BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Clicking noise (switch???) on clutch pedal release (2005 330i)

6K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Orient330Ci 
#1 ·
Sometimes, after I first start the car, I hear a distinct clicking noise
when I release and press the clutch pedal. It sounds exactly like a switch being
pressed and released. It coincides with a specific position of the clutch pedal and the
sound is coming from somewhere in the area of the pedal. It goes away a very short
time after I drive away and doesn't seem to come back until I get back in the car
after some time. It doesn't happen all the time. And, it doesn't seem to affect the
performance of the clutch.

Any idea what this is? Sorry if this has been covered, but I was unable to find a similar
issue after doing a search.

#2 ·
I also have an '05 330i with about 1800 miles. I've noticed that exact noise on only a couple of occasions. Once I kept pressing it just to be sure I did hear it, and it was just as you said. Other than the starter interlock, the only thing I can think of is the cruise control disengage switch--maybe it makes a slight noise when the switch is cold? But then again, it is very inconsistent even at various temperatures.

#3 ·
markl53 said:
I also have an '05 330i with about 1800 miles. I've noticed that exact noise on only a couple of occasions. Once I kept pressing it just to be sure I did hear it, and it was just as you said. Other than the starter interlock, the only thing I can think of is the cruise control disengage switch--maybe it makes a slight noise when the switch is cold? But then again, it is very inconsistent even at various temperatures.
The cruise control switch IS the starter interlock. If it's there all the time, I would think it's the interlock although after MY 01 the interlock has been integrated into the clutch master cylinder and it's magnetic, not switch based.

If you search for "clutch" and "click" on this forum, you should find some description of a problem BMW had with a throw-out bearing issue on 02-03 manuals, in one of the threads the TSB number and description of the problem is given. Sorry, but I'm not going to ATYCLB the link for you, you'll need to look for it yourself.

#4 ·
The HACK said:
The cruise control switch IS the starter interlock. If it's there all the time, I would think it's the interlock although after MY 01 the interlock has been integrated into the clutch master cylinder and it's magnetic, not switch based.

If you search for "clutch" and "click" on this forum, you should find some description of a problem BMW had with a throw-out bearing issue on 02-03 manuals, in one of the threads the TSB number and description of the problem is given. Sorry, but I'm not going to ATYCLB the link for you, you'll need to look for it yourself.
So it is one single switch for the cruise and starter interlock? ok.. Also, for me, the noise is definitely inside the car so I think it's local to the clutch pedal action and not a bearing noise, just IMO.

#5 ·
The HACK said:

Ok, I found the thread you're referring to. I guess I limited my seach to the E46
subgroup but found the thread when I searched more groups. There is no
pedal feel related to this sound, just a clicking noise. I agree that it's likely the starter
interlock switch. This morning was quite a bit warmer than yesterday and there
was no sound. So, maybe it's temp related or maybe it's just random. I'll keep
my eye (ear? ;) ) on it and maybe mention it to the dealer.

By the way, what does ATYCLB mean? Am I too old to get it? ;)

Thanks.

#7 ·
dcrocker said:

Thanks.
Welcome to the Fest. I have the same noise on my 03 and I'm nearly certain it is the starter interlock. Try to start the car with the pedal just north of the click and it probably wont, push down a bit further after the click and it will.

ATYCLB is a bimmerfest member. For reasons unbeknownst to most of us, he lives to police the boards for reposts. :loco: Best to ignore him.

#8 ·
dcrocker said:
Ok, I found the thread you're referring to. I guess I limited my seach to the E46
subgroup but found the thread when I searched more groups.
If you're doing forum-limited searches, use "3-series" instead. The E46 forum has only been around a couple months. This is probably the biggest problem with shuffling forums around is messing up search results and locking old (but relevant) threads closed to posting replies.

"All That You Can't Leave Behind," a U2 album released in 2000. (In this usage, a Bimmerfest member.)

#9 · (Edited)
Found the answer...

OK, tonight I finally put 2+2 together and realized when my clutch makes the clicking noise. Now that I know the answer, I can make it happen at will. The "switch clicking" noise occurs only during the period when the seat belt chime is going off after just starting the car. Once the chime stops, so does the clicking. Try it -- start up in neutral (no seatbelt) and immediately press and release the clutch a few times while the seat belt reminder is going. You'll notice the clicking stops when the chime stops. It's as though a switch is placed into position to sense starter interlock for the few seconds and then removed. If this is true, those Germans are more fanatical with engineering than I even imagined! (I mean that as a compliment).

Oh, I haven't yet tried it with my seatbelt fastened to see if it's specifically a time thing or directly connected with the chime function -- maybe later...

#10 ·
markl53 said:
OK, tonight I finally put 2+2 together and realized when my clutch makes the clicking noise. Now that I know the answer, I can make it happen at will. The "switch clicking" noise occurs only during the period when the seat belt chime is going off after just starting the car. Once the chime stops, so does the clicking. Try it -- start up in neutral (no seatbelt) and immediately press and release the clutch a few times while the seat belt reminder is going. You'll notice the clicking stops when the chime stops. It's as though a switch is placed into position to sense starter interlock for the few seconds and then removed. If this is true, those Germans are more fanatical with engineering than I even imagined! (I mean that as a compliment).

Oh, I haven't yet tried it with my seatbelt fastened to see if it's specifically a time thing or directly connected with the chime function -- maybe later...
Interesting...
Well, I always fasten my seatbelt before I start the car and the clicking still happens
then stops after a bit. I will play with it tomorrow, but from my experience, it's not tied to
the chime itself, but maybe to some timer related to the chime.

I do find it amusing and a little silly that we even care about this. I guess it's a mystery
to solve... :dunno:

#11 ·
Partial retraction :)

dcrocker said:
Interesting...
Well, I always fasten my seatbelt before I start the car and the clicking still happens
then stops after a bit. I will play with it tomorrow, but from my experience, it's not tied to
the chime itself, but maybe to some timer related to the chime.

I do find it amusing and a little silly that we even care about this. I guess it's a mystery
to solve... :dunno:
Umm, today I noticed it kept clicking a little while after the chime stopped, so I need to retract that part :). But, I still say it is some time-related thing upon startup...I don't like to leave wrong info, especially when I said it :eek: .

#12 ·
markl53 said:
Umm, today I noticed it kept clicking a little while after the chime stopped, so I need to retract that part :). But, I still say it is some time-related thing upon startup...I don't like to leave wrong info, especially when I said it :eek: .
Sorry, but I heard it after drving for a while. Very strange...

And, for those inclined to flame, I can assure you that I'm mostly curious as opposed
to worried. However, I'm losing my curiosity pretty quickly ;) .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.