BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Pics - E91 Installed Curt Hitch (C11771)

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Pilgrim 
#1 · (Edited)
Finally got around to it and installed the Curt Hitch (C11771) on my wife's E91XiT.
http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Curt/C11771.html. I believe there are other applications of the E90 series that Curt offers.

We have an OEM roof rack for Thule box on her wagon and we needed a location for 2 bikes so the hitch was the way to go for a secured transport. I had plans to get http://www.seasucker.com for both of my Porsches Turbo and 4S but after reading a couple of threads, they did not recommend it. So we decided to put a hitch on my wife's wagon. Why the Porsches? Well I didn't want to rely on my wife's wagon every time I wanted to carry my bikes and I switch between the two as daily drivers. Oh well, this should be fine. :) It will encourage us to ride together more often. The new 991 has better accessories for roof rack's so I might explore that when the time comes (sssshhh don't tell the wife)

The installation steps wasn't too bad BUT make sure you have the proper tools (via instructions that came along with it). The biggest PAIN and what took nearly an hour is unbolting and bolting the screws from the bumper. There is absolutely no room so you need a proper wrench set that are a couple sizes bigger and smaller than 5/8's.
I put the car up on a slight incline driveway so I can get underneath the car a little easier. If you can, have the car lifted for easier access. Otherwise, get ready for some ground lovin'

Overall the Curt hitch is PERFECT - strong, practical and nearly invisible.
Highly recommend it!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I know this is an old thread, but wanted to thank Mark 12345 for posting with pictures. I just bought a 2008 E91 and there's a trailer hitch in its future. The Curt looks like a good prospect, and I was really interested in seeing if the rear fascia needed to be trimmed - something I want to avoid. This is very helpful. (I also figured I'd provide another search hit for "E91 trailer hitch.")

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.