BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

X5 35d vs. Porsche Cayenne Diesel

130K views 850 replies 74 participants last post by  Pierre Louis 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

what are your thoughts on this match-up? I'm convinced I'm going to buy a Diesel car, now it's a matter of deciding between the 2. I never thought I'd see these 2 cars priced so closely, but hey, thanks Porsche!

Let me know your thoughts,
Dan.

#2 ·
If all things are equal I am taking the Cayenne but they really aren't, a basically equipped Cayenne is approx 68k however a similiar MSRP X5 can be had approx 10-12k less due to
discounts, only you can decide if an extra 10k is worth it as I am sure the discounts on the Cayenne are not there.

#3 ·
Definitely the Porsche.

But seriously, have you priced them both out fully configured with incentives?

#4 ·
Yeah, that's the problem with Porsche ... they have so many options and ways to customize the car that it's just impossible to get a competitive price. After discounts we're looking at a $10-15k delta and that's tough, though I might be willing to do that if it's worth it. Haven't driven the Porsche yet because I know for sure I'll love it, just a matter of loving it enough.

#9 ·
Yeah, that's the problem with Porsche ... they have so many options and ways to customize the car that it's just impossible to get a competitive price. After discounts we're looking at a $10-15k delta and that's tough, though I might be willing to do that if it's worth it. Haven't driven the Porsche yet because I know for sure I'll love it, just a matter of loving it enough.
Yup, the customization is endless.

Another major is how quick do you want the car. You can have a E70 in your garage within a month. The Cayenne is going to harder because it's made in Germany and the TDIs are going to be much rarer than the V6/V8/V8T Cayennes. If it's anything like the Touareg TDI or Q7 TDI, you're looking at a couple months easily.

#5 ·
Cayenne any day. It looks better in my opinion, fuel mileage will probably the same if not better in Porsche, both equally fast, the interior I think it's better in Cayenne, lots of buttons and who does not like lots of buttons etc. plus it is Porsche.
If you're really in between then if I were you I'd wait until the new X5 comes out (late '13? as '14 model? or early '14), compare and decide then. Porsche Diesel won't be available in US probably until late this year or early next year anyway. That's why I personally bought an affordable '09 35d. I'll drive it until 2014 and then decide between the new X5 diesel, Porsche diesel or GL350.

#6 ·
Are you leasing or buying for the long haul? If you are leasing, I'd seriously consider the Cayenne. They are great looking vehicles, and the price difference won't sting as much. If you are buying, then the X5 is hard to beat. It should much more reliable than the Cayenne -- especially since BMW has had a few more years to work out the kinks on the US emissions requirements. As a reference point from the petrol version, Consumer Reports ranks the Cayenne's reliability as worse in class for reliability. Audi, VW, and Porsche seem to consistently end up on the unreliable list (i.e. - expensive repairs). The 35D got average reliability which was better than the 35i actually.

#7 ·
Are you leasing or buying for the long haul? If you are leasing, I'd seriously consider the Cayenne. They are great looking vehicles, and the price difference won't sting as much. If you are buying, then the X5 is hard to beat. It should much more reliable than the Cayenne -- especially since BMW has had a few more years to work out the kinks on the US emissions requirements. As a reference point from the petrol version, Consumer Reports ranks the Cayenne's reliability as worse in class for reliability. Audi, VW, and Porsche seem to consistently end up on the unreliable list (i.e. - expensive repairs). The 35D got average reliability which was better than the 35i actually.
Porsche is consistently at the top for IQS, long term reliability, and build quality. FYI, Audi is ranked higher than BMW for long term reliability in JDPower.

#8 ·
OP, if you are buying, it's not a bad idea to get the BMW. I say this because my X5 was $62k (sold for $54,XXX). A Cayenne TDI priced with the same toys and such was over $70k and the dealer is offering a max of $1k off sticker (even after buying multiple cars from them).

