BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Well guys, my worst fear was realized this afternoon... & Update

61K views 352 replies 87 participants last post by  tommydogsdad 
#1 ·
Dealership has no idea where my car is. :thumbup: What a way to end the week. I am so upset I don't even know what say. At what point do I report the car stolen? They are attempting to track it down but how long, if at all, should I wait to get the police involved. Also, couldn't they track the car if it has GPS navigation?

I think i'm gonna go puke now.

#4 ·
Is this at BMW of San Diego? This would make it the second ED car stolen from dealer's lot. :yikes: First one was posted here.

#6 ·
Wow. The worst part is that it's Friday.

They should be able to track the car if you have BMW assist. I'd start that process immediately.

If you have reason to believe it's stolen, I'd go to the police, too. I can't see a downside to their involvement in the process.

I'd also go to BMWNA, and bypass the dealer, just in case they are playing games with you and are withholding information.

#7 ·
Wow. The worst part is that it's Friday.

They should be able to track the car if you have BMW assist. I'd start that process immediately.

If you have reason to believe it's stolen, I'd go to the police, too. I can't see a downside to their involvement in the process.

I'd also go to BMWNA, and bypass the dealer, just in case they are playing games with you and are withholding information.
I am already writing BMWNA. I have no interest in dealing with the dealership. Only reason I would call them if they call me to tell me the car was found.

#8 ·
:dunno: Didn't you post that they found the fob last night and you were picking it up today? :dunno:

WTF happened?:yikes:

#9 ·
Tell us what happened...how the hell did your car get stolen?? And if it really did get stolen, wtf are you doing writing letters?? Call the cops and call BMWNA immediately! Give us the full scoop, and I'm sure we can give you good advice on how to proceed.

#15 ·
They're saying there still trying to find it, maybe just lost somewhere. Not holding my breath. BMWNA will be hearing from me shortly. As far as involving the police..as far as i'm concerned, I bought a product that I never received, plain and simple, so it's up to BMW to make this right and deliver my product. I'm just praying there is a mixup somewhere but at some point, the car is officially gone and I'll have to go file the police report. I really can't believe this is happening. Like a bad dream.

#10 ·
The dealership is Riverside BMW, I believe.

#16 · (Edited)
You're wasting your time with BMWNA. If the car was stolen, there's nothing they can do.
From the sounds of your "can't talk in public" post, you seem to want to sue them or get something out of this.
Wasn't this an ED. If so, you did receive your product. You then entrusted BMWNA to ship it to you, when it got lost.
Sorry for your loss, but cars get stolen all the time. This is a matter for the police and insurance. File the police report to get the ball rolling ASAP. That'll force them to make the claim with their insurance.

#17 ·
+1

#19 ·
To Craigito

Really sorry to hear of what happened. It IS possible that the car has really been misplaced.

We are here to support you - please keep us informed of what the clowns, I mean the dealership, is doing.

#21 ·
I feel for you. I've had a car stolen twice. No fun at all.

#22 ·
I'm sorry. I've had bad dealings with Riverside BMW before, they're POS, IMO.

Maybe the silver lining will be that you can do ED again and drive a loaner in the meantime. However, it looks as though you're only 6 weeks or so from drop off. I didn't get either of my M3's back in SoCal until 7-8 weeks. Are you sure there isn't some misunderstanding and your car is at VPC/en route to the dealer on a truck somewhere?

#25 ·
Craigito, I really hope it all works out for you. You're in my thoughts. That just sucks!

#27 · (Edited)
Dayum has anyone even tried contacting Wagoners Trucking or the VPC for you to check and see if the car was in fact deliverd to the dealership and paperwork signed off?

#31 · (Edited)
I was told they were doing everything possible to track it down. I'm assuming that included both of those. They don't deny the paperwork shows it was delivered. They just can't seem to find anybody who says they saw it. See my updated post herein. The car is now reported stolen.

