44k Miles
-$24,599
- PROS: 4 wheel drive, 3.5k cheaper, we like the color scheme way better, navigation system

BMW 2011 328 i
-43k miles
-$27,998
- PROS: its newer model, but don't know if any improvements to later models?

Questions I have that hopefully somebody can help me answer.
What about maintenance wise to compare both cars?
Any recalls on 2008 or 2011 to help sway decision?
What new features or improvements have happened to 2011 since the 2008?
Is price reasonable?

Hope you all can help or have any input feel free. THANKS!

See less See more
#2 ·
Is the 2008 CPO? Since that warranty will be running out if it hasnt already. The 2011 should still be under warranty for approximately 3 years, depending on in service date

#4 ·
I have a heavy debate right now. My girlfriend wants a BMW 328 but which one should I get her. After looking at quite a few online, we bore it down to these two. One is younger and one is newer. But they both have same miles and the packages/features are all the same as well. Which one would u get? We saw these 2 on carmax.
Just one question. The only question, really:

What does she want?​

Act otherwise at your peril.

#5 · (Edited)
Some say the cars were cheapened in 2010 and on

Some say the cars were cheapened in 2010 and on.
But a 2011 should have the redesigned head that avoids the valve ticking problem supposedly.

The stereo in some of the early builds of the 2011 is the base stereo and not the Hi Fi .
If the car has the HK or L7 stereo you probably won't want to modify it.
The Hi Fi option it OK but the ampless base stereo from 2010 and early 2011 is a POS

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=435080&highlight=disappointed

I would think you cold get the older one for 1 to 2k cheaper.

#6 ·
The 2008 is "Carmax Quality Certified" and I believe you are correct that it is out of manufacturer warranty by now. The 2011 should have 3 years of warranty left but then again I wouldn't expect any major problems really within next 3 years.

Carmax offers like a 5 year or up to 100,000k miles extended warranty, which ever comes first. And to get that extended warranty is $2k I believe for the BMW at carmax. From what I'm reading its bull****, since they dont cover anything of real value. ALl the typical problems that would arise with car repairs and maintenance they don't cover. So I guess I'm playing a risk without getting warranty and major problems can occur later. We plan to keep this car long term, so not just dump it after warranty ends. Any other extended warranties I can get/or people recommend?

Not paying car completely for her lol. And she wants the 2011 cuz it is newer. But we both like the color scheme of the 2008 one.

#7 ·
Why does the 2011 already have 43,000 miles? Highway miles?

In case you aren't aware CarMax does not negotiate on price. Period. The advertised price IS the price you will pay.

Have you looked at CPO models at BMW dealers?

There are no major differences between 2008 & 2011. In 2009 there was a mid-cycle "facelift". The front and rear facias were modified and there were a few interior modifications.

#9 ·
tturedraider - Yeah I know Carmax is non-negotiable. I have taken a look at the BMW dealers. Though most have a lower mileage by 5k-10k or something. The prices substantially go way up by 4-5k thousand and even if I were negotiate it woudln't be down by that much is my logic.

yeah the 43k miles on a 2011 car scares me a little bit lol.

#10 ·
One good way to look at a 2011 with 43k miles, those miles pretty much have to be "highway" miles...you definately can't rack up that many miles in stop and go traffic, unless the car is operated 20 hrs per day. I was kinda in your situation when considering picking up an 09 328i. Email Daniel@Pacific BMW, he offered me a really good price for a BMW extended warranty.

#13 ·
I have an extended warranty issued by www.TierOneWarranty.com. I have Platinum coverage which also provides certain wear and tear coverage. I researched them before I purchased it and was pretty satisfied with what I found.

I've only used it once so far and everything went smoothly. I expect I'll use it again for some wear and tear before it expires.

My car had 51,400 miles on it when I bought it. It runs for 72,000 miles and/or 60 months from inception. It cost $2,400.

#14 · (Edited)
I went to the dealership not knowing about the LCI and bought the 2011 new. I got really lucky and glad I got the 2011. Most of the issues were fixed in the 2011 and the new Idrive is a must I hear. Plus I am loviiing the LED DRLs. I see the ugly yellow from pre 2011 and cannot stand looking at them. But 43k miles on a 2011 is a lot, i only have 7500 on mine. Warranty is a must.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.