A X5 might be almost $20k less, which is a considerable chunk of change. Next time around, I might swing the extra coin for the Porsche, but the E70 is a fantastic option.

If the Cayenne TDI was around last year, I would be driving a Porsche. People can call me a badge whore, but Porsche does have more brand prestige than BMW and with that comes some ridiculously priced options.

The BMW is basically the second best driving car in its class. I love my E70, but there's just something else about the Cayenne. If you can afford it and are willing to pony up, life is short, enjoy yourself. The Cayenne TDI will be a rare car.

#67 ·
OP, if you are buying, it's not a bad idea to get the BMW. I say this because my X5 was $62k (sold for $54,XXX). A Cayenne TDI priced with the same toys and such was over $70k and the dealer is offering a max of $1k off sticker (even after buying multiple cars from them).

A X5 might be almost $20k less, which is a considerable chunk of change. Next time around, I might swing the extra coin for the Porsche, but the E70 is a fantastic option.

If the Cayenne TDI was around last year, I would be driving a Porsche. People can call me a badge whore, but Porsche does have more brand prestige than BMW and with that comes some ridiculously priced options.

The BMW is basically the second best driving car in its class. I love my E70, but there's just something else about the Cayenne. If you can afford it and are willing to pony up, life is short, enjoy yourself. The Cayenne TDI will be a rare car.
+1

Exactly what he said. :rofl:

- Mike

#14 ·
I'm in the market as the wife is up for another vehicle and looking at the Porsche Cayenne but she prefers the Panamera but of course I am into diesels. I noticed the Porsche is 0-60 in 7.2 s and our X5 is 6.9 but no big deal. I just can't get over the Panamera looks, like a weenie dog 911 but it will be hers.

#36 ·
If you sat in a Cayenne and drove it back to back to the X5 diesel; hands down the Porsche is a clear winner by far!!!!!!

#16 ·
#22 ·
I have the gas powered versions of both the Cayenne and X5. Both are great but if I could choose only one and the $10-12k difference isn't an issue I would choose the Cayenne. Better handling, interior, etc. quality seems to be the same.

For what it's worth, when I investigated the reported issues for new cars you have to understand how they capture the data. They ask people to provide feedback on features when they first buy the car. What seems to have happened to the Cayenne is the just awful memory seat Implementation and people complained (rightfully) about it. There were also lots of complaints about not having a clock. These seemed to push the overall rating down. The rest of the car is rock solid. Porsche did make some software improvements and added a clock to the dash since then. You just need to be careful in generalizing off of any of these surveys.

#39 ·
I have the gas powered versions of both the Cayenne and X5. Both are great but if I could choose only one and the $10-12k difference isn't an issue I would choose the Cayenne. Better handling, interior, etc. quality seems to be the same.
If price difference is not big a deal, nor the unappealing leasing, Cayenne is an ideal DD. Handling, build quality, interior quietness, exhaust note, as well as fit and finish are top notch. Porsche's pricing, IMO, is very misleading, not to mention very little discounts can be had - even for repeated customers.

#23 · (Edited)
If you can restrain yourself with the options and just want the car itself -- the base diesel Cayenne is a great deal, lots of included content that the X5 has as options (leather seats etc.), but you would have to order the car and wait since the dealer will only have "well optioned" -- cars on their floor.:angel: However as others have said, there will be virtually no discounts (certainly no generous "eco credit" on the Porsche) and your out cost will be higher.

#24 ·
I think you have to drive both cars and compare. I am not sure which engine is installed in Porsche diesel, but if it the same engine as e.g. A6 3.0 TDI then I would pass. I had 530d (one turbo) and we had Audi A6 3.0 TDI (one turbo) in my family - BMW was much better engine IMO (more responsive, better sound, better mileage, etc.). IMO 35d is better engine than 30d, so 35d vs. 3.0 TDI...???

