BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

335iS or M3?

51K views 227 replies 71 participants last post by  Perry73 
#1 ·
I hate the fact that it's so hard to make this decision. I hope BMW adds something to the M3 coupe to make my decision easier in about 10 months. If not, I don't see myself getting an M3, because the 335iS seems to be an M3, without the gas guzzler tax and a V8. Please convince me to get an ///M3. We all know that the numbers on the 335iS are all underrated.

350hp and 369 ft lbs of torque is what BMW states. Put that on a Dyno and you're pretty close to 400+. Someone please help me justify the ///M3 over the 335iS. I feel stupid even thinking about it. It even has a 7 speed Duel Clutch Transmission, and ducting like the ///M3 for engine coolong! PLEASE, I'm begging! Convince me to get the ///M3.

#3 ·
It's basically an M3 without the V8 and Gas guzzler tax.
Because the first time you see an M while driving your 335IS, this is what you will think. And you will not like the 335IS as much afterwards, while still pining for the M. Newer and more advanced FI engines will continue to arrive, but V8s may be going the way of the do-do. Get the E9X while you can. The body style will not even be dated for another 3-4 years.

#4 · (Edited)
I can tell you ten different reasons why I would get the M3 over the new and improved 335is, but everyone is different, and you may be better suited for the 335.
Also, I highly doubt that the LCI version of the E92 M3 will offer any performance bump over current specs.

Here's why I'd take the M3 6 days a week and twice on Sundays:

1. V8 at 8,300 rpm. If you haven't felt this rush in the M3, you have no basis for making the comparison. It is an exhilerating feeling that the 335 will never be able to replicate, regardless of the 335is's increase in power.

2. M3 suspension. It's my understanding that the 335is is not getting a significant suspension upgrade. The M3's suspension and EDC is one of the things that helps the fat pig of an E92 defy physics and handle like it does. Without this, the 335 is just a wallowing fat pig. At the same time, the M3 also feels much more solid and much less "crashy" over bad roads.

3. M differential. Without a true LSD, traction is seriously compromised. What good is all that power if it can't be properly put down to the pavement? Not long ago, I went on a drive in the Texas hill country which a bunch of M3, 335, and 135 owners. It was great fun and I was impressed with all of the cars there. The one disadvantage of the non-M cars that stood out to me was the problems they had accelerating hard into turns. This is a disadvantage even in daily driving, when opening up the throttle in turns.

4. Exterior appearance. The 335, even with the M-sport fascia, is such a flat and generic looking car, especially from the side. Don't get me wrong, the 335 is a good looking car, it's just not special. The M3 looks infinitely better and more aggressive from every angle.

5. Exhaust note. I'm pretty sure this doesn't need any explanation. Interestingly, my E46 ZHP had a better exhaust note than the E92.

6. M-Drive, MDM, etc. The amount of adjusting and fine tuning that the M3 driver can do to adjust throttle response, suspension settings, steering effort, and traction control to fit his personality and the current driving conditions is amazing. The fact that one can transform this car from a docile and comfortable daily driver to an absolute track beast instantly with the touch of a button is incredible.

7. M reputation/cache. No, women don't immediately recognize the M3 for what it is and fall over themselves trying to talk to you, but the M3 (no matter what generation) is respected in the enthusiast community as a driver's car and gets special attention. The 335 does not and never will have the same pull.

8. Much more track ready. This factor is sort of captured in the above reasons, but worth a separate post. If you want to track your BMW, the M3 (aside from a recommended, but not necessary, brake fluid and pad change) can be driven straight onto the track and driven hard. Obviously, the 335 can also be tracked, but its weaknesses are quickly exposed and its not nearly as rewarding of an experience.

9. Only V8 3 series ever. The E9X M3 almost certainly will be the only factory V8 3 series ever produced. Will that make this car a collectible? Not any time soon, but it does make it a very unique and desirable model.

10. Leather. The M3's leather is vastly superior to the leather in the 335 and much softer and more comfortable to the touch.

11. No HPFP. 'Nuff said.

Really, there are only two downsides to the M3 compared to the 335is: initial cost (which I suspect will be less than $10k more when similarly optioned) and fuel efficiency, which will likely only be a few mpg different (I get almost 17 mpg in the city and 21 on the highway), and only a few hundred extra dollars per year.

