BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Can I replace the Reversing Camera?

11K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  daders 
#1 ·
Hi Folks,

I've become the proud owner of a 2009 xDrive50i X6 ... and what a car it is to drive. Really puts a smile on your face.

That said, there are a few times when it wipes the smile off my face ... and one of them is when i put it into reverse, particularly at night. I've had a Lexus for a few years (and still have it), and while its a few years older than the X6, it has a *much* better reversing camera.

I got around to wondering whether there was a means of removing the standard camera and fitting a replacement that (1) has better resolution and (2) works at night. I've done a bit of a search and it seems that what is available are units that are meant for cars that don't have the camera as standard.

Has anyone had a go at trying to replace just the camera..? If so, I'd be curious to hear any suggestions that folks would have as to how to go about this!

Cheers,
David

#2 ·
I also had a lexus rx350 before the X5 and the camera was perfect at night... mine was a 2009 and the x5 2011 that i have has horrible night camera... what were they thinking ...

I would love to replace it with a unit worth more than 50 cents that comes with the bmw.. shame on bmw on that one..

#3 ·
Hi Philooo

I would love to replace it with a unit worth more than 50 cents that comes with the bmw..
And thanks the shame of it all - these are such cheap things to get something of sufficient quality. I don't for a minute believe that Lexus manufacture their own camera, they just go get someone else to make a commodity item to their specs at the right price ... and I'd bet my left t*** that BMW know how to do this just as well as (or better than) Lexus. :mad:

I wish it was something I could go to BMW and say "Hey, I know the original is cr*p, so how much for a replacement unit?". Was hoping that someone else had already had a go at achieving this on their own!

Cheers,
David

#6 ·
Hi Johnnyc51,

For my part, it doesn't appear that this is adjustable in my version of iDrive. I was pretty sure that I checked out every single menu option (and I'm the kind of guy who reads the manual), but I didn't recall seeing this. Anyway, I checked and its not outlined in the manual and I've been unable to find it in my menu structure :cry:

Maybe BMW got smart and put the ability to adjust the contrast into later iDrive versions..?

And it'd be great if there was an after market solution that where you just unplug the standard camera and replug a new camera ... Santa, where are you..? :bigpimp:

#5 · (Edited)
Yes I have played with the contrast and luminosity, but with my Lexus RX350, the backup camera at night was prefect, crisp and colors where spot on...
While with the X5, the night backup camera feels like a $20 kid toy ! You just can't trust it.

BMW need to buy a couple of lexus RX and learn from it... Lexus has so many better features and most of them are NOT optional !!!!

On the other hand... the Lexus will make you fall asleep at the wheel...boooring ...

#11 ·
Here you go , night pics...

total utter crap compared to my lexus rx350 where I could see as good as in day time.

BMW cheaping out on a safety item.. not good!

Attachments

#12 ·
That looks like a scene (dark, rainy night) right before an ax murderer gets in your back seat and dices you...don't answer the phone, don't open the door and for Pete's sake don't get out of the car!! Glad you posted photos as I'm comparing X6 vs 5GT and like to know what to expect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.