BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

M Steering Wheel Adjustment & New Owner

6K views 30 replies 12 participants last post by  Bimmervegas 
#1 ·
Hey all,

Took delivery of my F15 xDrive 3.5D on Monday night. M Sport, Multi Contour seats, Driver Assistance, 20" 451, Black Dakota Leather, Black Sapphire Metallic, HK Sound, Premium Pkg. What I've been finding in A LOT of new cars is that the power telescoping steering wheels do NOT seem to come DOWN far enough. They telescope out far enough, just not down. Had this problem with my 14 MDX, and noticed this when test driving the ML350. Same sort of issue in this new X5. I can get the seat adjusted perfectly to my comfort level for my long legs, etc. But, the steering wheel does not come down where it is like 90 degrees perpendicular to the dash. I normally like the steering wheel like 2 inches from the top of my legs. My 13 MDX came down real far. I feel as if I'm hanging onto the top of the steering wheel. Does anyone else notice this? AND, is there anything that can be coded to allow more vertical downward travel of the steering wheel or anything the dealer can do? I know this is probably a stupid question, but it is really bugging me. I thought perhaps maybe I purchased the wrong vehicle, but I am noticing this in Acuras, BMW, MB, etc.

HK Sound is pretty good. I suspect the B&O would've been amazing. Glad I held out for the multi contour and didnt take one with the sport seats they offered me early. It's just always difficult/frustrating getting used to a new car and finding that perfect seating position. Then factor in 20 ways adjustments, and I'm constantly changing my seat setting while driving LOL. :loco:

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
we dont believe it until you post pictures here and on the F15 picture thread!

#3 ·
HAHA. I just knew someone would say that. I've got a couple of crappy pics I snapped with my Droid 4 (yes, I need a new phone LOL).

Attachments

#4 ·
real nice. congrats.

#5 ·
THANK YOU! Hoping someone can help me with the steering wheel issue as I feel like a monkey or thug hanging onto the steering wheel :bigpimp:! LOL. Another inch downward on the steering wheel would make life grand!

#11 ·
I don't think you can code that to get the steering wheel to go lower.
I notice that there is extra room on the bottom cover. Maybe longer bolt and spacer??
BTW, nice car. I would kill to have black/black/black. :D
I just can't get over the fact on getting it clean and shiny for the whole time of owning it though.

#12 ·
One question: if the steering wheel is at its lowest, how do you see the instrument cluster? Wouldn't the steering wheel get in the way? Or do you just not use the instrument cluster and rely solely on the HUD?

This might not be the exact solution you were looking for, but how about raising the seat to meet the steering wheel at the location where it's comfortable for you? Just a thought.

Also, congrats! Looks great!

Z.

#16 · (Edited)
Yep. Like I said, it does bug me but I have MOSTLY gotten used to it. If I get to a spot where my legs are uber comfortable, i'm too far from the wheel/dash. If I get to where the wheel is in perfect/optimal reach, 'm too damn close. i did find that if I move the seat up closer, and extended the thigh support to its maximum outward position, it supports my legs and I can reach the steering wheel somewhat comfortably. On long drives, I normally pop my shoe off my right foot and slide the seat up a couple inches closer and it is perfect :) I always seem to have dress shoes or boots on with a heel that tennis shoes don't have. When you wear those kind of shoes, they really do decrease the space you have as the heel hits the bottom of the accelerator.\

I have given up on this issue. It seems to be a trend in the new ML, MDX, and X5. Sometimes I notice the wheel doesn't come all the way down or out in auto. So once I start the car I manually pull and push down on the steering wheel switch to make sure it is extended all the way - sometimes it is not.

#17 ·
@Bimmervegas, I was thinking that perhaps it has something to do with 'safety' and the airbag. If the steering wheel tilts too far down, maybe automakers are worried that the airbag wouldn't 'catch' the driver's head in the event of deployment during an accident. In that scenario, perhaps the head jolts forward and causes too much whiplash? Then again, I always thought that the airbags were pretty large. Instead, maybe automakers are worried about the airbag deploying directly into the driver's chest?

Anyway, like you said, it's not that big a deal...just more of a little hassle. Car drives nicely otherwise.

#18 ·
that makes sense. If you watch some of the new IIHS test with the new frontal offset crashes, they had alot of problems with vehicles failing the test because the driver's head completely missed the airbag and hit the A pillar or missed the side curtain airbag. But still, a driver's seating position can vary so widely - I wonder how they define the parameters on where the seat will be placed in these crash tests? Also, for years they have always said sitting too close to the steering wheel airbag will cause injuries anyhow. a 5'5" woman is going to sit in a completely different spot than a 6'3" man. I know they use 'averages' for the dummies in the tests, but there are so many variables. This is an interesting theory based on the new frontal offset crash tests. Fortunately the BMW X5 received a 'good' rating on it. Too bad they don't have a video of the crash online - for some reason. Like I said, I noticed this 'problem' with the steering wheel not coming down low enough in the 14 MDX, 14 ML, and 14 BMW X5.

#20 ·
Unfortunately when you are 6'3 + and start playing with the seat height, it starts putting you into the headliner and then you can't see out of the windshield without starting to duck and look down :banghead: :eek:uch:. I've always had to have my seat on lowest height setting with bottom seat angle tilted back and up to give maximum support for long legs - in ANY vehicle. It just helps ALOT when BMW and Audi give you the adjustable thigh support :)

#25 ·
I don't think so. I've learned to live with it in both the F15's I've owned. The steering wheel SHOULD come down at least another inch IMHO.

#24 ·
This was a 2014 back when I got new. The order options have changed since then.,

#27 ·
covered in previous reply/convo in the thread. I'm too tall then I cant see out the windshield properly.

#30 ·
I've given up. This is my 3rd F15 X5 and all three didn't allow the steering wheel to tilt down far enough. Sucks, but it is what it is. My second F15 50i had the steering wheel module fail, and the steering wheel would not telescope out. When they reinstalled the new module and programmed it in, I lost all my damn coding. Annoying! I already had my replacement F15 on order so it wasn't but a couple weeks b4 I got the 16 F15 and had a friend code it for me. My first F15 35d steering wheel motor acted up alot, so I suspect this is a common issue with them failing.

#31 ·
and BTW, my 16 Escalade Luxury's steering wheel will actually go lower than 90 degrees and actually touch my lap! So I don't think it is a safety issue, it's a design issue. Take some of the damn travel out of the height and allow it to go lower already! Who the hell would drive with the steering wheel tilted up all the way!? I know they tilt it up for easy egress and ingress, but damn!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.