BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Crashed my car!!!!!

15K views 129 replies 58 participants last post by  bertbert2oo6 
#1 · (Edited)
My first crash ever - in 26 years of driving - and it was my stupid fault - technically anyway.

But he could have avoided me - plenty of room - if he had looking - and a congested intersection with a truck blocking part of it - and he was flying - and on his cell.
But - still my fault - technically:mad:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
awww man that blows. I hope you are alright. cell phone talkers piss me off:mad: How bad is the damage? How did she do? Best of luck getting her fixed and all the BS that goes along with that. Once again I hope you are alright; cars can be fixed. Best of luck!:thumbup:

#3 ·
Looks like the truck had minor damage and the 3er folded right up. At least you are okay.

Did the airbag deploy? If so, did only the drivers bag deploy (no one else in the car)? I've always wondered if the seat monitor works where the passenger airbag doesn't deploy unless enough weight is in the seat.

#4 · (Edited)
:mad: No - no airbag - I guess it was't really head on - interesting.

It is pretty substantial - I think at least the right rail (not sure if that's the word) may be bent.

I'm guessing $10k +

You can see where he hit. If he had been concentrating - a slight turn of the wheel to the right and he would have missed - there was plenty of room.

#5 ·
Wow, as long as you are ok, the car is there to protect you.

Also, just keep the "it was my fault" here amongst friends :)

#6 ·
Jspira said:
Wow, as long as you are ok, the car is there to protect you.

Also, just keep the "it was my fault" here amongst friends :)
Yeh - I know.

#8 ·
MrAirbags said:
Sorry to hear about that......but I think your $10K estimate is LOW based on that damage.
I was just guessing - I don't really have any idea.

I'm glad I leased ;)

#9 ·
turpiwa said:
My first crash ever - in 26 years of driving - and it was my stupid fault - technically anyway.

But he could have avoided me - plenty of room - if he had looking - and a congested intersection with a truck blocking part of it - and he was flying - and on his cell.
But - still my fault - technically:mad:
I'd still tell the insurance co. all those facts. While they may have to rely on some presumption (like you had a stop sign; he was on the right), those don't always work. For example, failure to pay attention could contribute to fault. Obviously you can get the cell phone records if need be.

Why is it, BTW, that the folks on cell phones always seem to cause accidents but never get banged up themselves? I've had to swerve/stop/etc. so many times because of airhead cellphoners i've lost count. It's really a plague that, unfortunately has gotten too far out of hand ever to do anything serious about.

#10 ·
Sorry to see this happened.

FYI the accident I had with my E46 330 [appears to have] had less damage and the repair bill came to ~$13K. Are there any fluids leaking? That could indicate motor damage.

Weird that the airbag didn't deploy, I guess the energy of the impact was too much perpendicular to the direction of travel for the sensor to cause it to deplay. Anyhow glad you came out of it okay.

--SONET

#11 ·
MrAirbags said:
Sorry to hear about that......but I think your $10K estimate is LOW based on that damage.
Yeah, no kidding. That could be a total. Not that I'm an expert, but my wife's wagon (Volvo) got rear-ended recently. Didn't look bad at first, just a messed and dislodged bumper, and a minor ding in the rear door. Well, they started taking it apart, and the whole rear door frame had gotten bent, and the bumper, etc. etc. Ended up over $6k.

One thing good came out of it--by the miracle of rebadging, her 2.5T turned into a T5!. Hope that's not too pimp.

#12 ·
SONET said:
Sorry to see this happened.

FYI the accident I had with my E46 330 [appears to have] had less damage and the repair bill came to ~$13K. Are there any fluids leaking? That could indicate motor damage.

Weird that the airbag didn't deploy, I guess the energy of the impact was too much perpendicular to the direction of travel for the sensor to cause it to deplay. Anyhow glad you came out of it okay.

--SONET
Yes - all the cooling fluid leaked - the fan went through the radiator.
The motor still ran - I drove it off the road.

#13 ·
Tanning machine said:
Yeah, no kidding. That could be a total. Not that I'm an expert, but my wife's wagon (Volvo) got rear-ended recently. Didn't look bad at first, just a messed and dislodged bumper, and a minor ding in the rear door. Well, they started taking it apart, and the whole rear door frame had gotten bent, and the bumper, etc. etc. Ended up over $6k.

One thing good came out of it--by the miracle of rebadging, her 2.5T turned into a T5!. Hope that's not too pimp.
I asked the guy at the BMW Body shop about whether it was a total and he said no way :dunno:

#14 ·
Man, I'm sorry to see and hear that. Good luck with the repair. And the insurance.

#16 ·
Rocket850 said:
Curious as to how this will all turn out for you. Keep us posted. Glad you didn't get hurt

~ Jay
Sure

#18 ·
Modest accident in my 330i cost $10k!!!!

Luckily, the other driver was found to be at fault, but the bill still shocked me and I had to temporarily shell out $1,000 cash.

The front headlight, wheel and axle. Didn't look bad at all. At least the car looked like new --- I brought it to a BMW approved car shop --- all parts were replaced, not fixed! One reason for the $10k bill. It's sickening.

Hey, replacing a run flat with a nail is $300. And I bet the tire is only available through BMW!

#19 ·
Gadzooks!! Sorry to see that, a little bit of my soul has been crushed just thinking that could be my car. Cell phones really are bad when driving. Have you ever been talking on the phone while driving, and after you get off you realize you totally were oblivous to everything going on outside while you were on the phone? Thats why I avoid it now. Recently I heard a news story of a woman who was in a car accident. Her arm was severed and when they found it, her hand was still clutching the phone. That pretty much says it all.

#20 ·
frank325 said:
Gadzooks!! Sorry to see that, a little bit of my soul has been crushed just thinking that could be my car. Cell phones really are bad when driving. Have you ever been talking on the phone while driving, and after you get off you realize you totally were oblivous to everything going on outside while you were on the phone? Thats why I avoid it now. Recently I heard a news story of a woman who was in a car accident. Her arm was severed and when they found it, her hand was still clutching the phone. That pretty much says it all.
Nothing gets between a woman and her phone conversation... not even driving. http://www.wlextv.com/Global/story.asp?S=4449021

#21 ·
akula57 said:
Luckily, the other driver was found to be at fault, but the bill still shocked me and I had to temporarily shell out $1,000 cash.

The front headlight, wheel and axle. Didn't look bad at all. At least the car looked like new --- I brought it to a BMW approved car shop --- all parts were replaced, not fixed! One reason for the $10k bill. It's sickening.

Hey, replacing a run flat with a nail is $300. And I bet the tire is only available through BMW!
Yeh - I know - I just replaced 2 tires as well!!!

#22 ·
Sorry to hear about your accident, but at least you're okay and not hurt. I am mixed about the cellphone users, I know they are annoying and don't pay much attention while in a converstaion. However, if he was not doing anything like in and out of his lane, then it wasn't his fault like you said. He didn't cause the accident, right?:dunno:

#23 · (Edited)
dtkw said:
Sorry to hear about your accident, but at least you're okay and not hurt. I am mixed about the cellphone users, I know they are annoying and don't pay much attention while in a converstaion. However, if he was not doing anything like in and out of his lane, then it wasn't his fault like you said. He didn't cause the accident, right?:dunno:
Did you read my post? Technically no - it wasn't his fault - totally mine - but he could have avoided it - but yes - it was my fault. I wasn't trying to say otherwise. :tsk:
I just know if it was the other way around I would have avoided it. Part of a driver's responsibility is to drive defensively - that's what differentiates a good driver from a bad one.:(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.