BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

iDrive controller trim bubbling

12K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  jasondomina1 
#1 ·
I only have 6k miles left on my new car warranty. As you can see, the silver trim on my iDrive controller is peeling off. Will BMW cover the replacement for this under warranty? The start button is starting to peel as well. It's bad enough that people ask "What did you do to the start button?" when they ride in my car. :(

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
IMO they absolutely should! You know that iDrive trim is just going to peel up all the way in a couple months. Same thing happened to my start button. The dealer wouldn't replace mine, but told me they would do the install for free. So I bought the button on line for $60. I did later find out that it only takes like 10 min to do it. You should definitely ask though as this is obviously a defect.

#4 ·
Bummer. :(

The iDrive controllers are pretty expensive. It's certaintly going to get worse, the finish is already coming up, I just refuse to touch it.

The start button is cheap but I think the controller is 500-700 dollars.

I've seen enough bimmers to say that it is very common. The salt in your naturally occurring sweat is the cause. Common for the start button too. You've been giving rides to some extremely intimidating ladies? :)
LOL! I bought the car a few months ago from a BMW dealer. The previous owner probably used some really harmful hand moisturizer or something.

Well. I guess I'll just have to live with it being ugly for now. =(

#3 ·
I've seen enough bimmers to say that it is very common. The salt in your naturally occurring sweat is the cause. Common for the start button too. You've been giving rides to some extremely intimidating ladies? :)

#5 ·
You should at least run it by them. The dealers have surprised me in the past.
It's also interesting how attuned we are to the slightest imperfections.

#6 ·
BMW owners demand perfection. :p

I'll ask them. It's something that looks like a defect so they should cover it. I can understand the start button, but this isn't something that gets touched and is chipping from the edge.

#9 ·
My car is in for service now, the service advisor wrote down my issue, however when he spoke to the manager, the manager said it is not something covered under warranty as it is normal "wear and tear". (not something I'd expect would happen to a bmw but what else can I say)

On a side note, I hit my cupholder with my knee and it cracked (also something not covered under warranty. I am ok with that because I know I did it). Neither is the rear tow hook bumper cover which seemed to have gone missing, or the lower drivers side bumper mesh which cracked, or mudflap which has fallen off. :thumbdwn:

#11 ·
I was ok with the rear tow cap, front bumper grille and cup holder and I guess the mudflap not covered which is why I already purchased them, but as for the idrive button metal trim peeling seems like a defect to me,

I didn't bother going to service until the weather got a bit better outside, and makes me a little jealous when I hear how many things get replaced in the states. :thumbdwn:

#14 · (Edited)
[T]he idrive button metal trim peeling seems like a defect to me ... makes me a little jealous when I hear how many things get replaced in the states.
I agree, even though plated plastic (it's not solid metal, as you can see) is not the most durable stuff. In your shoes, I wouldn't quit after just one rejection. Maybe ask the dealer to escalate it to their regional representative, or ask BMW NA (BMW Canada?) to investigate, specifically asking for a second opinion. Is there another dealer near enough to you to visit?

I am not familiar with the warranty terms in Canada...it all hinges on that, of course. There's little more to say if it's less comprehensive than the US version. :(

Boy this is more trouble than a moose on the interstate.
It is despicable that you fail to mention it will also depend on the current mental state of being of the service manager. As well as how long ago have you brushed your teeth last?
I think I'd rather deal with the problem myself then get my knee pads out for the great overlords of the service department.
When it comes to wear & cosmetic items, we're at the fringe of the warranty and it can go either way. It's not about sucking up, it's basic negotiation, namely to get someone to agree that the situation is not normal. If you were the one who would eat an $800+ repair, if you were refused reimbursement for a cosmetic defect most people wouldn't even notice, wouldn't you think twice before agreeing?

But yes, I've shrugged off a handful of small complaints over the years in order to not be perceived as a jerk. On the rare occasions I press a complaint, they know I mean it. That goes a long way toward taking knee pads out of the equation. ;)

I went in their with a list of things that are not right with the car, if they fixed it great... if not oh well...business is business and I wasn't going to argue over these things.
The dealership I go to changed its staff so many times it was nearly impossible to make a connection with anyone either
That's a good attitude for the long haul. :thumbup: It's a shame you can't really become a familiar face to anyone, though...that's pure gold.

#13 · (Edited)
agreed for which most of the matter I didn't bother with because it wasn't my main concern for my service visit anyways, they are mainly minor cosmetic issues that can easily be fixed.

I went in there with a list of things that are not right with the car, if they fixed it great... if not oh well...business is business and I wasn't going to argue over these things.
The dealership I go to changed its staff so many times it was nearly impossible to make a connection with anyone either

#15 ·
TSB for trim

I believe there is now a technical service bulletin related to the idrive trim issue. I found mention of it on the eautorepair.net website. Here is the link https://www.eautorepair.net/app/TSBS_ALL.asp?S0=16384&S1=0&SG=NewUser&YR=2011&MK=124&MD=7140&SM=0&MKN=BMW&MDN=335xi&PS=2&MA=15

the bulletin number is "65 02 15".

Does anybody have any insight into the contents of this bulletin? I have tried scouring the internet for an answer but couldn't find one, most people say you can only access this Technical Service Bulletin by paying a fee because these types of bulletins aren't public knowledge.

#16 ·
I believe there is now a technical service bulletin related to the idrive trim issue. I found mention of it on the eautorepair.net website. Here is the link https://www.eautorepair.net/app/TSBS_ALL.asp?S0=16384&S1=0&SG=NewUser&YR=2011&MK=124&MD=7140&SM=0&MKN=BMW&MDN=335xi&PS=2&MA=15

the bulletin number is "65 02 15".

Does anybody have any insight into the contents of this bulletin? I have tried scouring the internet for an answer but couldn't find one, most people say you can only access this Technical Service Bulletin by paying a fee because these types of bulletins aren't public knowledge.
BMW probably replaces it, with another, new piece of cheap tin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.