Apart from that exterior and interior is also important, but this is personal thing - I like Cayenne exterior, my wife hates it, we do not like the interior...

I like that you can chose independent options with Porsche (as it is possible with BMW in Europe). I do not like to pay more for Porsche just because it is relatively rare to spot (in comparison to X5), but there are people who opt for 20'' tires which need to be replaced much oftener than 18***8217;***8217; or 19***8217;***8217;... not my money, not my business

#26 ·
Yesterday I went out and tested the Cayenne, X5 35d and the X5 35i. Cayenne was great, but the one I want is almost $75k and I'm going to pass. The 35d was nice and all, and I've always loved Diesels, but there was this irritable drone when cruising at 60-80 mph that just got to me. I tested another one right after that to make sure it wasn't a particular issue, but the noise is still there. It's this constant hum that is ALWAYS with you when you're cruising and i do not like that.

I fell in love with the 35i ... there is no throttle delay like my F10, not even close. I did test a brand new one, built March so all good on the software updates and all. The exhaust sound is amazing and it is very quiet at speed. I'm getting a Sport Activity and I'm extremely happy with my choice. I don't think the diesel's additional torque is worth it in daily driving, as the power and torque bands on the gas engine are much better and flatter ... and did I mention the sound? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=302fMErBSgc&feature=channel&list=UL

#33 ·
. The exhaust sound is amazing

... and did I mention the sound?

[insert videos of sound from the car driving by- ie what someone OUTSIDE THE CAR, STANDING ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD would hear]
That sounds awesome.
I'm confused :dunno:
You seemed to provide audio recordings of the exterior sounds of the car as you drove by a pedestrian as evidence of the amazing sound. So I am confused.

:dunno:

#28 ·
I'm on love. Can't wait to get my E70 X5

#29 ·
OMG. People actually buy cars based on what they sound like to OTHER people?!?!?

#30 ·
Huh? OP said the drone was at 60-80MPH....not sure how many OTHER people are hearing it on the highway, so it sounds like it was just annoying to him. Personally, I don't even notice a different sound at highway speeds, and I kind of like the low speed chatter. With that said, the D certainly isn't right for everyone. Congrats on buying your 35i sport....sure you'll love it!

#31 ·
^^ no, no...i am talking about the wife drivebys in the video. :)

#32 ·
I'm confused :dunno:

#34 ·
1) Youtube video not done by me, I googled "bmw x5 35i exhaust"
2) I think it sounds amazing because I think it sounds amazing ... i don't understand what the hell you mean by "pedestrian as evidence of the amazing sound"

#35 · (Edited)
It's a perspective thing...

What sound do you hear inside the vehicle vs. what someone such as a pedestrian would hear from the outside. Since its your vehicle, one can assume that you'll be hearing the inside sound (as the driver or passenger)so the sound outside is somewhat irrelevant.

I test drove a used Boxster last night. The sound with the top up vs down was quite a bit different... Convertibles being one of the few types of vehicles where you can 'modulate' the sound entering the cabin. I suppose one could drive with the X5's hatch open. :)

#49 · (Edited)
David, the Cayenne Turbo ($104K) is more than the X5M ($85K) but the new GTS should be slightly less coin than the "M" -- a bargain!:rofl: Porsche does what Porsche does because they can. The customers line up and the stores sell everything they get their hands on. The resale reflects this too. I am not ashamed to admit I lust for a Cayenne (or any other Porsche) in my heart (a la Jimmy C.) and will probably get one when the new diesels come out.:D

#51 · (Edited)
Lightly optioned GTS is around 95k. I don't know that I ever saw a Turbo for less than 125k. Base prices are not very meaningful with Porsche. Makes BMW look like a bargain. I see some inventory building for Panamera but it appears Cayennes are still selling like hot cakes in my neighborhood. GTS' seem more rare than Turbos, for both Panamera and Cayenne.

#55 ·
me too

Nice car as is the GTS and the diesel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.