BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Navigation Traffic Information Intermittent

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  charlesey 
#1 ·
Has anyone experienced traffic data appearing on the nav and after a certain time it all disappears and then some time again it comes back but with more or less icons of data?

#5 ·
While we are on this topic anyone knows why we don't have Real Time Traffic (RTT) in Canada? Google map has it.
Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
It is a business decision made by each BMW counrty organization (BMW US, BMW CA, etc.) as to the options offered, the packages offered, the technology services offered (either included in the purchase or as an add-on extra), etc. Some decisions may be influenced by available technology across a country.

There is a BMW Canada X3 product manager sitting in an office somewhere who made that decision. I understand thier job, but not necessarily why they make specific decisions.

#4 ·
The traffic info comes from FM-RDS (radio data services) in the US. It is picked up via the FM band (not cellular, not satellite, etc). Availability of it is dependent on where you are and how far you are from a transmitter.
...how far you are from a transmitter...of the station contracted to provide the information.

charlesey - maybe you are right between two providers?

#12 ·
I have had the same problem. I have 2 different routes I can take home and right as I get to the exit where I can choose which one based on the traffic I look at the nav. It is very frustrating when I choose because it shows no congestion and literally 2 seconds after passing the exit the entire route shows congestion and a mile later I am sitting stopped.

Other than a complete road closure, I can't decide if the traffic information has proved to really be that useful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.