Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X5 M, X6 M, Z3 M & Z4 M > F85 X5 M and F86 X6 M (2016 - Current)

F85 X5 M and F86 X6 M (2016 - Current)
The BMW X5 M and X6 M are high-performance derivative of the X5 and X6. Introduced at the 2014 LA Auto Show and appearing in dealerships in 2015. Both modeles are powered by BMW's S63tu twin turbo charged V8 making 567 HP and 553 lb-ft of torque, the most power for any BMW xDrive vehicle.

Old 02-27-2016, 11:24 PM

Mein Auto: X6M 2016
New X6M owner question

I just bought my first BMW the 2016 X6M.
I love the speed of the car and the handling.
But my only issue is as a daily driver car I have to commute on uneven roads, and that's when the stiff suspension and head toss start being uncomfortable even on comfort mode.

Is there anything I can do to make the ride smoother?
Advertisement
Old 02-28-2016, 04:34 AM

Mein Auto: '16 X6 ///M
Congrats. Too late to say you should have got a 50i, it has a cushier ride.

Do you have 21 or 20 inch wheels? The 20s will have a better ride.

Good luck.
Old 02-28-2016, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx5go View Post
Congrats. Too late to say you should have got a 50i, it has a cushier ride.

Do you have 21 or 20 inch wheels? The 20s will have a better ride.

Good luck.
I do have the 21 inch wheels maybe i should get the 20s.

the 50i was out of the question for me, the aggressive look and the engine is what got me to get the X6m, my other option would have been the GLE 63s but I love how the X6M looks much more than the GLE.

I am starting to get used to the ride, I had a 2014 range rover sport previously which was pretty smooth in comparison, and the car rides as good on the highway, my only problem is uneven roads that i take to work.

Thanks!
Old 02-29-2016, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louzy View Post
I do have the 21 inch wheels maybe i should get the 20s.

the 50i was out of the question for me, the aggressive look and the engine is what got me to get the X6m, my other option would have been the GLE 63s but I love how the X6M looks much more than the GLE.

I am starting to get used to the ride, I had a 2014 range rover sport previously which was pretty smooth in comparison, and the car rides as good on the highway, my only problem is uneven roads that i take to work.

Thanks!
I hope you get used to it. It's funny, I live in NY and work in NJ. The roads are terrible. I never drive in comfort, always sport. I do have 20s though. Maybe you can find a dealer with an M on the lot with 20s and take it for a spin before investing in a set.
Old 02-29-2016, 06:18 AM

Quote:
I hope you get used to it. It's funny, I live in NY and work in NJ. The roads are terrible. I never drive in comfort, always sport. I do have 20s though. Maybe you can find a dealer with an M on the lot with 20s and take it for a spin before investing in a set.
The roads in NYC are much worse than the roads I drive in, that's interesting. maybe it's a car defect that i have?

I'll look around for 20s.

Thanks again, plenty of help
Old 02-29-2016, 06:40 AM
Supporting Bimmerfest

Mein Auto: 550i F07
I believe the X6M only comes with 21' wheels. Awesome looking 21' wheels at that. Changing over to 20' M wheels will most certainly help,, as you're increasing tire sidewall height to compensate for the wheel change which in turn will cushion the ride more, but the only way to know is to try before you buy. Also, I couldn't imagine or visualize anything but 21' wheels looking the part on such a large car.

I came very close to pulling the plug on a 2015 X6M very early this year and two things finally pulled me away at the very last minute. 24HRS from signing. I drove it for several days prior.

First is exactly what you described. Regardless of driving mode, vehicle's ride comfort on uneven roads was unbearable. Putting it into Sport mode made it even worse. On the open run it was [absolutely] awesome. But hit some rough back or city roads and the bopping and jarring was a PITA. Playing with suspension setting had next to no effect on ride comfort on the roads mentioned.

Second was the clearly evident and obvious blind spots on the vehicle. I could certainly live with that if the suspension wasn't so annoying. The ride comfort on city roads was the ultimate deal breaker. Sadly.

Everything else about the vehicle left me breathless. Everything.
Old 02-29-2016, 06:41 AM
Supporting Bimmerfest

Oh, and no it's not a defect in your particular vehicle.

At least as far as my experience was near identical to what you've described.

Safe driving.
Old 02-29-2016, 08:14 AM

The X6 M comes standard with 21s or the 20s as a no cost option. The 20s are also more forgiving as far as blow outs. Those low profile tires and the bad roads don't play nice.

As far as the blind spots, you get used to them. This is my 3rd X6, 4th if you count the '16 50i I had for a few months before trading it for the M. I do wish the side mirrors were larger like those on the previous generation.
Old 02-29-2016, 08:19 PM
Supporting Bimmerfest

Quote:
The X6 M comes standard with 21s or the 20s as a no cost option. The 20s are also more forgiving as far as blow outs. Those low profile tires and the bad roads don't play nice.

As far as the blind spots, you get used to them. This is my 3rd X6, 4th if you count the '16 50i I had for a few months before trading it for the M. I do wish the side mirrors were larger like those on the previous generation.
Yeah, I actually started to adapt to the blind spots pretty well by the time I returned the car. They were there, but

I just couldn't get over the ride's jitteriness on not-so-smooth roads regardless of how hard I tried.

Never noticed an issue with the side mirrors.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:55 PM

So I tried driving a bunch of sport cars (GTR, Maserati,Audi s3) and realized the x6m is actually a blessing.

