BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

750Li - Tail light tints + vinyl wrap

23K views 45 replies 27 participants last post by  Boing745 
#1 ·
so I havent posted a thread in so long.. my 750 is great so far .. I did decide to tint my windows 20% all around.. so now im determined to tint my tails.. I dont know if i should leave the white strip or tint it all.!! "

I also decided to vinyl wrap all the chrome trim on my car matte black and glossy black.!

#2 ·
You should show us your car now then take an after photo

#3 ·
I've seen the total black out look and don't appreciate it very much. Chrome provides a nice balance to glossy black especially with big lipped wheels. I too will be vinyl taping the chrome trim around the windows just because they have faded so badly. A balance of black with chrome on the wheels, grill, side marker (clear bulb), and tailights provides balance without looking "black ops". The local detail shop will paint the tailight with a black tint which will be much more durable. The number of coatings dictates the darkness so I think a single coat just to darken both lights and the middle strip will look good. I'll update my pic when finished. Good Luck!

#35 ·
i like the "BLACK OPS" look! :D:D:D

I had my lights tinted for one day, the I just peeled them off because I wasn't feeling it. I LLOVE my ALLBLaCK concept but it was too dark back there! Maybe try blacking out the white parts.
And please don't paint it,!your going to have a harder time when the cops pull you over and with tinted tail lights they will eff with you for sure.
take a look at my pics with just the white tinted. looks better in my opinion than tinting the red. Keif has the red tinting and it looks good on his because he has alot of chrome on his car.

anyone have pics of tail lights with the white part tinted instead of the red? I remember seeing someones car like that on the forum but cant figure out who it was

Attachments

#7 ·
okay...after seeing it, I'm getting rid of the red....at least.

#11 ·
love the whole black thing.. but i dont think im ready to lose all my red things in my tail lights. those are one of the major reason that i fell in love with the car. its funny coz when i got a chrysler 300 i love:drive: the whole front of it. but the first time i saw the 745's was seing its rear. and i was like:jawdrop: woah!! what was that?? lol. in a long run ill prolly go for it though..

#14 ·
I had my lights tinted for one day, the I just peeled them off because I wasn't feeling it. I LLOVE my ALLBLaCK concept but it was too dark back there! Maybe try blacking out the white parts.
And please don't paint it,!your going to have a harder time when the cops pull you over and with tinted tail lights they will eff with you for sure.

#16 ·
anyone have pics of tail lights with the white part tinted instead of the red? I remember seeing someones car like that on the forum but cant figure out who it was

#26 · (Edited)
Quarterto8 has the white tinted (painted).
I have the red and the entire middle strip tinted currently (film).

#17 ·
Here's a picture of my tails tinted with vinyl in a "smoke grey" I really like them a lot and trying to decide whether to paint/tint the chrome trunk trim or to untint the reverse lights.

Anyways here's a photo.

#22 ·
the red part of my tails is tinted (left the white uncovered)....but idk, I kinda miss the red lights, but I also remember why I wanted to black it out in the first place..because it sticks out like crazy considering everything else on my car is already either black or white.

I am also thinking about maybe taking off the tint from the red, and putting it on the white.

Still can't decide, it's a hard decision. The car looks great both ways, the tint fits in well with the scheme of the rest of the car and it definitely makes the car more of a head-turner, but without the tint the car looks more elegant and more like a high-end luxury car, not to mention it looks pretty cool with the red...it's just that from like the side u see all black and white then like this patch of red that seems not to fit...but from the back the car looks amazing

whichever choice you make, let me point out to you that probably the best part about tinting your tail lights, is that the LED brake lights stick out much better, since they are lighting up in a black background, so you can see it *dot*dot*dot* like a grid. in the red background they don't stand out as much individually since obviously they are red themselves and they don't stick out of the background

#25 ·
Here's pics of just the white tinted ( not my car). This is the way to go on a black 750. I will eventually do this. Thinking about doing it myself but scared of doing the reverse lights. If anyone has done this please let us know how it went. Also where do you all get your vinyl. I'm about to order some off eBay. Thinking about wrapping all chrome, outside if kidneys, and brushed aluminum on rear. Basically just leaving window trim and grill slats.

http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=349315

#36 ·
I agree that blacking out the rear white section looks good...but if you look at the photo in the pic you can see why they took that picture next to the Audi... it makes the tail lights have the Audi shape and profile. I know that we all get bored with the look of our rides, and always want to fiddle... but the rear of this car is what made heads turn in 02' when it came out and I still think is one of the most trademark touring car features along with "angel eyes" and the LEDs that sit in the lower housing on the new Audis. to each their own of course... but why mess with perfection?:thumbup:

#30 ·
So I say no. Don't do it.

#29 ·
IMO in a braking situation at day or night. I feel that it's harder to see brake / running rear lights when they are tinted. I cant count the times I've almost hit people with tinted rear lights.

It's unsafe in my opinion.

#33 ·
I think that looks like a sack of ballzzzzzz. I would tint the red very light to give it a burgandy look and leave the white not tinted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.