#28 ·
Update-Stolen ED

Well, stolen as far as i'm concerned..misplaced according to dealership. Just got back from dealership. I had to show up in person w/ police because the stolen vehicle has to be filed by the owner (myself since it was euro delivery and not a car sold to the dealership). Car is now stolen property. Called BMW assist and they are working on it to track via GPS and will contact police directly if they can locate it. I'll let you guys know more when I hear something. Dealership still thinks it was a shipping error. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Keep a good thought and thanks for all your responses. The next step is going to be fun part if the car is not found...insurance..lawyers..oh boy!

Have a good weekend...so where is that coors light :drink:

Oh, and my third car payment shows up in the mail today :thumbdwn:

#29 ·
Wishing for the best, what a mess. I hope you had added the car to your insurance when it hit port.

#36 ·
I hope you had added the car to your insurance when it hit port.
Ridiculous. Why should he file a claim with his own insurance because of BMWs' or the dealership's error??? I'm sure they'd LOVE it if he did. If anything, I wouldn't want to risk my own insurance rates going up.

#30 ·
Hey craigito,
Don't know if you followed the thread on the other fester whose car was also stolen before redelivery. He was able to get a new car at similar cost out of the whole ordeal. Good luck to you.

That other thread is here.

#38 ·
Ahh, no. I seriously doubt your own insurance would pay up when they found out it was already covered by the shipping company. But if you want to start payments early, I'm sure your insurance company will accept them :)

Craigito, you didn't need to insure it early and you're doing the right thing. Good luck.

#37 ·
Call your dealership and BMWNA--let them know you are not going to make any payments on the car until this is resolved to your satisfaction. Inform BMWFS of the situation. I and others who have had redelivery problems have had success in getting BMWNA to make payments until the car shows up. Typically they issue you a check--you pay BMWFS...I agree also about your insurance claim--this is not your responsibility yet, you should not have to even think about calling your insurance carrier...

#44 ·
Sorry about your car. Hope it gets sorted out asap.
Maybe get a lawyer on retainer? For your protection(?). At least consult with one.

#45 ·
Lawyer UP

Bad situation. It will be resolved.

Keep up the pressure and lawyer up. It can't hurt, and if you need one, they will already have been given the case facts. You will probably have tort case, regardless.

Should you and your car get re-united, make certain AT ANOTHER DEALER that everything is functioning properly. Regardless, if the dealer says that they found it on their lot or not.

There has to be a pro bono Bimmer owner in the house to steer you in the right direction.

Hang in there! We're all hoping for quick and positive resolution for you.

#46 ·
this really sucks; sorry about your car. I truly hope it all works out. What is with all these thefts from CA dealers?

#47 ·
why dealers are targets

Soft target - lax or non-existent security - no 'responsibility' for someone else's car - unscrupulous employees perhaps - inventory lapses - readily accessible keys - client's vehicle isn't a security priority - lack of management control - no security cameras - open lots - no system to check vehicles leaving lot - multiple entry/exit points

#48 ·
Sounds like a really lousy situation and terrible service from the dealer. I've been shot down several times on this forum for suggesting that people add their ED cars to their insurance before it hits US soil... this is only one reason that its a good idea.

#59 ·
I'd swear that when my car hit US soil in '04, I got a letter from BMWNA telling me to add it to my insurance.

#49 ·
Seems to me that the one way to get the dealer off the dime is to file the stolen car report with the police at the dealer like you did. That way if they are stalling, you will have their bafflegab on the record with the police and use it in any future action you may want to pursue.;)

Cheers

#51 ·
That's a good point. I am really just trying to be proactive. Hopefully, it is just a shipping mishap but now I can say I did everything I could on my end. In reality, if the car is somewhere in Mexico or in a container going back to China I'd rather not find it and get a new car to repace it just because god knows what happened to it during that time. If it's just sitting in another dealers lot somewhere because of a shipping mishap that's a different story.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.