BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

A bit of needed info

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  downhiller 
#1 ·
She shifts up perfect nice and smooth.
She downshifts nice and smooth.Until
First gear it shifts sorta rough its first and only first, and on downshift , ideas?

Is 20w 50 really good down to 0F? My car had its first winter today it was 30 outside and she ran stiff for the first little bit until she warmed up.

It is hard to keep the car up to temp as 30 degree winds flowing over the radiator seems to remove so much heat so fast.

Also at cold temp my car idle higher is that relevant.?

Wicked Fast Entertainment

#2 ·
Sounds like your Sychro's could be worn out, but your running 20w50 in your trans?

The higher idle is probably from the cold start valve. Kinda like a mini injector, but they normally kick off after 10 seconds. Have you checked for vacuum leaks?

My 85' kinda takes a while to warm up too, you could always get a colder thermostat so it opens up earlier.

#4 ·
run a lighter weight oil during the cooler months. i ran 20w50 in the summer and 15w40 in the winter.

if it takes a long time to warm up the car, throw in a higher temp t stat durning the winter as well, but run a lower during the summer.

and the higher idle is based off the o2 sensor, ecu reading of water temps, and few other measurements. basically the ecu is trying to get the motor to op temp quicker.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.