BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Panoramic sunroof

3K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  Clivem2 
#1 ·
Does anyone have experience of the panoramic sunroof? It looks large but is quite pricey, I'm having a tough time trying to decide whether to order it. Here in the UK I doubt I'd use a lot but it should let in loads of light, which is good in our dull weather.

BTW, the line up of engines in Europe is entirely different, I'm getting a 3.0 turbo diesel, 0-60 in 6sec, 47mpg, our gallons are larger than the US, so this is more like 39mpg (US) on the freeway.

#2 ·
It is nice to have and will be a good resale value. A lot of folks have had troubles with them leaking due to debris jamming up the drains, but with all the goofy problems I have had with my X3 this is not one of them. I would defintely add this on should I decide to get another one.

We have had some warmer than usual weather lately and it was really nice to have this open with some nice music playing on the ride home the other day. Actually made me happy I had my X3 and not another SAV (which is rare cause I like to gripe a lot ).

#3 ·
I had a car with sunroof... after that I had one without it... you don't want to be without it afterwards!
Driving in a car with sunroof gives you a pleasant feeling noticing light come inside the car. I had a car in Belgium which is no different than UK in terms of rain and cloudy whether... but you still want it.
Specially for the rear passengers, it is a pleasure.
I think if you are trading off with something else, send your thoughts, we may be able to help you with your final decision. But it is worth it i think...

#4 ·
Thanks for the thoughts. I know I want the sunroof....I'm just trying to justify it to myself and not be swayed by our UK weather at the moment, which is better than I had in CA last week. The roof costs £23 per month ($38) on my lease. The car is ordered with a build date in Nov. They may not be able to add the sunroof even this far out as it needs a different bodyshell, if it pushes the built date out I won't go for it, otherwise I will. The car is a fairly typical UK spec as it's an M-Sport, the rest is Sapphire Black, Oyster Nevada, heated seats, aluminum roof rails and window trims, 3.0 diesel turbo.

#6 ·
Orders in Germany are now pushing into Aug-Sept production so I'm not surprised if the UK allocation is back to Nov already.

#8 ·
Wow!!! That's a lot!!!
It is a good thing I didn't buy one in Europe :)
Here in Canada, I ordered mine early April and will receive it end of May... that's probably because they are built in North Carolina...
But I think, it is still worth waiting for it...
good luck.

#9 ·
Sunroofs can be nice but they also break and can be very expensive to fix out of warranty. There are many reports across the lines of sunroof problems, including the leak from stopped up drains (the rears are virtually impossible to access). Aside from the rattles and potential problems of course it is nice to see the sky every now and again. Out here where we have a lot of sun, I never use mine and hope it will just stay operative until I can cycle it once to show the next owner it works!:rofl:

#11 ·
Caveat Emptor. Big glass roof on a first year BMW, if you plan to keep the car for a long time - or if you must have it, do some maintenance about the roof tracks.

#14 ·
mhrir,
I assume the config is kinda different in Canada vs. US
In Canada, all options pretty much come as part of a package.
So there Power tailgate (i assume it is the Automatic Trunk?!) is part of the Executive package.

In Canada, for a 28i, you can go for 3 packages, which I have ordered all of them:

Technology Package which includes:
- BMW on Board Navigation Package
- BMW TeleServices
- BMW assist w/extended Bluetooth

Premium Package:
- Panorama Sunroof
- X-Line Package
- Auto Dimming ext Mirros
- Auto Dimming int Mirrors
- Park Dist Control
- Bi-Xenon headlights with Corona rings

Executive Package:
- Automatic trunk
- Universal Remote Control
- Comfort Access
- Rear View Camera
- HiFi Sound System

And there are some additional features that come standard on Canadian cars which are optional (i think) on the US version such as:
- Heated front seats
- Heated steering wheel
- Multi-function steering wheel
- Dynamic Cruise Control

Clive, sorry for stealing your thread here...

#17 ·
Two things make this hard and very hard!

We don't get leatherette, indeed leather is standard. Also we don't get the 28i. The only engines we get so far are 2.0 diesel turbo 4 pot, and 3.0 diesel turbo 6 pot. Petrol engines have a poor image with 4x4 cars due to poor mileage and high CO2, even if people are happy with my 335i vert, which has really poor mileage and and is only 60kg lighter than an X3.

#19 ·
Hi

Did you get the roof? If you did, good choice :)

I have the similar car to yourself, just over 1100miles now and struggling for 36MPG. Just wondered what you were getting? I'm trying to drive sanely and not flooring it if I can help it, just to test. Although the power is something else :)

Also, are you considering Winter Tyres? Just curious if you did find any prices yet, I've done some digging and looking around 250-300 quid a corner :-/

John

#20 · (Edited)
You're in Manchester? (not manechester? :)) I'm very close to Manchester.

Yes I went for the roof and very, very pleased I did.

Car mileage: 400
Style of drive: Motorway 200 miles, B roads 100 miles , Urban 100 miles
MPG: 32MPG (imperial)

I can tell that after the first 150 miles the economy improved. Still a long was to go but I feel it's improving all the time.

I don't think I'll go for winter tyres. I don't really buy into std tyres being so poor under 7C. Our RAV4 was fine in the snow with std tyres too, at least for the local driving we would need in the snow. If it does snow I just need to be careful. 4WD traction is my main need (coming from an E93 335i).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.