BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

BMW bike rack - better late than never

4K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Ozer 
#1 · (Edited)
After 6 years of ownership, I finally picked up a rack on kijiji (kinda like a Canadian craigslist, but better)

For my heavy family cruisers, it make it easy to load.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Spoke

See less See more
#2 ·
Sweet! Im trying to get one of those currently. Never seen one mounted before so thanks for this pic.
Looks like you can still use the hitch and the gate can be folded down if the bikes arent there?
Can you post more pics w/o the bikes and gate open?

#9 ·
I've been looking around to purchase one of these sight unseen...one question:

Is there a locking mechanism for the bikes on the rack? I know a lot of them can be defeated by a determined thief, but is there some type of deterrent?

#10 · (Edited)
The bikes on the rack are secured by a toughened plastic clamp that unlocks with a key. That clamp attaches to the top tube. The same key is used to lock the cover for the bolt which attaches the rack to the bumper. Obviously this is more of a deterrent. I would not leave the bikes on the rack for extended periods unattended, a determined thief will find a way to bypass the security.

#12 ·
Thought I saw the other day that BMW was running an offer on bike carrier accessories, it might be via rebate. Dont know if it was like the promo they ran this winter on hitches and other accessories which was only for F15's.

#13 ·
I was trying to figure out how it was held in place... found a photo...plugs right into the tow hitch eyes, which is covered by a small removable plastic panel in the bumper.

#14 · (Edited)
I bought it used from another X5 forum member a few summers ago and it has been great... it attaches to the eyelets in the bumper in literally 1 minute if you have a ratchet tool. It's extremely sturdy and visually good quality. The only negative for me is that obviously it only holds 2 bikes and we bike with the kids. For now, their bikes fit in the trunk...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.