BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

BMW drops 335d. Why?

7K views 29 replies 26 participants last post by  d geek 
#1 · (Edited)
My 2009 335d is the greatest car I have ever owned. I finally stopped missing my XKE 2+2. Why did BMW drop it for 2012 but keep it in the SUV? The only thing the XKE was better for was that women don't leave notes under the windshield wiper with their name and phone number asking for a ride in the BMW.

#2 ·
The new F30 is coming out soon and in the first model year the Diesel is not available.
But it looks like the 320D or 325D will be taking it's place.
So we probably will be the lucky ones to have the 335D.:thumbup:

#3 ·
I spoke with a salesman about it before I bought my d last summer. He said they were slow sellers because of the increased price and because Americans don't want diesels. Our cars are noisy and smokey, right?

#11 ·
I spoke with a salesman about it before I bought my d last summer. He said they were slow sellers because of the increased price and because Americans don't want diesels. Our cars are noisy and smokey, right?
I think it is that but also combined with the typical American BMW buyer is not one prone to a diesel.

I would still prefer to see this in the 3 series. Less weight means a quicker car. But I totally agree with the thread starter - this is the best car I have owned and a better daily driver than anything I have raced in the So Cal stoplight wars. I got beat by an AMG the other day but I had the wife and kids and thus a vested interest in acting like a grownup.
This is confusing my inner child.

#8 ·
A 535d would be awesome!

#10 ·
I would still prefer to see this in the 3 series. Less weight means a quicker car. But I totally agree with the thread starter - this is the best car I have owned and a better daily driver than anything I have raced in the So Cal stoplight wars. I got beat by an AMG the other day but I had the wife and kids and thus a vested interest in acting like a grownup.

#17 ·
It amazes me yet that I run into People down here in Puerto Rico and I believe you guys in the upper states too. The give me the look and give me the usual question, BMW does DIESELS?. I was at an event last nite and we are talking about HIGH end vehicles ala Porsche, Lambos Ferrari, Vettes etc etc. I spoke to some of my friends I went to highschool with and are Millionaires and have big TOYS. Anyway their question was, Hey Axel what are u bringing for the 1/2 mile race, I would say a BMW 335d, and they would what is a "D" stand for, I would say DIESEL and they would say BMW does DIESELS? no way, since when?

So I would enlighten them about Merc, BMW Audi are bringing them more now than before, anyway I happened to meet another 335d and he was in love with his 09, I gave him a ride on my RENNtech 335d, and he was sold. He is planning In purchasing the tune for it soon. He told me"damn this thing can run, you're going to surprise a lot of these big guns!!!!

#20 ·
I believe I read in the latest Roundel that 42% of the cars BMW sells in Europe are diesels. The US market just hasn't accepted them as a viable alternative to gasoline engines. One major issue is the additional road tax that makes diesel as or more expensive than premium gasoline. In most European countries diesel is as cheap or cheaper than regular grade gasoline. My understanding is that the additional tax on diesel was designed to be borne by the trucking industry to help fund repairs and maintenance of highways due to their increased amount of damage caused by heavy trucks. Unfortunately this higher tax is now being borne by those of us driving diesel automobiles that cause no more damage than any other automobile. Go figure.

#21 ·
I read somewhere that about 30% of E90 335 sales were diesel in 2011, not too shabby. The local VW dealer has trouble getting enough TDI models to meet demand and their used car manager told me he has a waiting list for TDI's! Demand seems to be increasing and will continue to do so if a good selection of models is offered. BMW may be dropping the ball as VW, Audi and MB are increasing diesel offerings.

As to fuel tax, the right move might be to reduce tax on diesel to lower transportation costs for goods, stimulating the economy, and raise tax on gasoline spurring demand for fuel efficient vehicles.

#23 ·
Here in Illinois, our local VW dealer can't keep enought TDi's in stock for demand either. And if they ever get a trade-in TDi, which is very, very rare, they are gone in hours, or in rare cases days. Sales managers have no issue charging whatever price they want as they know they will get it, especially if it's a 5-speed.

Diesel cars will probably always be a "niche" product here in the US, but at least Automobile & Motor Trend are on board. I've been amazied how much they have been discussing them lately.

#26 ·
This makes me laugh but in a good way because you are right but so many people were trying to low ball me when I was looking to sell/trade my 2006 Jetta TDI manual last August that only had 89,000 kms on it. Car was fully loaded and they were quoting me prices that a petrol Jetta would be getting.

I laughed and eventually got $15,000 cash for it. I was the only owner and car was in great shape.

#28 ·
Agree that appears to be BMW's strategy in NA, but in Europe, the 330d (there's no 335d anymore) gets better fuel mileage (4.9 liters/100 km vs 5.9 liters/100 km), lower CO2 emissions (129 g/km vs 139 g/km), nearly as good performance (0-100 km/hr in 5.6 sec for the 330d; 5.3 sec for the ActiveHybrid 3), AND it's significantly less expensive (in Europe anyway)...

£40,235 - Hybrid SE
£33,280 - 330d SE
£6955 less for 330d =~$11,000 less for 330d

http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/pricesandspecifications/0,,1156___bs-Mw==@bb-RjMw,00.html (330d)
http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/pricesandspecifications/0,,1156___bs-Mw==@bb-RjMwQUg=,00.html (ActiveHybrid 3)

#29 ·
Give it time. We should hold judgement until the next X5 comes out. I suspect we'll know for sure once BMW jettisons the N55 (335i) for a higher HP engine. This would make room for a diesel. The 335d(e90) is impressive. Afterall BMW had to add 2 gears and drop 2 cylinders in their 328 just to reach our performance specs.

Sent from my MB525 using Bimmer App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.