#9 ·
Here's why I'd take the M3 6 days a week and twice on Sundays:

1. V8 at 8,300 rpm.
2. M3 suspension. ...EDC is one of the things that helps the fat pig of an E92 defy physics and handle like it does...
3. M differential. ...true LSD...
4. Exterior appearance...
5. Exhaust note.
6. M-Drive, MDM, etc.
7. M reputation/cache.
8. Much more track ready.
9. Only V8 3 series ever.
10. Leather.
11. No HPFP. 'Nuff said.
1. Oh, my, YES. A friend has one and the motor...just. keeps. going.
2. The single best thing about the car, hands down. It handles better, off the showroom floor, better than any car BMW has ever made. Even the stock E30M3. It's not snappier than the E30, for sure, just more solid. And it's a bazillion times more competent than the E46 was.
3. Yes
4. Yes. It just looks better.
5. That's something that can easily be changed, and, frankly they kind of sound like azz at idle. WOT? Very sexy.
6. Yes. You can actually dial the car in to your preferences and quirkiness. Just awesome.
7. Sure, why not ;)
8. See #2 & #6.
9. Correct. But that's not *that* important an item. The motor is Godly, yes, but that's a bit of a grasp when saying "it's better than a 335"
10. So nice and supple.
11. :D

I want the wagon version, which they'll never make, so I'll have to win the lottery and scrap one together out of an E91 chassis and an E90 drive train and front body work.

THAT would be a sweet little sleeper. :drive:

#6 ·
I think you need to sh*t or get off the pot with this...or at least come to the pot when you think you are ready to sh*t.

Bottom line: M3 drivers never question their car, 335 driver's do...why's that then?

#8 ·
1. Where do you get those 350hp from? I read they are only bumping it up to 322.
2. How much is a well-optioned 335is going to cost? If they push it into the 50K range, you might as well consider a base M3, not sure what the ED option is but probably under 60K anyway.

#12 · (Edited)
Drive them both. You have to drive them to understand the differences IMO.

Ms are just different, closer to a real track car and a much sportier drive. My E46 M3 still feels way better (even if it is not necessarily that much quicker) than a new 335i and just makes you know it is a M every time you start it. It is not the V8, but the I6 still screams (I can always tell when a e9x or E46 M3 goes by, they have a unique sound) ;)

I also like the idea that the e9x M3 seems like it could be more of a daily driver, the E46 M3 never seemed like a DD to me (it is harsh at times).

#19 ·
I had the same dilemma. My lease on my 07 335I Coupe is coming to an end. I was questioning the 335 vs the M3. I loved my 335, however I wanted something different. I wanted something with power, panash, and something that was different. The M3 spoke to me when i test drove it. It just felt so different than a 335 to me in so many ways. Yes, you are going to pay a bit more, however for the extra money, I think it is well worth it. I made my decision a few days ago and special ordered my M3 coupe due in April. I know I made the right choice and if you look at all these posts, I think it will make your decsion much easier. Good luck!!

#20 ·
I must baby my M3 during break in but a firend just explained the awesome power of M3 in "launce mode" and it sounds like a rush unavailable with the 335 you are compating the M3 to. As others have said, you must drive and feel the difference.:bigpimp:

#28 ·
As captainaudio pointed out, if you are concerned about people thinking you are in a "regular" 3-series, maybe an M3 is not "look at me" enough for you. It can easily be mistaken for a run of the mill 3 to the non-enthusiast. However, you won't be disappointed in the way the car drives. I, for one, prefer to be noticed a little, if not a lot, less. That's one of the reasons I like the M3; goes back to that whole wolf in sheep's clothing thing. If you care about what people think about you based on what they "think" you drive...get something flashier or more recognizable like a Porsche.

Oh, BTW, nice looking M TLudwig!

#30 ·
Thanks for the input everyone! I'm honestly leaning towards the ///M3. Lets see what the refresh brings. Also, visual appearance isn't a big deal for me.

P.S. CA, Get an ///M5/M6 as your next car. That's upscale! MB is bringing a C63 ///AMG coupe over with a 5.5L Twin Turbo. I'm also going to give that a look over before I make my final decision. I hope the plasticy cheap interior feel is gone.

#31 ·
Thanks for the input everyone! I'm honestly leaning towards the ///M3. Lets see what the refresh brings. Also, visual appearance isn't a big deal for me.

P.S. CA, Get an ///M5/M6 as your next car. That's upscale! MB is bringing a C63 ///AMG coupe over with a 5.5L Twin Turbo. I'm also going to give that a look over before I make my final decision. I hope the plasticy cheap interior feel is gone.
Sorry, I have no interest in the M5 or M6.

