BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Z3 Gas Gauge no worky after battery replacement

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  vintage42 
#1 ·
Just got home to Minnesota from winter home in Arizona. Decided to fire up my 2000 M Roady and no juice from the battery which has been on a tender all winter. Voltage check indicated bad cells in battery. Replaced battery and after updating the radio code took the car for a little spin. Gas gauge would not work. Looked like it was stuck on 1/8th tank and the low fuel warning light was on. Tank was full. Drove about 20 miles and returned home with the low fuel light on. After doing a search on Bimmerfest went out to garage and removed the negative terminal of the battery, waited 15 seconds and reattached the terminal and wal-la when I turned on the key the tank indicated full and not low fuel light. Thought I would share, though sure many of you are aware of this quick fix. Don't quite understand why it did this in the first place. Gas gauge has always worked just fine.

#2 ·
... Gas gauge would not work. Looked like it was stuck on 1/8th tank and the low fuel warning light was on. Tank was full.... After doing a search on Bimmerfest... removed the negative terminal of the battery, waited 15 seconds and reattached the terminal... quick fix. Don't quite understand why it did this in the first place. Gas gauge has always worked just fine.
According to first item in this thread, the gauge can get stuck when the tank is overfilled:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/foru...el-Gauge-Fixes-Stuck-Low-Fuel-amp-Wacky-Gauge

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.