I think my issue was that am just used to SUV like the Range Rover sport, and wasn't comparing this car to sport cars, which relative to its performance that's what it should be compare to.
Old 03-05-2016, 04:03 AM

Quote:
So I tried driving a bunch of sport cars (GTR, Maserati,Audi s3) and realized the x6m is actually a blessing.

I think my issue was that am just used to SUV like the Range Rover sport, and wasn't comparing this car to sport cars, which relative to its performance that's what it should be compare to.
Glad you are adapting. I like to feel the road and hate that cushy floaty ride you get from say a Lexus or MB. Never drove the RR
Old 03-15-2016, 07:07 AM

Mein Auto: M5, Cayenne Turbo, S600
I am selling the M Sport Style 300 20" wheels with Bridgestone runflats off my 2014 X6M, ironically I put 21" wheels from a 2015 X6M on my car. The wheels and tires came off my car with 2000 miles on them, they are in excellent condition and I have them listed in the classified ads here.
Old 01-22-2017, 03:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to jettie1767 Send a message via Yahoo to jettie1767
Mein Auto: 2012 BMW M6
I actually find the ride of the X6M very smooth compared to my M4. Although, I have to say that after owning several M cars the last few years, you won't get soft/cushy rides on any of them.

'18 BMW 530e xdrive Black Sapphire Metallic
'17 BMW X6M Melbourne Red
'17 Toyota Prius Prime Plus Millenium Silver
Old 01-22-2017, 04:01 PM

Mein Auto: X6 M
Quote:
I just bought my first BMW the 2016 X6M.
I love the speed of the car and the handling.
But my only issue is as a daily driver car I have to commute on uneven roads, and that's when the stiff suspension and head toss start being uncomfortable even on comfort mode.

Is there anything I can do to make the ride smoother?
Less tire pressure, but that will increase wear. Alternate route?
2015 Lexus RCF
2013 Audi RS5
2011 Lexus ISF
Old 01-29-2017, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSOTf View Post
Less tire pressure, but that will increase wear. Alternate route?
I ended up getting a GLE 63s, much better ride all around ,comfier seats and Mercedes is looked up as a more luxurious brand where I live (more respect on the road).

Though the X6M was more fun to drive.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:25 AM

Mein Auto: X6 M
Reviews are one thing, but at the end of the day you go with what makes you happy. Doubt you could go wrong with either vehicle - both are fantastic!
2015 Lexus RCF
2013 Audi RS5
2011 Lexus ISF
Old 06-13-2017, 09:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X6M
I love the rough ride. It's my excuse to never let hubby or my teen son drive as it makes me carsick to be a passenger. The shaken brain syndrome and carsickness factor for my passengers is my excuse to drive it alone. Then they don't know how fast I go. ;-P

I agree on the blind spots - both how big they are and then how you learn to compensate with time. (Luckily they built in the extra horsepower for this issue. Can't see if someone is in your blind spot when you want to switch lanes? You just step on the gas and blast ahead to a more open area! Problem solved and you're welcome for saving you the trouble of looking up the solution in your manual). The rear view cameras and sensors are essential.

More annoying to me is the incredibly faint blinker setup. The lever is soft, there's no hard 'click' to let you know you engaged the blinker. It's really easy to turn off your left blinker and inadvertently activate the right one. I'm fairly short and when everything is adjusted to where I have best visibility, the steering wheel or dash flare completely obscure the turn signal lights in my console. This could all be solved by turn flashers in the mirrors. If BMW ever makes ones I can switch out on this 2011, I'd be in.

Also, the non-adjustable seat belt height is a bummer for vertically challenged people. Do newer models have adjustable-height seat belts? I raise the seat to its maximum height and optimal angle and the seat belt still lays against my neck. Which probably wouldn't be such a problem if it wasn't always locking up. I dunno, there seems to be some malfunction in an obscure circuit between the gas pedal and the seat belt. Gas pedal appears to be extra heavy and when it goes down a certain distance, seat belt locks up. So far, it's a problem I can live with. :-)
Old 06-13-2017, 04:19 PM

Mein Auto: 12 550xi
I do not find the ride rough in Comfort mode with the correct tire pressure, when in Sport it firms up......to be quite honest the ride is perfect, better than my previous car, an M550xi with the same Comfort-Sport settings.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:36 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Glacier Silver X4 M40i
Being in an X4, I am surprised to hear you folks complaining about blind spots. There are no blind spots in the X4 - at least not if you bother to adjust the exterior mirrors correctly.

Hers: 2007 X3 3.0Si
Old 06-18-2017, 07:54 AM

BimmerGotBack - you don't have to press the stalk all the way. If you're changing lanes, you can do a soft press, which will blink but not "engage" the blinker. I'm a two blink kind of girl. You can also set in idrive to blink three times then shut.
Old 06-18-2017, 01:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X6M
Sweet! I didn't know there was a setting for it, thanks!
Old 06-19-2017, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBU View Post
Being in an X4, I am surprised to hear you folks complaining about blind spots. There are no blind spots in the X4 - at least not if you bother to adjust the exterior mirrors correctly.
The previous generation took getting used to. The rear visibility was tough. I'm always panning all the mirrors and keeping track of where all the players on the chess board of driving are located. I properly adjust the mirrors, and I had spots on the side views. You could easily loose someone following them from behind you to the side. You wouldn't have the same experience in the X4 as the rear has been modified. The X4 never had that big high rear and small rear window. The current generation is a lot better.

Last edited by cmyx5go; 06-19-2017 at 07:34 AM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X5 M, X6 M, Z3 M & Z4 M > F85 X5 M and F86 X6 M (2016 - Current)
Today's Posts Search