CA

#33 ·
the 335is is not going to have the same output as the Z4is

322hp/332 lb-ft (369 lb-ft in overboost).

so there will be a significant difference with the ///M3- also note that the ///M of the 1 (2012 MY) will slate in between the two at 350 hp.

-M

#34 ·
Mr. Ice, may I be so bold as to call you "Hot".:rofl:

After mulling this (and drinking a few shots of Tequila) over I have some advice.

Buy a 335i. Use the money you saved to go to a good driving school (I am partial to Skip Barber).

Your perspective will be changed forever.

CA

#35 ·
Mr. Ice, may I be so bold as to call you "Hot".:rofl:

After mulling this (and drinking a few shots of Tequila) over I have some advice.

Buy a 335i. Use the money you saved to go to a good driving school (I am partial to Skip Barber).

Your perspective will be changed forever.

CA
+1... but may I add also that if you do this then make the effort NOT to drive an M3 afterward for fear you may actually get incredibly depressed... ;)

Seriously... the 335iS is certainly all the car that 99.999% of the population will ever need on American highways and byways... more, in fact than you can legally (safely?) use under the vast majority of circumstances.

But I have to say... when I drove a 335i and an M3 back to back my eyes were seriously opened; I mean, it was just a totally different experience. Now, whether that experience is for you or not is something only you can decide. Myself, I have looked at the monthly payment and the cost of insurance and decided that I might be better off with a 335i(S) for now. Though I am also thinking of holding off my car purchase until later this year or early next, so I might still buy an M3 when finances improve...

#45 ·
It's pretty apparent you are a motorsports enthusiast HotIce. I will tell you a quick story about something that happened to me with motorcycles. I bought my first street bike when I was 18. It was $1,000 and was a blast to ride. Six years and a half-dozen bikes later, I bought my first new "sport-bike." I found myself doing lots of street riding that, looking back, was definitely not safe.

Then one day I did a track day. My eyes were opened wider than you could ever imagine. The closeness you have to a machine when you don't have to worry about gravel on the road, pedestrians/deer wandering out in front of you, and cops around the next corner is UNBELIEVABLE. Then, I started racing. It takes that high to a whole new level.

I guess what I'm saying is, if you aren't concerned about the "image" factor of a new M3, maybe you should consider picking up an e46 or prior M3 as strictly a track vehicle (like ffej). Keep your current ride for your sporty daily driver. After I started racing, I had no desire to ride fast on the street.

Something to think about. Be careful though, track is addicting.

#46 ·
It's pretty apparent you are a motorsports enthusiast HotIce. I will tell you a quick story about something that happened to me with motorcycles. I bought my first street bike when I was 18. It was $1,000 and was a blast to ride. Six years and a half-dozen bikes later, I bought my first new "sport-bike." I found myself doing lots of street riding that, looking back, was definitely not safe.

Then one day I did a track day. My eyes were opened wider than you could ever imagine. The closeness you have to a machine when you don't have to worry about gravel on the road, pedestrians/deer wandering out in front of you, and cops around the next corner is UNBELIEVABLE. Then, I started racing. It takes that high to a whole new level.

I guess what I'm saying is, if you aren't concerned about the "image" factor of a new M3, maybe you should consider picking up an e46 or prior M3 as strictly a track vehicle (like ffej). Keep your current ride for your sporty daily driver. After I started racing, I had no desire to ride fast on the street.

Something to think about. Be careful though, track is addicting.
And expensive.

I agree that once you get into tracking/racing you tend to lose your desire to drive fast on the street.

But I think HotIce should get an M3 and then drive it to New York and take me for a ride.:rofl:

#47 ·
The "is" should be considered more along the line of a factory BMW Performance car. It will have the same body kit and wheels with some other bits that have not been confirmed yet (exhaust).

#51 ·
Now, I'm intrigued.
If I had a dime for every non-//M BMW, every MB, and every Range Rover sport I saw between E59th and E110th over the 1 year I was there, well....:thumbup:

At least for me, it takes an idiot in a F430 doing 70mph down Park Ave, blowing every red light in sight, to get my attention.

Edit. That did happen, once.....must have been a rental

#52 ·
If I had a dime for every non-//M BMW, every MB, and every Range Rover sport I saw between E59th and E110th over the 1 year I was there, well....:thumbup:

At least for me, it takes an idiot in a F430 doing 70mph down Park Ave, blowing every red light in sight, to get my attention.

Edit. That did happen, once.....must have been a rental

That wasn't a rental. I was on a test drive.:rofl:

CA

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.