BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

The Paparazzi just won't leave me alone!

4K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  Capobranco 
#1 ·
They're always hiding in bushes, behind bridges, or driving around in inconspicuous vans in hope of snapping a pic of the elusive DINAN5 zooming past. :rofl:

Vehicle Car Mid-size car Personal luxury car Full-size car

Despite the low quality, the 550 still looks good. ;)

See less See more
#2 ·
Bummer man. Is that ticket similar to the total joke workzone tickets? You know the ones that are like $35 and no points?

I have a nice one like that of my Volvo going through the tunnel in DC. Who knew the limit was 45....

#3 ·
Bummer man. Is that ticket similar to the total joke workzone tickets? You know the ones that are like $35 and no points?

I have a nice one like that of my Volvo going through the tunnel in DC. Who knew the limit was 45....
They put them in most of the school zones around here, but this one was in front of a fire house. It's only $40, so no big deal.

It's funny you said "who knew," I got one in DC doing 57 in a 35. I was in bit of disbelief, since I was driving on a six lane Interstate highway at the time. Seriously, 35mph on an Interstate? :rolleyes:

#5 · (Edited)
You need to watch out for the mobile speed camera vehicles ( usually white jeep liberty or white vans with cameras mounted on the bumpers ) They are all over I 95 in Md , usually from the stretch of I 95 and I 695 before the tunnel and then after Baltimore before the 495 Beltway. You will see the signs when approaching these areas.

#6 ·
That picture looks oddly familiar. I've had a couple of those in the past, mostly in PG County from the mobile speed traps they set up.

There are a few work zones in DC that have cameras. They're cleverly hidden. Fortunately I realized it at the last second and slammed on the brakes. That might be the 35 MPH ticket you got.

I've yet to encounter a speed camera in SF. But we do have lots of red light cameras.

#9 ·
This pic was up in Howard County. The DC pic was on Interstate 395 by a mobile van, which was speeding itself according to the data the pic. The 35mph zone is permanent and there's a fixed camera in that area, but everyone slams on the brakes right before they reach the camera.

#7 ·
My system provides advanced warning of these cameras thanks to a weekly updated national database of traffic cameras and a GPS sensor to figure out when you are approaching one.

#10 ·
The fixed camera locations are pretty well known, but the mobile cameras are a whole other story. The white Jeep in construction zones is recognizable, but whenever I see a white van, I slowdown and check out the driver and the front of the van: they've reached Crown Vic status for me. :eek:

#8 ·
Traffic Court Judge: How do you plead?

Laser: Not guilty your honor

Judge: But we have a picture of your car going through the red light

Laser: Yes sir but I was not driving it

Judge: Well who was?

Laser: I don't know your honor, I was not

Judge: Was your car stolen?

Laser: No your honor

Judge: Well, who was driving your car?

Laser: I don't know your honor ..... its my wife's car she drives it (counting on fingers) ..... but we gave it to our daughter ..... sometimes her boyfriend drives it ..... uh, she has a new boyfriend .........

Judge: (looking disgusted) Case dismissed!

#11 ·
You found a judge with a teenage daughter. :rofl:

#13 ·
In DC they are recognizable by the stripes on the ground.

#19 ·
Big Brother gone wild...

I agree, fixed locations offer few problems - even the movable boxes on the side of the road can be anticipated and spotted given a sharp eye and quick reflexes - in Montgomery County, MD, speed cameras can only be located on roads that are clearly marked Photo Enforced". During day light hours you can usually see the obvious hiding locations v. open stretches where it is difficult to conceal cameras.

In general, cameras proliferate in my area , and I find that I drive with a heightened sense of awareness - looking for hidden camera threats on the side of the road and keeping an eye on my rear, hoping the guy following me has reflexes as good as mine, and brakes as good as my M.

More insidious, just experienced last night in the Potomac area, is the new tactic of hiding a second camera 50 yards past a more obviously placed box that one first encounters.....pure evil

In neighboring Prince Georges County, Md, the County has now resorted to placing cameras on the cameras - seems many are so perturbed by Big Brother that they are using the lenses of the speed cameras as bulls' eyes for target practice.

Soon we will have cameras that watch cameras that watch cameras.....

But of course, all of this is in the name of public safety.....I should note, I read a couple of days ago in the Washington Post, that DC has a $130 million dollar budget surplus - DC collected $65 million in speed photo fines - you can draw your own conclusion.

I have no problem with speeds cameras for school zones, hospitals, active work zones, but the cat and mouse game of placing cameras on roads where the average speed is considerably higher than the posted speed, and calling it public safety is insulting and offensive. The manner that speed cameras are being deployed constitutes a scheme to raise revenue. Politicians implicitly understand the inherent beauty of this scheme - the public coffers are replenished under the guise of public safety and politicians do not have to admit to raising taxes. (Some counties place restrictions on how the revenue can be spent - but this is a contentious ruse).

Call speed camera enforcement what it is - A TAX - and a very REGRESSIVE TAX - that hurts the financially stressed far more than more affluent persons - despicable given the wealth of the DC area.

#20 · (Edited)
Capo got it right another time.
The governemantal tax collection on fixed cameras is just as it is, only a small extra cost for owning a nice car.
Being trapped by patrolling cops at high speed is a real problem, even Stealth has a problem with those I am sure.
Fines and other penalties are somewhat nasty at being pulled over at speeds more than 30 miles over the limit.
You loose your license for a while have to be in court probably and will be paying a couple of full tanks of petrol for sure.
That is Europe for you...
Fixed traps really are not the problem, lasers just after a known speedtrap are.
Do not ask me how I know it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.