BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Parking Brake Failure

8K views 30 replies 11 participants last post by  roadrider57 
#1 ·
Well, another failure. Last night my parking brake did not in-gauge. Started the car after work and had the normally red parking brake light turned yellow, and the little yellow car appeared. :dunno:
I have a choice to either replace the whole actuator unit or a kit they sell with just the gears.
Anybody have experience with this issue? Thanks for your input.

#4 ·
Get the kit for around $150 from eBay.
Buy a bench-top press from Harbor Freight for $70.
Buy the Et801 BMW code scanner from eBay for $72 to reset the code.
Watch the video on YouTube while you do the job.
It is not all that difficult and you don't have to get under the car to fix it.
I just did it 2 months ago.

#5 ·
Thanks bobbrum. I ordered the parts and watched the video. My plan is when the parts come in, I'll have my mechanic do the repair. Working for a dealer, He wanted to replace until I told him about rebuild kit. He's in. I have a mechanical background, but
some jobs should be left to the pros. If I'm lucky, it's the gears and not the electronics...

#9 ·
i am going through that problem right now. I ended up buying the actuator because I found one on ebay for $330 delivered. Look around before you buy the kit because it may be cheaper that way. The plastic gears break over time in these cars which is a common issue apparently. I still havent changed mine out yet because of the work needed so I am waiting for my mechanic to reopen for the year.

#13 ·
This seems to be a good forum. More then not have had this problem. Lots of answers, which is a good thing. Once he takes it apart, I'll have an idea of my issue. I'll let everyone know. Should have kit sometime next week. Thanks for all the help guys. That's why I'm a member...

#27 ·
Got my numbers and my car will be ready tonight. I'll pick it up in the morning. I'm having him replace both cables. They have the same amount of pulls on them. He's charging me $86.00 per cable and $150.00 labor per side. Grand total= $472.00. I trust him. He's been a friend and my mechanic for 7yrs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.